1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

help - do you use US made blenders for idli batter?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sowparnika, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    i came to US in the last month, due to my overloaded luggage i couldnt carry mixie from india. after coming here i bought Osterizer 14 speed blender in walmart which costed me 30$.. I am really surprised.. its working very well for idly and dosa batter.. only thing is while your blending rice.. it takes more time to make soft batter.. but its totally fine and my idly's/dosa's are perfect.. :)

regards,
    ramyaganesh

2. prasannakiran

prasannakiran New IL'ite

Thanxx a lot Krithika & Ramya for that valuable info ....

Tomrw am planning to go walmart to buy osterizer blender.
    I wil give the feedback after using tat & i am sure i wil be happy with my idlies & dosa's

Thanx again ladies...

Happy Weekend.....:)

3. Oreochiu

Oreochiu New IL'ite

Can someone tell me more about using vitamix for grinding idli and dosa batters? Does it come out nice a smooth. I heard they are really good machines and want to find out if anybody uses it with good results. I know they are a bit more expensive but it seems really good with other stuff as well.

4. ADHVI

ADHVI New IL'ite

Couild anyone tell me whats the proportion we have to use with idly rava for making idlies? They dont comeout well for me

5. kss_v

kss_v New IL'ite

Actually, one of my friend uses food processor for making dosa/idli batter. they come out well itseems. you can try it out tooo.

6. solaichocku

solaichocku New IL'ite

Hi Sowparnika,
    I am using Hamilton Beech mixie for idli batter for last 2 yrs , I use 3:1 ratio and my idlis are good with that proportion.Try grinding with cold water and keep the batter in a tightly closed container and keep a heavy object above the container so that the batter will fermant well. It is funny to hear this but it works well for me.

Solai

7. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Adhvi,
    you need to take the Dal and rava in 1:2 ratio.. i.e for 1 cup of Dal you need to keep 2 cups of idly ravva.. make sure that you mixed them very well and it need to be kept a side atleast for 8 hours before making idlys..

hope it helps..
    regards,
    ramyaganesh

8. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi solai,
    thanks for the tip...got a osterizer sometime back...and working fine now...
    will def try heavy object tip next time...
    was preheating the oven for sometime and then keeping the batter in ...

9. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Ladies,
    I have been using blender for an year for Idli batter....I knwo friedns who have had it longer.
    I am using Long grain enriched rice for soaking and stuff. Ratio 2.5:1 = Rice : Urad dhal...

It s pretty cool and cost effective....

10. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Whatever brand of mixie/blender you use, you can grind the soaked rice/dal finer and much quicker without heating up the motor too !!! Just follow this simple tip which I got accidentally ..... didn't have fine salt to mix with the adai batter ; So I just added few Tbsp. of Coarse salt [kal uppu] along with the rice/dal and to my surprise batter was done in just 15 mins. :wow

Otherwise, earlier I used to grind just 3 handfuls for at least 20 mins. and to make whole batter, I would take nearly an hour !!! :bang
    I have bravely soaked for idli this weekend .... my first re-attempt with this new found tip of mine, after initial multi-failures.....

Hoping to get nice and yummy result .....:yes: