1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has Your Husband Ever Taunted You Like This?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by fallen, Feb 1, 2018.

1. fallen

fallen New IL'ite

My husband in a fit of anger said..."you get free food sitting at home". i dont work. i take care of kids...while he travels for work.

I am fully capable of working. i had a great job offer, but he was against it. as i would leave early morning for work and he would have to drop kids off to school, he refused to take that responsibility. plus he travels every now and then, so i had to reject the offer.

how can i work, unless he stop traveling?

when he said that to me...i died inside. i felt like a burden. a beggar.

i told him off. saying i can work. i dont do it because of you. its inconvenient to you , to the kids.
    i am sacrificing for the family.

he said no need to...if u want to furthur your career, go ahead...all the best to you.

?????????????????????????????

ouch !!!!

my career is not important. my kids are.
    thats why i stay at home.
    dont use that against me.

has your husband ever said that to you?
    i am curious.

GeetaKashyap likes this.

2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Take a chill pill dear. I have also compromised my career for both my kids sake. No my husband has not taunt me like this but you know...i feel even if he does I would just ask him to shut up reminding him that I am doing my bit as a partner by taking care of kids and by being a bread winner, its the least he could do for his family .
    Since it is said in the anger I don't think you need to take it so seriously. In a long married life people say all kinds of things to their partners. Its better to ne forgotten and forgiven at the same moment.
    My only concern is are you not happy without job?
    In yes, then find something suitable. But if you are , then no need to heed such taunt as they are short-lived and will be conveniently forgotten by your dh too.

radv and MonikaSG like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

No not said. But I can say that lot of us women derive our sense of identity through our careers. And I think you are too & in some corner of your heart are not too happy sacrificing that. And maybe that’s why his statement hurt you so bad.

I would say, get a job & make it work. He may not take up the entire job of getting kids ready & drop them off to school but he can help you get them ready & one of you can drop them to school.

If you ask me this all kids or all career choice is a path to “no redemption.” Either way it pinches you too bad. Balance it, get both & get your self esteem back. Take care!

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Tell him he gets free daycare/ child care, free driving , free housekeeping and other services . Find out what the market rate is and tell him he owes you that amount every month. Don’t forget to charge overtime for the times he travels.

NeetaR, GoneGirl, diamond1880 and 7 others like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Well said :thumbup:

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Invite him to sit at home and do your job. You go out to work and then tell him he gets to enjoy for free. Let's see how he likes it.
    But if you really want to work for your own sake and you have a good offer hire the help you need to run your household smoothly. Don't let his lack of assistance hold you back.

7. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

dear Op !
    pls give him this ouchh
    let us know :)

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Central jersey - Edison , woodbridge area .

Cost of in house nanny for 1 kid - Morning - 9:00 am - 6:00 pm - close to -- $1400 . includes cooking .

Nanny to drop and pick kids from school if no school bus - 10 $ a day
    Nanny to drop and pick kids from kumon, karate class, music class , library - list goes on. here it is transportation cost and waiting time

kids will not sleep by 6:00 pm. then between 6 :00 - 9:00 . homework , feeding and playing - additional cost.

weekend groceries , costco .
    washing clothes, if you are living in apartment . and common laundry.

i live in 3rd floor, DH takes all the clothes. he gets really tired. it is close to 70 lb for 4 people. that no nanny will do. :)

nothing is free food here. rest he can do the math.

ofcourse i forgot. - cleaning the whole sink of dishes at the end of the day when all you want is lie down and watch some tv. indian dishes are horrible, greasy and hard to clean.

9. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

OP - as madatmanoj said he is frustrated on something else and it has come out like this. It is not that you are not working, only you are not earning money. He is not asking you to do double work - to run home, take care of children and earn money.

sumalynux likes this.
  10. ririta477

ririta477 New IL'ite

Now this is the last thing anyone should say to a wife who has sacrificed her all for the sake of her family. People need to know your worth. Take the help of your parents/in-laws/creches etc to manage your children. They are indeed the most beautiful part of your life but do no keep sacrificing your happiness for their sake. Take up a job and if work from home is an option, then nothing like it. Earn for yourself, be empowered and do not take crap from anyone.

Sandycandy likes this.