1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Health considerations as I plan for a second baby

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by lakshmi0502, Jan 30, 2007.

1. lakshmi0502

lakshmi0502 New IL'ite

hello friends,

I am a mother of a 4 year old boy. I am planning to have another child but I am not sure if i have the same health conditions as i had for the first child. I want to make myself fit before i conceive. Is there specific tablets or diet prescriptions to be followed.

I don't have any sickness in particular.

Plz guide me thro'

Thanks 'n' Regards,
    lakshmi:)

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Re: parenting

Hi Lakshmi,

If you go to yr gyn., then, she will put you under the prenatal vitamin tablets for 2 to 3 months or until you are pregnant(of course, you can continue later too) which makes yrself and yr kid be healthier. Other than that, start taking nutritious diet from now onwards.

Whatever you take, during or after second pregnancy, you will find some difference physically which is unavoidable and very common with all ladies. So, cheer up and all the best..

Rgds.

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Re: parenting

Dear Lakshmi,
    Yes like Ami said, you will definitely find a lot of differnce between your first and second delivery, not just physically but also mentally now that you need to take of two kids and two adults. you would have had a lots of time to spend with your first kid, you would have taught him a lot and spent much of time with him a lot and after your second you have to divide your attention between both which is sure to create tantrums from your first kid.

Hey btw I am not discouraging you, just giving you my experience thats all. If you have help(I dont have one), from your family members or atleast of a maid then you could definitly be comfortable. Also take healthy food right from now till your baby is 3 years old as till then you will need a hell lot of energy to keep yourself fit.

Wishing you all the best for everything

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

You have probably taken the plunge already! Good luck.

I would say that you start exercising regularly from right now - paying attention to the back. You go into the second pregnancy with a weaker back and you need to be fit to avoid back pain during / after pregnancy. If you have had a C-section before, all the more reasons to do this. Simple aerobics and back stretching exercises done regularly go a long way. In the 4 th month of pregnancy, you could enroll in the special exercise classes that many clinics now offer.
    Another thing is the Keigel exercise - contracting and releasing pelvic muscle - helps for normal delivery.

5. Shardu

Shardu New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i am asking for info sake. what would be the situation like during 2nd pregnancy. my first one was hard to go by. i had hyper -emisses (excessive vomiting). it took a long time to go away almost 6 months into my pregnancy. even if i drink a 1/2 cup of water i used to end up vomiting it. nothing used to stay every think was just comming up. most of the time i was on IV fluids. that was hell! after i came out of that from 6th month i had too much edima in my legs and hands. so much that my nails started to sink in and my toe nails got infected and they had to cut out a part of the nail vertically down for both my legs during the 7th month. nothing worked even if i put my legs up for most part of the day. finally i had a c-sec baby. the baby was a full term baby.
    but the whole experience was terrifying for me.
    after the baby was born it was even more difficult to manage alone. cause am living out side india. just me and my husband.
    most people tell me that next time it won't be so hard. but i find that hard to believe. i never want to go to india. so IF by any chance i have another child... i am scared of what i have to go thru....
    sharda