1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hell hath no fury like what?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    It is obvious that a six foot tall grandson has unsettled you so much!
    Good, I think, in a way that the love flies away through the nearest exit.
    Sad, that your own building in the heart has crumbled or collapsed to dust !!
    Thank God----------------!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

What an amusing and hilarious post. Next time I spot a cockroach, I will break out into a roaring laughter Big Laugh, thinking of your post. Who knows my laughter itself may scare the poor thing away!

From my younger days, the task of catching and slaughtering insects and their tribe fell on me. My mother who sounded like a butcher when she saw our Report Cards would scream and run all around the house when she spotted a cockroach. But those were my moments of glory. I would pretend to have caught one and chase my mother all over the house.

My husband comes from the lineage of Ahimsa-vaadis. Some years back while we lived in Penang, I noticed him standing near the kitchen sink for a long time and sometimes muttering "paavam, paavam". On closer look, I found him trying to catch some ants that were in the sink, with a paper and releasing them outside. The look on his face was similar to a man who had saved an entire family from drowning in a river. That is the quality of his chivalry.

When he encounters a cockroach (thankfully rarely, these days), he calls out to me in a very soft voice, lest he scare the insect away. His conditions are that neither should I spray insecticide on it, nor should I beat it. But I should gently chase it out of the house with a soft broom. This is not an easy job. First bringing the cockroach till the door requires the energy of an athlete. Next while still holding the cockroach with the broom and not strangling it, I have to peep out and see that there is nobody passing by. Then I have to gently toss the creature out and shut the door immediately. For all this ahimsa friendly effort, what am I rewarded with? Next time, we open the door, the smiling fellow peeps through the doorway with his whiskers and enters the house again.

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nivedi
    As always i enjoyed yur wonderful reply laced with your unique sense of humor. Your husband reminds me of my brother-in law. He too will not use any pesticides etc and ofcourse buys fruits and veggies organic. Your ending the post was as unique as yur start.

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    The way you talk about the crumbling of the buiding with such sadness makes it appear as though it was some kind of a 'Vasantha Maaligai' that I had erected! In fact, I am a practical romantic of the type who would fall in love only after matching the horoscopes! The awesome edifices symbolising love do not have to be in brick and mortar if one cherishes the memory of the loved one forever in the heart!
    Sri

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Nivedi
    I should admit that you have outdone me with your hilarious FB. I'll remember to use your phrase 'ahimsa friendly effort' whenever I need to dwell on violence related issues! But the most interesting thing is that your DH certainly appears to be my kindred soul!
    I am certainly against meting out capital punishment to non-fatal insects. I too belong to the school of thought that believes in guiding them out of the house uninjured with the gentlest of the brooms. The only problem is that while my DW complies with my request in most of the cases, she,however, gets kind of possessed when encountering a cockroach.

That episode of your DH saving the hapless ants from drowning in the kitchen sink certainly elevates him to the stature of Noah who built the Ark for saving the living beings from totally perishing in the Deluge. This is ahimsa of the most beautiful kind.
    Sri

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Your wife is blessed.
    I can make out what a die-hard romantic you are, with your words
    The awesome edifices symbolising love do not have to be in brick and mortor if one cherishes the memory of the loved one forever in the heart!
    Your loved one cannot ask for anything more in life !
    God bless you & your loved one.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Thanks AC for enjoying my experience.

8. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    Yet another post to prove your excellent sense of humour ! :wow! The lines that made me give a hearty laugh are
    Really I liked Indhra madam’s ‘ sincere ‘ attempt to finish the nasty creature ! Pl. convey this to her – if you are sure that she is friendly enough to take my comment as a compliment !

If at all cockroaches can speak & express what they feel ,
    we’ll definitely reconsider ( at least ! ) our ideas to kill them !

Anybody would have made the same reaction because your words were like ‘ eriyara neruppila ennaya oothinaamaadhiri ‘ - still … I( being a third person ) declare ur suggestion as a wise & noble one !
    Very rarely 3 of us ( myself , husband & daughter ) happen to remain in the same room . The moment somebody announces the arrival of a cockroach , I could hear only the slamming of the door . It ‘ll take a few seconds for me to realize that I ‘m the only human being in the room ! Collecting all my courage , I would step into the attached bath room & bring the plastic broom ( ordinary brooms are useless because sometimes they become hiding place for the cockroaches ! ) without making the least of noise ! Would return to the bedroom with trembling hands & run after that ‘ jandhu’ all over the room . Poor creature would never know that if it turns around & makes one step towards me , I would have run out of the room in a split of a second almost breaking the door ! Somehow I would do the ‘ samhaaram’ & call my dear dh & dd inside – who would dare to enter the room only after I show them the dead cockroach ! What worse is they would smile at me & say “ we just tested ur courage , that’s all “ !
    With regards ,
    Indhu.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Indhu
    It is a well known fact that music thrives more on people who appreciate good music than the few who can sing well. Same is the case with a good sense of humour. A man who can infuse humour in his writings and talks will soon become a humourless moron if tthere is no one to appreciate his jokes! In that sense, all credit should go to you for keeping alive the sense of humour in others. I have always observed that the passages that you select for special appreciation are the ones that I like most in what I write!
    It is a pity that your trysts with roaches are usually without audience. Your DH and DD know not what they miss! In fact, my DW whilst in the process of annihilating the karappasuras make me recite 'Aihiri Nandhini' sloka every time! Watching the DW destroying the evil surely increases her hubby's devotion for her!
    Sri

10. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

This is one hilarious post and Nivedi your FB - sone pe suhaaga jaisi baat ho gayi.

I remember the day or rather the night my parent s had gone out for some function and my sis, my bua and i were at home. Around 11 PM we found a cockroach flying around the room..it was quite late and all the neighbours had slept so couldn't call out to anyone for help.

all 3 of us got into a mosquito net and when my parents returned around 12.30...no one would venture out of the net to open the doors and let them in. The tamasha went on for abount half an hour and finally when my parents really lost their temper for making them stand outside in the middle of the night...we slowly ventured out and opened the door.