HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebrations...

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by periamma, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Re: HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebration

Wish everyone a very happy pongal.

2 people like this.
  2. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Re: HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebration

Happy pongal periamma, and to all the ILs.

1 person likes this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Thanks and wish you the same jskls and surekhap.Share your traditions

2 people like this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

On this auspicious day, kids wear new clothes to visit near and dear ones with a Sankranti offering in a plate and exchange the same with other families. This ritual is called "Ellu Birodhu." Here the plate or a small earthern pot would normally contain "Ellu" (white sesame seeds) mixed with fried groundnuts, neatly cut dry coconut and fine cut bella (jaggery) along with small pieces of sugarcane and sugar candy. The mixture is called "Ellu-Bella". The plate/pot contains shaped sugar candy moulds (Sakkare Acchu) with a piece of sugarcane. There is a saying in Kannada "ellu bella thindu olle maathadi" that translates to 'eat the mixture of sesame seeds and jaggery and speak only good.' This festival signifies the harvest of the season, since sugarcane is predominant . Ellu Bella, Ellu Unde, bananas, sugarcane, red berries, haldi and kumkum and small gift items useful in everyday lives are often exchanged among women.
    This is the tradition I remember from my childhood when my mother did that. But later we slowly forgot all about this and just make only ven pongal and chakarai pongal as per tamilian tradition.

4 people like this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Happy Bhogi to all!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

jskls Thanks for sharing your traditional way of sankranthi celebration..very nice information about Sankranthi

1 person likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

thegirlygirl Thanks for your wishes.Happy Pongal

1 person likes this.
  8. durgadeviramesh

durgadeviramesh Platinum IL'ite

அனைவருக்கும் இனிய பொங்கல் நல்வாழ்த்துகள் தோழியரே:boo:
    durgadevi 204-1.jpg

9 people like this.
  9. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Happy Pongal to all IL members.

Let prosperity and happiness be at your homes always.

2 people like this.
  10. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Periamma,

You have taken me back to 1980s.During my childhood Pongal celebration was very grand.

My grandmother used to keep Pongal in our front yard and all my chithi's and aunty will make a grand kollam in front of our gates and yards and verandas.We(children) will be their helper.

All will shout pongalo pongal with much enthusiasm and laughter.My grandmother will also keep kootu with mixed vegetables.We will distribute the pongal to all our neighbors and we will also taste all neighbors Pongal.

Relatives will visit us and we will visit them.Happy and Memorable days.

Now a days we keep Pongal in cooker and our children's are missing lots of things.

இந்த புனித நாளாம் பொங்கல் திருநாளில் உங்களது வாழ்வில் அமைதியும் வளமும் பெற்று வாழ என் வாழ்த்துக்கள்,
    இந்த பண்டிகை குறையாத மகிச்சியை கொடுக்கட்டும்,
    இனிய பொங்கல் தின வாழ்த்துக்கள்!

4 people like this.