1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Health benefits of Almond ...

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by lahy15, May 21, 2008.

1. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Almonds are considered to be the healthiest and most nutritious nuts of all. Owing to the fact that almond contains a great deal of nutritional value; it is termed as the source of well-balanced food. It has profound health benefits, which prove vital in stabilizing the health state of a human being. Almonds make a great after-meal snack choice, as they reduce the blood sugar levels and free radicals from the body. It has even been noticed that almonds reduce the risk of weight gain, if taken twice a week. So, if you want to add that crunch to your food, along with significant health benefits, switch to almonds and stay healthy. From some important nutrition benefits of eating almonds, read on.

Nutritional Value of Almonds
    In 1-ounce serving of almonds, the following nutrients are found:
    • Protein - 6.0 g
    • Carbohydrate - 6.0 g
    • Fat -15.0 g
    • Saturated Fat -1.5 g
    • Mono Fat - 10.0 g
    • Poly Fat - 3.0 g
    • Dietary Fiber - 3.0 g
    • Soluble Fiber - 0.057 g
    • Insoluble Fiber - 2.436 g
    • Sugar - 2.0 g
    • Vitamin E - 10.0 IU
    • Thiamin - 0.06 mg
    • Riboflavin - 0.22 mg
    • Niacin - 0.95 mg
    • Vitamin B - 6 0.03 mg
    • Folate - 17.0 mcg
    • Vitamin B -12 0.000 mcg
    • Biotin - 6.0 mcg
    • Potassium - 207.0 mg
    • Iron - 1.0 mg
    • Calcium - 75.0 mg
    • Magnesium - 84.0 mg
    • Phosphorous - 147.0 mg
    • Zinc - 1.0 mg
    • Copper - 0.27 mg
    • Calories - 170.0
    Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Almonds
    • Almonds help in the prevention of cancer, as they are low in saturated fat.
    • They contain protective nutrients like calcium and magnesium, which assist strengthening of bones.
    • Almond contains phyotchemicals, which protect against cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
    • It considerably reduces the risk of heart attack.
    • Almonds also help in checking blood cholesterol levels.
    • They also contain lots of fiber, which is good for the system.
    • Almonds contain folic acid, which is believed to reduce levels of homocystein, the amino acid thought to contribute to the buildup of fatty plaque in the arteries.
    • Almonds assist in controlling diabetes, by lowering blood sugar after meals.
    • Almonds provide essential anti-oxidants and help in the clean up of the free-radicals in the body.
    Regards, Suni... :)

Admin Note: Do check other threads on almonds!

http://www.indusladies.com/category/1/Health-Wellness
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/129462-share-benefits-almond-oil-skin.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/178275-olive-oil-almond-oil-best.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/161251-goodness-of-almonds.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/75465-almond-oil-face-skin-care.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013

2. anshulkumar

anshulkumar New IL'ite

hi Suni,

thanks for the post.I ate overnite soaked almonds through out my pregnancy, i dont exactly know what it does but i did it as my mother asked me to do so...

cheers,
    Anshul

3. jelaja

jelaja New IL'ite

Hi,

Thank you very much for this info on Almonds, I never knew it prevents cancer, protects against cardiovascular disease and controls blood sugar, this little nut is definitely a blessing. Do you have any idea how many should we have twice a week to prevent weight gain?.

Jelaja

4. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Anshul,

This is what unverified home grown grandmother wisdom says.

1--- It seems the outer skin of almonds is hard to digest and therefore heat-producing. Nuts are easier to digest and their nutrients are more readily available if they are first soaked overnight Salt in the soaking water activates enzymes that neutralize enzyme inhibitors in the skin.

2--- Soaking almonds does not take away nutrients as they are with skin when soaked.

3---When almonds are the first thing in your stomach after arising, they set the hydrochloric acid tolerance for the day, providing all-day protein digestion. When almonds are eaten first, they are efficiently digested since stomach acids are concentrated after the nightly fast. (If you leave hydrochloric acid alone in your stomach, the saliva and hydrochloric acid would become toxic.) Presoak organic raw almonds in distilled water overnight for quick germinal action. When soaked, almonds act as protein plus nitrogen. This protein helps your blood sugar stabilize throughout the rest of the day. Eat one almond per ten pounds of bodyweight, more if you want to gain weight and less if you want to lose weight. Water soluble vitamins are vitamin C and B complex. Almonds have Riboflavin which is water soluble. But you can get riboflavin from spinach, dairy foods, eggs, broccoli which are better option for riboflavin than Almonds.

4--- Almonds exhibit an alkaline effect in the body. This means that alkaline rather than acidic substances are formed when Almonds are consumed. Soaking Almonds overnight before eating can further enhance the alkaline properties of this nut

But I have been eating almonds without removing the skin.
    Almonds skins have some nutritional properties. Here is the information I have found:

Not only do apple seeds contain cyanogens, precursors to cyanide, but peach pits, almond skins, citrus fruits and some berries contain them as well. There are several varieties of this nut; the sweeter "soft shell" and the bitter "hard shell" Almond. Only the sweet variety is used for eating with the skin. Soaking some bitter ones removes the bitterness and make them edible.

Whole Almonds (with Skins) Provide Most Heart Healthy Benefits
    The flavonoids found in almond skins team up with the vitamin E found in their meat to more than double the antioxidant punch Twenty potent antioxidant flavonoids were identified in almond skins in this study, some of which are well known as major contributors to the health benefits derived from other foods, such as the catechins found in green tea, and naringenin, which is found in grapefruit.

Hope you find these useful ... Regards, Suni ... :)

5. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Jelaja,

Just 10 almonds five times a week is good for health.

Regards, Suni... :)

6. kachapapad

kachapapad New IL'ite

Nice explanation! Now I can convince (scientifically) my husband to eat almonds in the morning.

7. rb020606

rb020606 New IL'ite

Very nice Info. about almonds. Thanks.

8. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

You are Welcome Anshul and rbo ... Regards, Suni ... :)

9. cheenu

cheenu New IL'ite

Suni...
    Again a very informative post:)...i never understood why my mother was so adamant that i take soaked almonds everyday...guess she all the way knew the benefits of this lttle nut:)
    Thanks a tonn for such gr88 information.
    Suni U Rock:)
    Cheenu

10. shanthi krishna

shanthi krishna New IL'ite

Hi, this is a news tio me. All this time, I have been thinking almonds are not good for heart.