1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hats off to all the unreasonable people!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheens Sir
    In the past few days , due to some inter planetary coincidence, I have been called unreasonable quite a few times. Most of it was pronounced by my teenage son. It has all started by my asking him to practice music. hmmm?? maybe a bad move or call on my part. "How can you be so unreasonable amma "? his query "That too on a weekend". That started the downward trend for me right there. Then ofcourse dh said "Arent you being unreasonable now?" when I asked him to come with me to do some "window" shopping..?!?!? And then my father said You are being very unreasonable when I told him I am still not losing weight inspite of following Chitvish RAW FOODs (ugghhhhh!!!!!!!) recipes.. And the my temple children who I am supposed to teach slokas got very annoyed and called me unreasonable because I said they should be there on time, cannot throw their footwear helter skelter and girls should dress more decently. Even my son joined the tirade quite happily claiming I was the most unreasonable of them ALL!
    Am not sure what to expect by posting this here Are you going to gloat or is this some side effect of reading this thread??! or maybe I am rambling too much:queen

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    Talking of 'inter planetary coincidence', let me tell you that the planets themselves can be most unreasonable as in my case. Throughout my 65 years, they have been playing the fool with me! If one planet relents and decides to be benevolent to me, the other eight give it such a nasty stare, the benevolent fellow instantly withdraws from the scene!

It is a general belief that people who carry more weight on their legs than normally permitted are usually very reasonable. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule like the Emperor Nero!. So I am surprised that you are so unreasonable making people do what they dislike most!

But then if being unreasonable gives you joy, you should continue the good work!
    Sri

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. Anandchitra

Yes in fact being unreasonable makes me feel empowered !! Cannot believe i missed out on this great fact all these years when I could have implemented and perfected this technique on the two other unsuspecting inhabitants of my home. Well all is not lost.
    Did manage to unreasonably drag dh to shopping,
    Did manage to unreasonably nag ds to practice music,
    Did manage to unreasonably expect more from the raw foods diet and forced it on father innocent..
    will continue list later as it goes on and on and unreasonably looooong!

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Le C & AC
    You are both, in your usual style giving life to the thread - reasonably so !
    New truths about being "unreasonable" are dawning on me, after reading your posts. I never realised that there can be so many facets to the unreasonable quality in a person !
    So, there is life & enjoyment in both - yes, Sri, I know they are two sides of the coin of life. You "philosophised" it right.
    Love,
    La C.

5. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    You are absolutely right. Nothing can equal the feeling of power that you get when you are unreasonable and still have your demands met!. Your list is awesome and it is striking that you are able to arrange it in order of importance!
    May your list grow!
    Sri

6. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    I thank you for choosing a reasonably simple topic ! Eventhough I ‘m against being unreasonable , I do agree with you as you say “ a demanding person gets more attention “ . I learnt this lesson through one of my close friends : she was a quiet & highly reasonable person . This good quality of hers made her face so many unpleasant events in her married life . Her co-sisters were of bold & demanding type - very unreasonable all the time . My friend , being reasonable , accepted everything & everyone . Alas … she was taken for granted even by the youngest member of the family ( kutties) . Whereas her co-sisters got things done in their favour through their unreasonable acts ! World is like that !
    When I go for shopping , I just ask my husband to stay back inside the car . I go inside , finish shopping & give him only the pleasure of settling the bill ! ( see how (un) reasonable I am !!! ) .
    The only place where I cannot tolerate unreasonable persons is playground . When my opponents play a foul game , I just give them a bi….g lecture on how to remain reasonable , quoting various incidents – at last …. they find no other way than to give in to me ! How do you consider my tactics - reasonable or unreasonable ? ? ?
    I liked your reply to AC ‘s FB :” Nothing can equal the feeling of power that you get when you are unreasonable and still have your demands met!. Your list is awesome and it is striking that you are able to arrange it in order of importance!
    With regards ,
    Indhu .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Indhu
    In her FB to this thread, Vidya has drawn our attention to the biblical statement of 'The meek shall inherit the earth'. We have a similar saying in Tamil, 'Poruthar Bhoomi aalwar'. But I think this concept is losing its relevance in the modern living conditions where we have come back to the principle of the prehistoric ages of the survival of the fittest. Ask anyone who is standing at a crowded bus stop if he believes in being patient and he'll burn a hole in you with a nasty look! The story of your classmate is a classic example of what too much adherence to being reasonable. That kind of character may appeal to readers of novels of Lakshmi and the like!

There is not much of a difference between playing a game or leading a life if victory is the primary objective. My advice is to be reasonably unreasonable!
    Sri

8. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir, It is a nice article on unreasonable people. I want to write about an incident that took place when i was working in an insurance company.

It was about 4 years when i had joined the insurance co. and we were the last batch of employees who were selected by all india selection examination. After that there was no recruitment in the company. So we were considered the junior most in the office. In each and every branch and divisional office there used to be a despatch clerk who does the inward and outward entries of daily mails. If the despatch clerk is on leave then the junior most assistant should handle his/her seat. When the despatch clerk was doing the job she had to make all the entries and write the addresses on the envelopes and give it to the substaff who had to put everything in the cover and do the franking and take it to the post office. The substaff who was in our office had lot of affiliation from a union and so he was making the despatch clerk to do the work of putting the letters in the cover also. She being a timid lady and also she did't have anyother work to do in the dept. continued without opening her mouth. Then she went on maternity leave. Being the juniormost i was asked to handle despatch after completing my dept work. Due to absence of adequate staff, i was already handling two department and i used to be tied up from morning 10 to 5.30PM. So i had to allocate time to do this despatch work. I said i will do this work 45 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening. I used to go the despatch clerk's seat in the morning and enter all the posts received in the inward register and send it to the Divisional manager and again in the evening around 3.30 PM i would go and enter all the mails in the outward register separately for courier and post and write the covers and tell the substaff to send them and get back to my dept and continue with my work. Two days went by none of the posts had left the office, i called the substaff and asked him what was wrong. He said the person who was doing the work before used to put all the posts in the cover so it was easy for him to send it. I explained to him patiently that since i am handling two other departments i will not be in a position to do that work and moreover it is the work of the substaff. He started arguing with me saying that it was the work of the despatch person. The matter went to the ears of the divisional manager and he called me over. The two union guys along with this substaff were standing there and the DM asked me why i didn't do the work. I said i am already handling two depts. and i donot have time to do this. He asked me why i shouldn't adjust. Because the union in which i was a member used to oblige for everything the management says and the other union is otherwise. I was stubborn saying that i cannot do this because it was the work of the substaff. The DM even went to the extent of scaring me that i would receive a memo from the Regional office. I said never mind take up the issue with the regional manager and i would also talk to him. When the issue was taken to the Regional Manager he gave a ruling that the work should be done only by the substaff and then that guy did the work. Unless other wise we make noise (wherever needed) we will not be noticed. Had i continued to do the work as that despatch clerk then this guy would have always been enjoying.

So it is needed to rise the voice wherever needed. But there are some places where rising the voice also doesnot work. We r living in a foreign country and here we have to stand in queues for paying electricity bills, telephone bills, clinics etc. The local kuwaitis will come, go to the counter straight and get their things done and leave the place. They will not bother about those standing in the queues. If someone raises objection they will shout at them and use all words of abuse and put the person in shame. So it is better to keep the mouths shut sometimes in such places.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Anandchitra

Dear CheensSir
    I am sure I am still suffering from the after effects of reading/posting to this thread because I heard it again;
    "You are so unreasonable. Because you are on a diet you cannot expect "EVERYONE to eat THIS food!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And also BTW "Where are you getting all this raw food recipes from??????????".
    hmmm what to do I guess i am unreasonable after all.:queen

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

AC Dear,
    I think you are unreasonable, after all !
    When I was on raw food diet, I was reasonable enough to cook "cooked food(?)" for my spouse - as they say, uzakkiley kizakku merku.
    Let reason prevail over you, AC - please do not punish Anand & Varun, unreasonably.
    Please be reasonable for my sake & do not quote the source of the Raw Food Diet. My name should not be unreasonably entangled in a domestic arguement.
    Love,
    La C.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008