1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Periods Issues With Clots Every Month

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, Apr 25, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

My iron levels are,
    Oct2019 & Jan2020
    Iron. 37. 54.
    Normal range(27-159)
    Iron saturation. 9%. 15%. Normal (15-55%)
    TIBC. 412. 397
    Normal range 250 - 450 ug/dL
    UIBC. 375. 343
    Normal range 131 - 425 ug/dL
    Ferritin. 97. 154
    Normal range 15 - 150 ng/mL

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Endometriosis, fibroids, hormonal issues etc can lead to heavy bleeding. I have through this after 1 year following the birth of my dd( changing pads every 2-3 hours for the first few days) . Its natural to have clots with heavy menstrual bleeding, but varies with person. But there was no obvious reason in my case. So doctor prescribed me birth control pills. First one didn't work. So prescribed second one. That helped. I took it for more than six months. It was effective. It is not good to take if one have intestinal issues. Severe bleeding can weeken our body, lead to anemia, affect immune system and its overall function. So please seek help.

Menstrual clots: Are they normal? Causes and when to see a doctor

Its quite natural to have low iron,/ hemoglobin levels after heavy periods even for a healthy person. So take iron tablets ( I use slow release iron ). Also eat iron rich foods like dates , spinach, etc.

I think you should consult a doctor and figure out the reason. Also test thyroid levels.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor . Just sharing my experience.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    gknew likes this.
  3. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Hi, it is normal to pass small clots during periods.
    Cycles change with age and pregnancy for some women

Heavy bleeding is when your 1pad gets fully soaked within 1-2hrs and you need a change.

It is normal flow if you change pad evety 4 to 5hrs. That's not heavy bleeding. So please don't panic.

When pregnant, the uterus lining becomes thick with blood and other tissue that acts like a cushion for the growing baby.

So after abortion, during normal cycles, it is common that the uterus is shedding the old blood. Hence you maybe passing some clots.

And your iron profile looks normal.

Low hemoglobin levels (called as anemia) would also be a reason of passing clots and heavy bleeding.

But in your case, I don't think you have heaby bleeding.

Please don't worry and maybe after lockdown settles, you can visit for a scan just for ypur mental satisfaction.

But I think you are not having any problem.

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @DDream. Appreciate your reply.
    I tested my thyroid levels during my physical and it was normal. Dr also suggest me to take thyroid ultrasound and I did that too. That was normal.
    I am not taking any birth control pills now. I will discuss about this with my doctor. What's slow release iron tablet? I am taking iron supplements prescribed by my Dr.

5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the reply.
    Yeah, I can understand that heavy bleeding comes after the abortion. But it's been more than 17 months and it's still the heavy bleeding with clots every month. That's why I was concerned about.

6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Are you taking any magnesium supplements? I am planning to take magnesium supplements for my jaw and neck pain which started 10 months back. I have been told it's muscle tightness and dysfunction. So planning to try magnesium. Do you take magnesium malate or glycinate?

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

No I’m not taking regularly.
    I usually take it whenever I feel constipated or getting muscle cramps. Magnesium oxide causes too much diarrhoea so stopped it.

gknew likes this.