1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has a bad childhood adversely affected your marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kavya007, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have come across a lot of threads where the OP has been through a bad childhood and expected a strong marriage to make up for the lack of love and attention that he/she did not receive from his/her parents. When the expectations are not met naturally the OP becomes very disillusioned and heart broken. But is expecting your partner to make up for the love you did not receive during your childhood asking too much? When high expectations are not met they are bound to end up in deep disappointment. Have you been through a tough childhood? How has it affected your marriage and the bond with your partner?

When children do not receive adequate love and affection from their parents deep scars set in their psyche. Witnessing domestic violence, growing up in a hostile environment or watching a parent attempt suicide are deeply traumatic for any child. Sometimes they emotionally cripple the child life long and prevent the child from developing stable relationships. One of my close friends who also had a tough childhood just refuses to marry because he is afraid to put his children through the same misery. Another friend of mine from a similar background does not want to have children for the same reason.

Though I grow up in a financially sound family the bond that my parents shared was not very thick. I am not from a broken family but the vicious fights that my parents had deeply scarred me. Unfortunately I am gifted with a very sharp memory and I vividly remember some of the words they exchanged when I was as young as four years old. My mom used me as her agony aunt and I had to hear all the horror stories that she had to go through because of her MIL and my dad. Though I sympathize with her I honestly wish she has sought help from somebody her age and not from me. Initially I developed a bad impression about my dad but it took me a really, really long time to understand that her brand of love is different from my dad's brand of love.

When I entered wedlock just fresh out of college I did not expect my husband to make up for anything that I had lacked. In fact at that time I did not even realize that my childhood was dysfunctional. I was clear on only one thing I did not want to bring a child into a marriage unless I was 100% sure of my partner and I wanted to be financially independent at all times. As I grew close to my husband I opened up some of my wounds. A few years later when I had trouble with my in-laws during our arguments my husband used some of the painful stuff I had shared with him about my parents against me. That opened a hornet's nest. It set up a vicious cycle seeking nothing less than an eye for an eye. It put us through unending misery. These were some of the lessons I learned from the ordeal:

1. Do not go overboard on sharing stuff about your family with your husband. You are better off sharing it with a trusted third person with whom you may not have daily interaction. You are better off sharing it with someone who might come from a similar background. If a bad childhood hurts your very deeply then seek counseling.
    2. Do not expect your spouse to make up for the love or insecurity that you did not receive as a child. Such an high expectation is bound to lead to disappointment. It is very hard for a spouse especially if he/she had a normal childhood to relate to what happened to you. Your spouse expects you to be a normal and sane adult and little does he/she realize that there is still a child inside you craving for love and attention. In fact it might take a long time for you to recognize that there is still a child inside you. You can end up being branded as a high possessive, jealous and controlling spouse.
    3. If you see a strong bond of love and affection between your spouse and his/her parents its natural to feel a wee bit jealous. Just be aware of this emotion.
    4. Do not try to "mould" your partner to meet your emotional needs. Your marriage will blossom better when there is more acceptance.
    5. You will save yourself a lot of pain by not wallowing in endless self-pity. Rather count your blessings and be grateful that despite your tough childhood you have survived and thrived !!
    6. Rather then feeling unlucky realize that what you have been through makes you more sympathetic and empathetic towards others who have been through such trauma. Reach out and help them. It will make your life more meaningful.
    7. Don't commit the same mistakes that your parents committed. Do not bitterly fight with your spouse in front of your children. They are not at an age to completely comprehend what is going on.
    8. Children will unconsciously pick up statements that you make. So watch out. Let me give you an example. I frequently threatened my husband with divorce and suicide though I did not mean either of them. My husband just hated that habit of mine. During one of the counseling sessions the counselor asked me "Why are you talking about death all the time when life is meant to be lived". I was dumbstruck by that question and I introspected more. I realized that I had picked those words from my childhood, my dad frequently threatened my mom with divorce and my mom frequently threatened my dad with suicide. I had heard these words over and over again and I had unconsciously picked up those verbal patterns.
    9. Children will feel very secure if they see a strong bond of love and affection between their parents. So demonstrate to them that you deeply love your partner. Talk good things about your partner to your child. Do not bad mouth your partner to your child.
    10. To do all the good things above you need to be constantly aware of your own moods, feelings and thoughts on a moment to moment basis. I have personally found that yoga and meditation has helped me a great deal in sharpening my faculty of awareness. Take the time to invest in yourself.
    I just started this thread to share my experiences. Did you go through a tough childhood? How did it affect your marriage? Do chime in.

Regards,
    Kavya

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

2. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Kavya, I had peaceful parents who never argued or fought over atleast in front of children.. always supported each other when one was angry on a child, never used any abusive language, were a victim of MIL but still went back to her.

My only struggle in the house was that a boy is supreme power in this world & everything should have the boy in priority. I used to see my bro & feel what exactly was my fault if I were born a gal.. anyhow thats a past. Also I wud see few of my cousin sis being pampered as well so could never relate this behaviour when passed on to me by my parents for just being a gal.

This upbringing had a positive effect on my career & married life... when I dint get any undivided love or too much of cajoling I never even needed it from my ILs or my DH.. I could sustain all those orphan attitudes on a positive note. Also I wanted to prove that yes a gal is equally capable of earning & looking after herself even if not attending the best of colleges or highest fees.
    I lived a considerable life in hostel so I learnt my basic lessons from there itself to never disclose too much to a person with whom you have to share the room or house & also never overdo anything for anyone but remain at a coordial distance. Also since we never missed each other (family) too much I never felt the extereme agony a new entrant feels while coming to a hostel & returning / leaving course midway due to home sickness.. my bro suffered a lot with home sickness.. I became independent.

Hence its upto a person if you want to make positive out of the ordeals of your life or want to mess it up further. Things have changed a lot today and my parents have also changed for good.

3. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

Kavya/ShilpaMa

You guys may recognize me from my other thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents here (sorry if I am digging up a relatively old thread).

I would say my childhood was fairly balanced and loving, despite differences between parents, since this never directly affected me or my bro'. However like you mentioned Kavya my mom has shared many unpleasant memories about my dad's parents and also some controlling behavior that my dad got away with, particularly when we were pretty young.

Since these revelations came at a time when I could appreciate the depth of my mom's hurt, I did develop some resentment to my dad - I have gone through periods of complete detachment from my dad, sometimes lasting months. I have remained without talking with him for like a year or so, when I finished college I think. To me this never did impact my marraige, since my issues were entirely different, and caused by a sea of difference between me and hubby. Any case, I do maintain that a bad childhood or even secondhand knowledge of problems between parents can be very troubling and possibly disrupt marital harmony when one ties the knot.

On a totally different note Kavya, I happened to read your personal thread and was stunned by several disturbing parallels with my own life - especially how we both seem to have faced marital discord post delivery. I sincerely hope you have sorted things out and wish you all success in life :thumbsup

4. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kavya,
    I really appreciate the points u have noted down to come out of a bad childhood..
    My story - I can't say i had a bad childhood but i had a difficult mom.. Dad is the sweetest man.. Frankly, i am more close to my grandmother than to my mom.. Grandma and i share a very strong bond as mom (doctor) was working . My grandma used to feed me, cook my favourite dishes, listen to my school stories, dress me up for school etc.. Mom is a dominating Hitler.. I have never felt close to her.. But some of her actions made me suffer in my marriage..
    As in my last semester of engg, i had a job offer at hand, she fixed up my marriage.. She assured me that the alliance is a good one.. When i refuted for marriage so early, she suspected i had an affair in college.. Somehow during post engagement period i was able to sense that i may not get along with my in-laws.. But mom never understood this, she only blamed me for being so non-adjusting..
    Also, she fuelled a lot more tension by her behavior, like she used to compare my FIL's (college principal) position to my Dad's (Managing Director) position, many times she taunted openly that my in-laws financial status is lesser than hers.. But guess what, i had to bear the brunt of her actions, because my in-laws vented out their anger on me after marriage.. They forced me to quit my job and become a full time cook at their home..
    There was time, when i seriously wanted to walk out of the marriage, when i told this intent to my mom - she got hysterical at me because she didn't know what to tell the society if i divorced.. She in turn put pressure on me to stay in marriage and put up with crap from in-laws.. Blamed me for being selfish and not thinking of family reputation.. She never takes responsibility for her actions, she says it is my fate to get such in-laws..
    Now, i have learnt to accept things and move on with life.. I'm in a far more calm and composed state than before.. I am telling this story just to highlight that such behavior from parents can cause a lot of stress and pain to children..

On the contrary my MIL loves her children very dearly.. She can herself stay hungry to feed her children.. She never does anything against her children's wishes..But this love of MIL applies only to her children and not to DIL..
    My husband simply cannot connect to my childhood nor to me.. He is still blissfully content with his mom's love to an extent that he does not feel the need of anyone else's love..

I just dont know what to do in such a situation other than accept reality and move on with life..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Yes.

My Parents both are very loving but my mom is very innocent. She married to a big family and she had 4 kids at the young age and no affection or support from the husband. I think she lost between all these responsibilities and she used to continuously taunt my father all the time and lot of fighting’s in the house all the time between them.

This is affected me badly. Now in my marriage, for any issue I always be quite thinking the fight would affect the kids and don’t want to create unhappy environment in the house. So my husband has become big dominated person in the house. But after I joined IL,I started learn to give him back little bit nicely. So these days I am winning on pretty small things, which my husband used to control earlier.

6. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

Thanks for chiming in. Parents should not poison a child's mind with the grudges they have against their spouse. Its really a bad thing to do. My problems post delivery were a bit different from yours. Many women like ourselves do go through a lot of challenges in the postpartum phase. My postpartum months though very painful has been a powerful catalyst for postive change. I hope you also heal from your wounds. On a side note..I was just thinking about you. And somehow you came across to me as a person who would quietly take BS and just do whatever you please. Correct me if I am wrong? When your husband made the insane suggestion of a C section in the 7th month did you make it clear to him that "Your life and your baby's life is much more important to you than his stars however great it might look". Did you emphatically stress it to him? And did you make it clear to your husband that why you have to put your life in danger when he did not even bother to visit you and your child after your C section. My husband usually backs off when I tell him such things. That's why I said offense is a good form of defense. You come across to me as a passive-aggressive person and not somebody who can go on the offensive if needed. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
    Kavya.

7. sowmyar

sowmyar New IL'ite

Kavya

I guess we both did not face the 'exact' issues but I felt it was odd that we should start distrusting our hubbies post partum. Earlier myself and hubby used to be quite close and affec, tho I did have IL trouble as usual, and barring his extreme beliefs some of which I didn't see a problem accepting tho not agreeing! But the way things turned during/post deliv - I guess pp is stressful not just for mom and kid, but even on a marriage. About whether the fact that my mom shared things with me - I don't think this affected my marriage per se, but I know that it could have. Which is why I never want to involve kiddo in our marital probs unless it comes to a seperation - also the reason that it is so imp to me to rebuild the trust we have lost somewhere.

I do agree on some points you raised. I rarely quietly take BS of any sort really. BUT I admit that I made many a mistake in the initial part of my married life. I guess I wanted things to go so smoothly that I was reluctant to create waves for things which at that time seemed like trivial issues. I also agree I am not much for the 'go offensive' theory, tho lately that's me!! Anyway, as you mentioned about the 7th month thing, I will tell you this. Initially I was too shocked to react since hubby threw this one at me right at the hosp for my 7th month checkup - he had his friend come up there to the clinic, this guy's bro' had a kid deliv at a little more than 1.25 kg (the kid was around 9 or 10 yr old then and hubby was saying he was so intelligent, a topper, as tho' it was the deliv time that made him such). Frankly I was so stunned to say anything meaningful then except wonder how I got myself into this. Later I researched online and did try telling him how this could adversely affect the child, sent links of articles that spoke of premature deliv and even the disadv of a C since it IS a surgery whatever be the rationale - unless of course it was warranted on medical grounds. I also tried stressing how his religious belief should not be thrust on others, particularly on an unborn kid, his take was he cares as much about him - of course when I said I was having the deliv not he, he would go silent and angry and not call me for days. We were going in circles for a good part of the last few months that's for sure.

Like you mentioned I tried other routes before going passive-aggressive - yes I do admit I can get that way and try the silent treatment especially when I get the feeling that people are going to be 'unmoved' regardless of what I say or do. Honestly Kavya there was not one SINGLE day I didn't regret getting a kiddo into this even during my preg, and sometimes I felt I was wasting my energies convincing someone who refused to budge. So I shrunk back, but didn't give in until it appeared to me that I would prob have a C anyway. I have mentioned that even my doc said this was possible eventually, but maybe the stress I put myself thru also resulted in kiddo not moving down - he was favorably placed head down till the end but his head never did get fixed per doc (even 2 days bef v fixed the date when I had the final examination bef deliv).

NOW though, I am past giving a cold shoulder, or taking ANY BS. I guess in a way our situations have been reversed. While earlier hubby ddn't think much about my take on things, now I have come to distrust him a lot. In a way like your case I am guilty of saying hurtful things to him because of all the times earlier when he could not care less what I felt/had to say about our life. I am prone to telling him these days that I won't be a puppet anymore - for him or his parents. I can see this hurts him BUT he in a way realises that I have tried bending earlier for which he was never responsive. So its come to this - All or Nothing! He wanted all, I gave some, he was unhappy and wanted more, more ... so I ended up offering nothing. This is why I said this is a Status Quo, and has been this way ever since kid arrived and I felt betrayed by someone I was supposed to trust 'until death do us part'.

But I hope this does not last. I would rather we go our seperate ways than live like this forever. I cringe to think this is the mom kiddo will see - he may feel I am vindictive, but I think I am not really that, I am just so hurt and don't want to feel helpless anymore. I never did appreciate people who said they had no control over their lives - but I became that once - now I am past that. I am more open minded now that I was when I went back after his birth. I am more in a frame of mind to get over it, though I don't claim I have 'forgiven', yet. The journey will be long no doubt but I think I am a very resilient person, opinionated surely, but not obstinate! Yup, I am figuring my way.

8. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

hi kavya,

Yours points were great! Thanks for posting :thumbsup

Even I went for counselling session to come out of my bad childhood. Though I am not married, definitely this affected my love life. An alcoholic,irresponsible dad & workaholic mom and their fights killed me to the core. All their frustration will end on me. When I was young, I used to think of cindrella story, that a prince would come and save me one day! :rotfl

Even now I am not completely out of it because there exist a 'emotional bonding' between us and whatever they do, they are my parents. So I ignore if they hurt me.

9. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

My heart goes out to you Mithy. You will survive and thrive !!

Kavya.

10. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

Thanks for the clarification. I am sure you would have been shocked. I was also shocked when I read about your husband's insane suggestion. Anybody would be. Take time to heal and then decide your game plan. You sound very level headed. You need different strategies to deal with different types of people. Keep trying and find out what works best for you.

Kavya.