1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Having kids preparing for board exams ?????

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

I just would like to share this info..there is series on question & Answers regarding cbse 10th, 12th, and combatting exam fears in the Hindu Education plus.

I find it very informative, to the extent kids are asking about the portions that are covered and not covered and tips about studying answering...hope it is useful to those parents and students who have kids in 10th,12th.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all those mom's with cbse board kids,

From this year, the board has aptitude exams for the kids. that is i think 20 marks to test the aptitude of the kids in maths and science. in a way i welcome it that kids will learn to use what they learn but again what if they have been trained to rote...bonkbonk.

I think practicals are over or going on..this is to say all the best...

3. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanthi ma'am

I too join you in wishing all the students/kids:wink: appearing for board exams/exams this year..

All The Best.."And I Feel Proud Of Its Rich And Varied Heritage", this is how our pledge goes...Let us not stop with that. It is also our duty to make India feel proud of its sons n daughters..

This comes for the parents whose wards are appearing for exams/board exams shortly...Pls be cool..You cannot make your child score one mark higher by walking from one room to another in your house when your child is in exam hall...This is what i used to say to my mom n dad when i was in school..Why to make your pulse rate go high or shoot your bp up, when there is nothing you can do about it. Today's kids are intelligent in some way or the other.

Love
    Meena

4. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

This is a nice thread. I just wanted to share my board exam experiences.......maybe it will help some of you.

I never got tensed for both - X and XII, board exams. And in a way, I have to thank my parents for that. My mom just knew when my exams were starting(she never asked nor did I tell which exam was on which day) and my dad was even better - he didnt even know when my exams were! ;-) So the absence of two sources of tension was more of a confidence booster I guess. :-D

I rarely went to school after January. I used to sit and home and study. And studying doesn't mean studying continuously for hours on end. If I study for 2 hours, I will take a break for half an hour. The break will refresh my mind and the next 2 hours will be productive. Without a break, the time one has to put in will increase - do not make this mistake. Also, I rarely watched TV during my breaks. TV somehow has a negative effect. I used to chat with my mom, go out for a ride on my cycle or just laze around!

During the exams, I just went through whatever I had read. Had atleast 9 hours of sleep the night before the exam and never carried any books with me to the exam hall. I never discussed anything with my friends before or after the exam either. I remember watching some movies on star movies before my maths exam and KBC before some other exam. What I want to say is, the key to doing well is being relaxed.

Some of you might think - What is she saying? Is she not taking things too easily? Well, this is the way both me and my brother(we are academically different) have written our exams and we did exceedingly well. As Shanvy said in one of the posts here, it looks as if the parents are the ones who writethe exams and they really put a lot of pressure on their kids. I think all these parents should take a leaf out of my parents' book. :)

I would like to narrate a small incident here, mainly to let the parents know that marks do not amount to much. This is about two of my friends in college, X and Y. X was an average student who got barely 80% in his boards and averaged 75% in college. He had attendance shortage and all but really enjoyed college and hostel life. Y was one of the top scorers in class, not only in college but also in his school. He had been one of the rank-holders in his school. Y rarely lost a day in college and was very studious and liked by all the lecturers. Today, Y earns a decent salary in a reputed IT concern. You might want to know about X. Well, X earns more than 2 times Y's salary and is working in a better concern than Y is. :)

Have a wonderful time writing exams!

Regards,
    Anitha

5. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

hi anita,

hats off to u my dear. I feel so happy that u enjoy ur life at the same time u study....

My daughter is a cool cat but a topper & an allrounder.....

but still I am a tensed person always worrying about her.

I was like 'y' always a 100% attendance holder , studious. But today where do I stand? My atmost importance is family.......

I have left my wonderful career as a teacher ( though I do a part time job).

Today I am slowly changing myself ..........

I feel human values are more important , not marks.......

one of our friends , an excellent trainer (NLP etc) gave a very good lecture to me that marks are not the only thing in life , so many other factors are important......

so when I read ur thread I remembered what he told us last week.

Thank u Anita, Hope I change slowly & hope I don't put more pressure on my daughter as she will be writing 10 th in another 3 years.

prabha

6. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Prabhabala,

It is nice to know my FB had a positive impact. :) I see a lot of parents nowadays who get really tensed during their kids' exams. In fact my SIL wants to remove "Chutti TV" from her list of channels because her son's exams are approaching. And the poor fellow is in 3rd standard only! WitsendWitsend My parents never thought of cutting cable connection even during our board exams!!! I wish parents of today will be more relaxed........say like their own parents or grandparents. My husband's grand mother is the best person regarding all this. After exams, all she asks is, "You have passed right? As long as you pass this class then there is nothing to worry"! :2thumbsup: I will keep wishing that you will not put too much of a pressure on your daughter and just let her be!

Regards,
    Anitha

7. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

hi anita,

my daughter shruti is always a topper. studies very less.

but still I am particular about everything .

But I will try to make everything normal when she writes her board.

prabha

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread Shanthi,

I guess its the peer pressure for the parents... to boost in their circle... that their kids are doing great!!!

But the fail to see the reality.. A topper and a average smart person will both end up in the same job... The world that we are living in doesn't care if you are a topper.. all it cares is whether you can get the job done.. Its not the numbers that they gathered thats going to help.. but their intelligence, smartness and other characters that they build around while growing. I pity the parents who try to load stuff into the innocent kids.. hoping that they would become bill gates one day..

I am not saying they should be just let go and have them do whatever.. Just be cool.. Those years will never come back again.. balance it out. have them understand the reality in life and let them choose their fate.. dont force it to them..

I have seen here people pushing a 4 year old, 3 year old to kumon and other sorts of stuff.... they are kids for heavens sake.. :eek: There is a proverb and I strongly believe it.. "the more you load them in their younger age, the more they are to hate it when they grow up"

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AnithaA,

You know I have a different type of problem. my DD is obsessed about being the topper and my DS is a easy casual one..so I have to make DS understand what exams mean and to tell DD to be cool.

I feel the marks alone don't make a person. there are other factors, the passion to learn, use what was learnt to make a success in whatever field u learn..

I feel if the parents relax a little and make the kids understand exams are neccessary because of the system of education but not everything the balance should be maintained..

Looks your parents were great..and you were cool...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Nandu,

You are right about peer pressure... when you are in a group, the first question what is your child studying...then how is she in studies..how does she study..do u sit with her..

I have a neighbour who feels she has never seen my children studying and i am too cool...they try to induce the pressure..sometimes i feel bad, am I taking it too cool as a parent...then I realise my mistake and relax...

I feel not everybody can get 100% and not everybody who gets 100% is intellligent...and parents have to understand the capacity,callibre, and limit of the kid before forcing...or what u say..."the more you load them in their younger age, the more they are to hate it when they grow up" tends to happen.

How many suicide are attempted when the results are announced..if only parents were more supportive and understanding their children.

I believe overall development is more important than the syllabus. There is a boy in my DD class who tells her please help me learn before the exam or this time my mother is going to break my leg..he is so scared of failing..and they are in 7th. I told her to tell the boy to relax and put his full effort and concentrate...this time he has done well in all the exams and his mother called up home to thank..I did have the guts to tell her to ease out the pressure..(felt i will be interfering or denting her ego..)

The list of classes children go in chennai is mindblowing..I know kids who wake up by 4.30 to be in the tennis coaching by 5.30a.m.

What is childhood...Are we removing the child from our kids..and forcing them to grow .. sorry about my ramblings....