Happy Holi - festival of colors

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by Abha, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey everybody

I wish all of you a very happy holi...

this is my first holi after my wedding wich was 3 months back... but i'm here in US and cant celebrate it.. i wish i cud have been with my family... we cud have had a blast..

i remember my mom used to make Kaanji - a drink of dark red carrots...very tasty .. and the sweet Gujiya...

ohh i miss everything...

how did u used to celebrate Holi... and those who r still celebrating it here, wat r ur plans for this Holi...let discuss that here...

Cheers
    ~Abha

2. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

Back home in village, we used to celebrate Holi as "vasanthosavam". In villege we useually make our own color water with turmeric and Kumkum and with some rangoli colors. Afterthat we pour colore water on everyone. It was fun though.

Here,In sunnyvale temple, organisers uesually oraganise some function for the festival. Specifically NorthIndains play Dandia(not sure of spelling). I never been there and this year hoping to go.

Happy holi.

Regards
    srilak.

3. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]

HAPPY HOLI! I remember gujiyas

4. sunshine73

sunshine73 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    Happy Holi to all of u......

I miss holi terribly. This is my 1st holi in the U.S( i live in northern suburbs of chicago)....i'm from delhi so we used to have a big holi celebration in our neighbourhood.I wish i cd fly home for afew days!!!!

BTW...i love kanji too!

take care,
    smita.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai friends,
    happy holi to all. I am an out and out South Indian, I am fascinated with the festivals of the North, especially Holi. Those festivals seem fun more and I would love to be in North during Holi at least once in my life. All this due to seeing Holi celebrations in films.

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

HAPPY HOLI to all of you!
    I was out at a holi party today, and here in Germany , that too with a gathering with bengalis, it was fun! And to top it it was raining and we had to stay out for throwing colours! inspite of the cold and rain, we really threw colours and made a total mess of our friend's place.....but it was FUN!(of course for us, but i wonder what she is doing now?!):wink:

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Happy holi to all my north indian. My views are the same as varloo's.Ihave always been fascinated by this vibrant festival of colours.Friends have a roaring time and i would love to read your about the wonderful time u all had during this day.:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

8. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi to all,

HAPPY HOLI TO ALL OF YOU !

We enjoyed holi when we were in Faridabad. My son and me wants to see the function from a distance. :2thumbsup: