1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone bought precious stones jewellery(Ruby, emerald,sapphire) from ebay India ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by ridgemma, Feb 1, 2012.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Has anyone bought precious stones jewellery(Ruby, emerald,sapphire) from ebay Ind

Hi Ridgemma

My DH is from Chennai and we plan to return back in a few months.

I remember for my wedding 2 years back, my MIL brought me to Narayana Pearls to look for white CZ jewelry for my reception. I really did not like any of the designs and was forced to buy one. Being a future DIL, I couldnt say no. Anyways, that set is now so tarnished, That my MIL went back to get it repolished in Narayana Pearls just 2 months back.

Then I realized , when I do eventually come back to Chennai, I must have my own favourite list of places where I would buy my kind of taste Costume jewelry. This is the list I have collected so far....They are on the pricier side..But I prefer to wear something which not everyone else is wearing...and which has an artistic touch to it

Isphani centre – Art Karat and other shops
    Damini Artisans -No:20 Arunachalm Road, Kotturpuram, chennai 85
    Adoniya –
    [FONT=&quot]F1, 15th Avenue, Harrington rd, Chetpet., Chennai, India 600031 · Get Directions[/FONT]
    Shopper’s stop
    Express avenue - lots of shops I have seen there but I have not checked out any of them. It was still newly opened when I visited Chennai last summer

Hope this list helps...and let me know if you find any new ones. When I am back in Chennai..probably we should go Jewelery shopping together :)

regards
    AN123

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

Re: Has anyone bought precious stones jewellery(Ruby, emerald,sapphire) from ebay Ind

I love gems, and study about them in my spare time (more like all the time). The shops selling you "rubies" are selling you rubies of crap quality also known in the trade as commercial quality. These are stones that are of por color and quality that are then put through a host of treatments (dyeing, heating,etc) that "improve" the quality temporarily, but fade eventually and become worthless.

check with the ebayer if he can guarantee the amount of silver used in the set, for example 36grams of sterling/925. Also ask how many microns thick the 24 carat gold plating is?

Rs11000 is complete waste in my opinion, the set you gave the link for may not have a value of more than rs 2500.

Sukra silver in mylapore is a trusted shop, why not try similar looking sets there. There is also another shop called Tara near Jain temple on kutchery rd, try these shops for some good deals.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Topaz

Your comments were really insightful information.

I have heard silver makers making jewelry in 14K, 18 and 20K gold plating. Never heard so much about 22 or 24K. How much micron thickness do you think would be considered acceptable to sustain from it being tarnished?

I guess the thicker it gets, it is more difficult for them to achieve intricate designs. So there is always the compromise of what silver designs can be done and the final gold plating thickness which further restricts intricate and delicate designs.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Well, the styles may or may not be to your taste but I would recommend trying some jewelry from www.qvc.com. I have a number of pieces from there and no complaints. They have online feedbacks so you know what other purchasers have felt and I think it highly improbable to be cheated there. If you get it and don't like it you can send it back for refund.

5. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ridgemma

I almost missed out on the link you had in your last message.

I took a look and in my opinion, that is really a fine artwork to do it in silver and gold plate. So the extra cost is for the artmanship definetely. It is very beautifully and delicately done. It looks like it is done by a goldsmith and not a silver smith.

I am not sure whether upsacle bharata natyam- temple jewellery shops in Chennai are capable of such craftsmanship. Most of the pieces I have seen in these shops have chunkier works where stones are set into which are classic to temple jewellery. One look and you know it is temple jwellery irrespective whether the plating looks like gold or not.

Whereas the piece that you showed can easily pass off as a gold jewllery setting. Such fine craftsmanship in silver is native to Maharashtrian, Gujrati, Rajasthani and Kashmiri silversmiths where gemstones and other stones have been set in silver for generations and then plated. In southern Indian cultures, Gold has been the predominant base metal for jewellery so the silver craftsmanship has not grown to that extent.

You may want to check out the places Topaz suggested. These shops maybe catering to the tastes of people who want delicate but yet intricate Indian designs set in silver. If you do see good pieces please do let me know. I would definetely add that to my shopping places in my next visit.

regards
    AN123

6. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks Topaz, that was really useful and can ask the seller these questions...very practical...

BTW, Sukra sells only temple jewellery kinda stuff...semi precious, I have to check...

7. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear AN123,
    Whatz more fun than to shop around with people of similar interest...will sure plan for one shopping session :)

Meanwhile went to Shoppers stop, virugambakkam...they have good collections...but not for precious and semi precious ones...

Do check out there when in here...pearls are good there...

8. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear AN123,
    Whatz more fun than to shop around with people of similar interest...will sure plan for one shopping session :)

BTW,me too don't have good experience with Narayana pearls...their designs are very usual...priced exorbitant..rude service...

Meanwhile went to Shoppers stop, virugambakkam...they have good collections...but not for precious and semi precious ones...

Do check out there when in here...pearl and AD sets are good there...

9. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks tashidelek2002, for the recommendation...it really is of value from a fellow ILite...

Will check out..

10. sweetanju4uu

sweetanju4uu Bronze IL'ite

ebay US is really good to buy rubies..not sure about india site though.