1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hats off to all the unreasonable people!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    "what is reasonable and what is not depends far more on what is in your mind than on the state of mind of the person whom you are observing."
    That is an exceedingly nice observation!
    Every judgement that we make is based on our own perception of others. When we call someone unreasonable, it is only on the basis of what we consider as reasonable or unreasonable. The same person might appear very reasonable in the eyes of someone more demanding than him!
    But you must agree that things do not happen on their own. Someone has to take the initiative. It is possibly to hide the feeling of guilt that we are not able to take that initiative while someone else is willing to take it, that we call him unreasonable!
    You have not contradicted yourself at all! In fact, nothing is unreasonable if it is seen from the view of the other.
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I loved the following words, you have written to Shan in your reply

It is possibly to hide the feeling of guilt that we are not able to take that initiative while someone else is willing to take it, that we call him unreasonable!

We do want to cover up our "inability" and label him as unreasonable. But it is , bluntly putting, the attitude of
    Chee chee intha pazam puLikkm ( the case of sour grapes).

Let me quote yet another nice sentence, you have written to ria

The irony is that when I am unreasonable, I am aware of it but can do nothing about it!

It does happen very often to all of us and we can only use the phrase "on account of factors beyond my control" !

Both the repy posts are very enjoyable, Sri !
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Unreasonableness need not be considered a negative trait always. Sometimes we are forced to be unreasonable when we realise that we are being taken for a ride. Some people can not speak out under any circumstances even when they face atrocities being committed. I would rather call these people unreasonable!
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation. You are indeed very reasonable!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    That quote of Bernard Shaw is another great favourite of mine. Utterances such as this help us to get an insight into the working of Shaw's mind. He certainly was more human than he wanted us to believe! It was alright for Milton to have said things like 'They also serve who stand and wait' having been born exactly 400 years ago. Milton's personal life itself did not bear any testimony to what he said. I am glad that you have yourself negated all those medieval and biblical sentiments. In today's context, the people who stand and wait really serve those who are in a rush by allowing them to overtake them!

I would not brand Keralites as unreasonable. It's just that they can take orders from no one! The rebel in them makes them appear unreasonable! It's news to me that there are identical souls in Norway. The gentleman who stood in the ladies' queue was logically correct and that kind of an argument would be tolerated only by an intellectual crowd as that of TVM who would get impressed by such (il)logic!

You may be right about that Cromwellian sentiment of trusting in God and keeping the gun powder dry. But only people who can not help themselves make emergency calls for His Divine Intervention. By Sadhus I meant that category of helpless people!

And Vidya, believe me when I say that every time I post a new thread I sit wondering what your reaction would be! I cant thank you enough for your liberal praise.
    Sri

5. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

I think our society in general encourages people to remain silent. This is true for women mostly.

I am referring to the office atmosphere I had observed, over the years.. Many of the ladies were interested in playing coy and demure when it came to issues and said" oh the men will solve it, let us not do anything" Or " let that noisy female do the dirty work! why should we spoil our good names?".

And reaped the benefit sitting silently, and continued to be demure and coy!

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheenia,
    The reasonable demand of employees and the reasonable demands of hostelites might be considered unreasonable by both managements. Somtimes even the right of an employee is curtailed by willy management. This happened to me while I was in service and I had to fight for my right. I am posting an extract from my personal diary.

"We had a Manager Mr Majumdar, An Assistant Superintendent, A Kannadiga Mr Vijayagopal Das and A Superintendent, Mr Sen, a Bengali. Vijayagopal was maintaining the exchange and also was in charge for the operators and mechanics. He was ruthless and sly and would be very vindictive if people opposed him. Once I had a fight with him when he told me to see to hotline as well as PABX board when there were short of operators on a Sunday. He was waiting for an opportunity to avenge. When TKS was out of station <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> fell sick and I had to take him to the hospital. Though I informed from the hospital that I wanted one day casual leave, he did not sanction the leave, telling that he had to give overtime because I absented without getting prior sanction. So one day’s pay was cut from my salary. When I found this, I went to Majumdar and told him everything and requested him to sanction the leave. He told that he would talk to Vijayagopal and decide the matter, but he did nothing. I got very angry and then I had taken appointment with Divisional Manager, Mr. Adiga. I related to him the details and then he called Majumdar in my presence and asked why my leave was not sanctioned in spite of giving information from the hospital. He replied that Vijayagopal told him not to sanction. Then Mr. Adiga reprimanded him, being a higher authority if he was not able to use his discretion, it was very disgraceful. Casual leave was meant for unforeseen things only and no one could deny this to an employee.
    Only in our department there were no promotions or any other incentive where as in all other departments people were given efficiency bonus and other benefits. As there was no unity among the operators the management took advantage. Operators were satisfied with making free STD calls secretly.
    The operators were very much exploited. Even when they worked on holidays they only used to get compensatory off another day. According to labour rules, if any one worked on National holiday they are entitled to get triple payment. If they work overtime they were entitled to get double payment. There was no unity and so they never fought for anything. They were satisfied with the yearly increment and the grade revision benefits once in five years
    Leave alone reasonable or unreasonable demands, at times people have to fight even for their right.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Cheensaar,

As long as you remember to ‘highlight trivial issues of life’ which in turn enables us to ‘see the lighter side of life’, I will be thankful to you and will patronize your columns with full zest!

How true it is when you say that most of us pass the most significant things around us as insignificant. I can empathize with Chithra when she says she thought of you writing a blog on the mundane queues at a local office. While the likes of me would while away the time irritated, likes of you would be calling Bernard Shaw amongst others to give a method to the madness around:)

Shanvy’s words are most apt to describe what is reasonable and unreasonable, she surely talks from experience, I guess! As such, it is all very relative and depends on the situation and perception of one at any given circumstance.

I do consider my husband as very reasonable by nature, but at the same time, find him very unreasonable for not reacting towards a situation in the way I want him to!! I also find it amazing that he accuses me of being unreasonable, just because I said that he was too reasonable….don’t get it…huh…do you?!

Another awesome, thought provoking article from you. You sure possess an unreasonable talent for observing life’s various idiosyncrasies.

Looking forward to more...Kamla :)

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla,
    You write
    As long as you remember to ‘highlight trivial issues of life’ which in turn enables us to ‘see the lighter side of life’, I will be thankful to you and will patronize your columns with full zest!

Now, I know, why you don't come to my blog posts ! No complaints, my dear friend ! Just, just an observation !! All in lighter vain, please!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear incorrigible Chithra...!

You surely don't Mean what you wrote, do you...I highlight...All in lighter vain, please

Ha ha ha.......

But Chithra, I do admit I feel like a brat! I have been studiously avoiding the excellent blogs. It is most embarrassing to give lack of time as a reason for my absence from the blogspot...you will Never understand! Just seeing you contribute so many hundreds of recipes, feedbacks for feedbacks, religion, vedanta, Gita forums and now blogs.......you simply will not be able to understand!

One of these days.....I will catch up!bonk

LLLLLLove...Kamla

10. Cheeniya

Dear Jayalakshmi
    That's exactly what Bernard Shaw had summed up in his famous quote. It is pretty difficult not to marvel at the sagacity of some people who can conceptualise even the mundane things that happen in our day to day life and make us think about them. Noisy people who get things done is a daily occurence but it is left to people like Shaw to come out with a gem like what we are discussing!
    Sri