Happy Janmashtami !!!

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by ishvickey30, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ishvickey30

ishvickey30 Senior IL'ite

Jai Shree Krishna !!!

Wish U all a very Happy Janmashtami...Janmashtami celebrates the birth of one of the most famous Gods of Hindu religion, Bhagwan Krishna, on the eighth day (Ashtami) in the month of Sravana or Savana. Lord Sri Krishna was born on the 'Rohini' nakshatram (star). The festival of Janmashtami is considered a very pious day by Hindus. Lot of bhajan singing, hymn chanting and poojas are performed this day.Devotees sing Krishna arti, some people read out 108 names of lord. The festival of Janmashtami is characterised with keeping fast by devotees. Devotees also keep 'Phalahar Vrat' having milk and fruits during the fast. Devotees observe strict discipline while fasting.Devotees make various dishes during the fast. They have milk and milk products during the fast. This because Lord Krishna was particularly fond of milk and butter. Sweet dishes are also made and had during janmashtami fast. Kheer, Pedhas are popular sweets that devotees have. People do not include salt in their meals during the fast. Devotees fasting on janmashtami break the fast at midnight after the birth of Lord Krishna. They break their fast with Prasad of the Lord.

Regards
    Ishika

2. Smitavivek

Smitavivek New IL'ite

I do fasting in janmashtami day. Also I am very religious so never miss any opportunity to pray GOD. Good thread Ishika :thumbsup. According to me and hinduism, If u fast one day, the food which u did not eat will fill the stomach of some1 who needs that badly. So I am also feeling good.