1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Periods Issues With Clots Every Month

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, Apr 25, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I was not able to continue my second pregnancy. I had surgical abortion suction method in Nov 2018,I was 7wks pregnant.I got my periods after the abortion and it lasts for few days.I went to abortion clinic for followup in dec 2018.They did trans vaginal scan quick check for 1 minute and said uterus is empty and no infection.Is abortion incomplete after so many months?After the abortion, my periods are very heavy till now.Periods are very regular after the abortion.Before abortion, my periods are irregular and I miss few months.Now, it's very regular and it lasts for 4 to 5 days. Its very regular and it comes almost the same date every month.The flow is very heavy for first 3 days. I sometimes see clots in the toilet during cycle day 1 and 2.The clots are not very big like lemon. Small ball size(guess it would be1 to 1.5 inch length).I used to change pads every 5 hours from cd1 to cd3.This is the same every month after the abortion.Is this normal? What could be the problem? I didn't visit any gynecologist after that.So,am just worried any issues after abortion causing heavy flow periods with clots. I never had periods with clots before this abortion. I used to have 5 day cycles only with normal flow. Is this normal?
    Thank you for reading this post.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would go see your gyn. Do you have a history of fibroids?

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

No. I don't.
    I don't have any other issues than this clots. No pain though during periods.
    What's fibroid? Is clots passing is a symptom for fibroid?
    Anyone had fibroids before? Pls share your inputs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Fibroids are benign growths in the uterus. Depending on their position in the uterine cavity they can cause heavy bleeding and clots. They can be detected on an ultrasound.

gknew likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I never had fibroids before. I am not sure if I have fibroids after this abortion. I didn't have any ultrasound after that. Had only one abdomen scan in India as part of regular health check-up. Not pelvic scan.
    I didn't see any information about fibroids in that abdomen scan.
    I have to check with my PCP and get a scan. But planning to wait till this crisis get over. Still confused if it's a wise decision to go to hospital at this current situation.

6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know if I can wait and check.
    Anyone who had fibroids before, how was your experience and how did you treat it?

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It may not even be fibroids in your case, I just gave an example of something that can cause heavy bleeding. You can make an appointment with the gyn now for the future, because everything will be crowded once things start getting back to normal. If you are losing a lot of blood you might also want to get your iron levels tested, unless you have already done that during your annual physical.

gknew likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks again @MalStrom.
    Yeah, I tested iron levels during physical. It was low and Dr put me on iron supplements. This is the first time my iron values were low during physical. Not sure if this heavy periods is the reason. I am taking iron supplements now. I didn't discuss about this heavy periods with my PCP during my physical. I thought this will go off on it's own after few months. The clots are more in the CD 1 to CD3. Rest of the two days will be normal. It's little scary to see those clots in the toilet. Sorry TMI.
    I will check with Dr soon after this situation gets back to normal.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

10 Natural Ways To Deal With Heavy Blood Flow During Periods

Heavy periods could be due to many reasons like hormonal issues, fibroids etc. It leads to iron deficiency which in turn is responsible for hair loss(I remember your thread regarding hair loss)
    Magnesium supplements are very good for such issues. Consult a doctor regarding this. But never take Magnesium oxide as it causes diarrhoea and it doesn’t absorb well

gknew likes this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @shravs3.
    Yeah, my iron levels are low and am on supplements. I am not taking any vitamin c or magnesium for absorption. I will check with doctor soon. I am just scared to go to the hospital at this current situation. Anyway, Dr will send in a script for the scan. So, I am planning to wait till this situation gets better. I think this is not the right situation to get into the doctor's office.

Yeah, you are right. I have a huge hair loss and I told that to my doctor during my physical. That's the reason she tested my iron levels. Usually iron panel is not done as part of my physical.
    I don't have fibroids before. No other symptoms though. I am not sure if I developed those recently after this abortion.
    I am just holding back myself. Thanks for the link.

shravs3 likes this.