1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have anyone of you gone through this?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by chweetos, Nov 27, 2013.

1. chweetos

chweetos Junior IL'ite

Hi,

To begin with, I have been married and as most of you had posted it has been a substantially rough patch with ILs. About them, FIL is a very nice person but is dumb and very afraid of MIL. MIL is authoritative and tries to interfere and control everything, especially in the matters of finance. She doesn't want to even move a glass at home but has all the energy to travel allover the world. She always complains of lack of money (she is still working) but has loads of investments, gold etc. DH is the elder one and has a younger brother and he's married and has a kid. My relationship with my co-sis is ok and she has her share of grievances. She has never done anything for my DS- not even bathed him once even when he was an infant. She insults my parents by not even welcoming them when they enter home to see me. During my pregnancy, there wasn't a single day when I had not shed tears. DH will support me most of the times but sometimes will ask me to adjust and support them. DH is very attached to FIL and BIL, though he knows that what she does is wrong.

She used to purposely insult me by praising co-sis in her initial days of marriage. Also she bought and did a ffew things for her purposely to hurt me. I brushed them away since I knew that she was not doing it out of affection for co-sis. My co-sis faced similar problems after we moved abroad. BIL is not yet settled in life and doesn't have a good job. We spent so much for IL's visit here (she bought gifts for every relative including her colleagues and DH paid for everything.) She wanted to visit every single road here and had all the energy to roam around. For my DS's first b'day she never got anything- only a dress for him. But now for my BIL's child she has got a gold chain. I'm not at all able to digest this because, we spend so much for them, but this partiality drives me nuts. I brushed aside whatever she did to me but I feel what she's done to my child is sheer betrayal. She acts very well saying that my DS is her first grandson and misses him so much. They why the hell did she not but anything for him? I get furious at the very thought of this and want to retaliate but I'm just controlling myself. Now she wants to visit us again and the very thought of meeting her is getting on my nerves. I don't know how to react in this situation. Help me with your thoughts please!! I'm losing my peace of mind, motivation, happiness and spending sleepless nights due to this.

2. Nirash

Nirash Senior IL'ite

What a swine, ur MIL! Trying to create jealousy and rift in the family for her own gain! Best for you not to react but highlight to your husband and get him to tell his mother that it is not appropriate that she treats both children differently. If he doesn't see it that way and doesn't have the courage to say anything to his mother, I would find a moment when you have the whole family around and indirectly make it known that you have noted her behaviour and that it is unfair and unacceptable. Maybe say to your son "beta, dadi seems to have forgotten a gift for your birthday last year" or ask your co-sis to show the gift and make a comment "oh, what a nice gift! mummy, i don't recall you giving something to DS last year... But nice of you to think of it for so-n-so. Everyone loves a gift from dadi, no matter how small or big." Use this incident to your advantage and make your DH realise your MIL's unjust behaviour.

1 person likes this.
  3. chweetos

chweetos Junior IL'ite

Nirash,

Thanks for the reply. I politely asked her, "Mummy, U left DS for his B'day", She replied, "I just thought u'd ask me- Ur father said he's buying something so i did not buy.." I just did not want to create an issue then beacuse BIL's son's bday was on the next day and the poor child did no harm. That's the reason I've developed such a hatred towards her for being so mean.

4. sujivsp

sujivsp Senior IL'ite

Chweetos .. u r so sweet i think .... thats y u thinking for ur co-sis son :) tell ur hubby that it ll create something to ur child wen he grows..

5. chweetos

chweetos Junior IL'ite

Thanks Sujivsp.

Since DH loved FIL and BIL so much, he says that u should not value the blessings of elders in terms of money. He asks me to treat the dress and gold chain equally. We had a week long argument and he still fails to accept that what was done to his son is injustice. I don really know how to make him understand!!

6. chweetos

chweetos Junior IL'ite

Girls!! Please help me with your thoughts. I need motivation!!

7. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

my mil is also like this. she doesnt buy anything for my son. not for his first birthday or anything.

8. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

.If she's able to afford gold chain for 1 grandchild, why not for the other one? U also pl dont do anything special for ur MIL from now on... expectations lead to disappointment...i have not gone thru this personally but can understand how it feels...u are also justified in not spending too much money on gifts for them from now on.

9. Durgatmk

Durgatmk New IL'ite

Just ignore ur MIL....it's difficult but still take people as they are........ignore her cheap mentality of differentiating between two grand children's.....she is the elder one in ur family and she shud behave in a wise and genuine manner atleast to her grand children's....wen she is not just don't bother, it's not ur fault it's hers.....she might have intentionally done it to ruin ur happiness....just leave the lady behind and go ahead......only way to be in peace to ignore these people since we cannot change them......

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

So is your biggest peeve against your MIL that she refused to give your child a gold chain and she gave one to your nephew? So if she had given your son the darned chain, would that have led you to smooth out all the other rough patches you said you had with your MIL?

Please co not use words like injustice and all that for a mere gold chain. A gift, however small or big is to be valued for the thought behind it, not the price. Your husband seems like a sensible guy, listen to him and snap out of this. This is a very silly reason to harbor strong feelings like hatred against someone.

2 people like this.