1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy food substitues and smart eating.

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by shivachoubey, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Fourth Set :-

11. While making dishes like pongal or kesari to avoid the ghee/oil involved make it more soggy and finally add few teaspoons of ghee for your satisfaction instead of helping your intestine take bath in ghee/oil.When it really hot sure you will not mind the absence of ghee and oil.

12. Avoid rice totally for dinner.that too people who do not work-out kindly move away from this habit. If you are not satisfied with a light tiffen and cannot get-up without tasting rice,in the end better whip a handful of rice, little curd, dash of salt and enough water to corn soup consistency and drink it. You'll feel the taste and happiness of inatking rice.But please avoid this slowly.

13. Chew and enjoy and your food. Eat slowly every piece. In tamil they say "norunga thinnaal nooru vayadhu"meaning the more you chew and eat the more you live healthier. not only healthiness is acheived. the act of over-eating is also reduced for sure.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Fifth Set:-

14. Instead of sticking on to same old idli/dosa/roti try variations or atleast a variety in thesame menu itself by introducing different greens or veggies or fruit pulps

15. We saute most of the veggies while making curry or gravy.If we steam the veggie 3/4th and then saute the intake of oil will be less as they are almost cooked.Avoid microwave steaming instead use the normal way.

16. For few stir dry curries letz make the habit of adding pepper powder or green chillies instead of red chilli powder. the usage of oil is more when we add chilli powder so as to remove the raw smell of chilli powder and the veggies are over cooked too due to this long process.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sixth set:-

17. Mix various dhals while making gravy or sambhar. introduce more moong dhal as the gastric problem is less compared to other dhals.Add veggies that blend well with dhals and mash them well.Most of the country veggies fall in this category.As shiva said pumpkin is the best.

18. Dry roast papad over flame rather than deep-frying.Avoid rice based papad's and introduce more urad dhal based.Eat them when you have an urge to eat chips. Make masala papad's for a variation

19. Avoid yolk for obese and elders. While making a French toast or Bombay toast. Leave out the yolk, beat the egg white add little milk for diluting rather than being dipped in egg fully. Substitute honey for sugar if you are really conscious.A little amount of sugar is not a problem though.Dip the bread in this mixture and toast.

20. Most of the south Indians have the habit of taking chilli powder and salt mixture for cucumbers and mango. A healthy variant is to powder channa dhal/pottu kadalai/pori kadalai finely along with little pepper and salt.Once you try this with cucumbers you'll love it.

4. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the cool thread, ladies!:cheers
    Cindhu: Great tips. Really very useful to all of us. :thumbsup

I would add one more benefit to the use of pepper powder instead chilli powder. Pepper is believed to have cooling properties, the opposite of chilli powder, which according to folk medicine, is believed to be heat inducing. It is also believed to help in faster digestion. So for the past few months, I have been adding more pepper powder for taste and lil kashmiri chilli powder just to give the color. :)

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi shiva,RG,sunitha and hat,

thanks for your support..will try to come up with more useful tips :thumbsup

expecting more from you all too

Seventh set :-

21. Read in some other section of our forum to add avocado/butter fruit pulp while kneading for roti's. It is one of the richest source of vitamins and never gives a hint of itz existence it-seems.Also makes the roti soft.What else do we need to try it?

22. While making use of coconut milk for dishes like aapam mixing little amount of normal boiled milk; it helps us avoid the fat in coconut

23. plan a meal with 2 veggies and raita or 1 veggie, 1 spinach curry and salad along with rice and dhal. Sure a big process but these side dishes helps us reduce the quantity of rice.

24. Adding roasted or steamed peanuts in mixed rices enhances the flavour also the vitamins in it are absorbed. No need to find a day for peanuts as evening snack.

6. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Hey Cindhuja,

Iam at loss of words to thank you.:)

I will also share certain things that hit my mind today.

We can mix peas,corn,rajma or any other cereal/lentil with our normal dry curry/roast to increase the protein intake.

Increase the intake of ginger,garlic and onion too.

7. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Hey Cindhuja,

You are a gold mine of knowledge on this subject. Great information, I had gone through all the sets of your advice. thanx again.

8. skavithajaya

skavithajaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Cindhuja,

Thanks for your wonderfull tips:bowdown. I was searching for this kind of thread....very informative...iam in the process of reducing my wt, please suggest some healthy food for me...iam working in marketing fieldComputer Typing, need lot of stamina.....i feel hungry inbetween if i take oats in breakfast....so kindly :helpsuggest me good dishes to reduce my weight and to maintain my stamina for 10hrs.

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi shiva,RG and mikeslo,

you people made my day :thumbsup...my pleasure to share these with you people though i don't practice few of them :wink: thought of sharing it atleast..will come with more number of tips asap

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite