1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

HandyMan

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Real incident happened recently involving my dryer of washer dryer fame and my spouse of better half fame.

It never ceases to amaze me how men want to FIX everything. They have this urge if you will to pick up a hammer and screw driver and walk around the house “fixing” everything.
    Most times nothing needs fixing! However to their eyes it appears something needs fixing.
    Now this fixation is not necessarily restricted to men. Some women have it too.
    Though there is a difference.
    Women do not carry the hammer and walk around. They order their husbands to do the job or nag him till its done.
    We have some companies locally who do these repair jobs for a good fee. They advertise, “If your husband can’t fix it we can!”.
    Sometimes they even advertise they will come in to fix what the husband could not fix.
    Little did I know I will also need some of this service soon.
    I have to make the disclaimer that my husband is very good at fixing things broken or not, An expert with all the tools that a handy man needs.
    Still there comes a time when one cannot fix something and our dryer was IT for my husband,
    Now the thing about it when my husband works is that everyone and I mean EVERYONE will know about that he is fixing something.
    Now usually we do not have to rely on word of mouth here. Husband only sets out his extensive tool set on the floor, on top of the kitchen counter; on top of dining table on some chairs... you get the drift. Any top surface that is not already cluttered by paper will get cluttered by tools!
    Now this clutter is not for just a few minutes kind. This is semi permanent kind. To me they appear a permanent fixture. I still do not get why he had to buy a fancy tool chest when all his tools always sits on my kitchen counter.
    Dare i say the word “CLEAN UP” he will pack and the job will remain undone? Of course I will also have to see him pouting and sulking which pulls my heart string so I let him and his tools be. So this how it went for us;

I dumped my clothes into the dryer
    Tumble they went merrily with the heater
    One small noise I could hardly hear
    Came from the dryer always a dear

Hubby had ears big and wide to hear
    Any noise small farther or nearer
    “Why this sound”, he started to wonder
    He decided to fix it and started to ponder

I watched with my eyes and heart in despair
    As he opened up all the parts of my dryer
    For many a day around me in the kitchen did scatter
    Plenty of screws, nuts and bolts left for me to gather

When will this job finish I did try and venture
    “Oh Hardly a minute”, if I find the time to matter
    The minute and hours and days dragged on not faster
    Now small sound that came from my dryer steadily grew louder

Till one day my better half could take it no longer
    We went hand in hand to shop for a new dryer
    I was glad within that my spouse tried to the repair
    For I could see the love he has for me and my dryer.

joke138.jpg

10 people like this.

2. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Chitra,

ha ha ha I loved the way your husband had to accompany you for buying a new dryer.

You reminded me of the hilarious sitcom...... Home Improvement...!!!!!

I am sure you must be overwhelmed by his urge of fixing everything around your house....I believe your delicious cooking must be keeping him energized to move around the house with variety of tools which do not choose to rest in the toolbox.
    Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  3. Anandchitra

My dear Bhavna
    What a delightful way to say he is energized by my cooking.. enjoyed this so much.. you made my day dear:)

He is definetly the hero from Home improvement and I am the same mom.. totally lost and bewildered.

I would not say overwhelmed.. i used to try and clear and clean which annoyed both of us. my trying to clear and him trying to search for what was cleared! so guests are now used to seeing all clutter.. still they come!

1 person likes this.
  4. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Chitra,
    In my house we have the similar scenario for all his stuff lying around the house.I tell him if you do not want me to touch your stuff then keep them out of the range of my radar...else....you bear the consequences......!!!!!

the funny thing happens in my house that he gets upset when I move his stuff but more interestingly it aggravates him even more when I myself could not remember where did I put them...!!!! At that point I am only sure about the fact that I organized his stuff to the best of my ability.....!!!

Love,
    Bhavna

4 people like this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Very funny AC :rotfl

Exactly right bhavanam. This snippet reminded me of Tim Allen and home improvement. How Jill would secretly call AL or other handymen to come and fix things.

:claps Ac for writing this. :)
    Enjoyed the cartoon at the end. :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one AC.....
    A nice package of Prose, poetry and illustration.......:thumbsup

2 people like this.
  7. Anandchitra

my dear Bhavna
    I am going to support your husband on this :) Imagine how he must feel when you dont even remember where you put them.. haha.. well same here too.
    So I guess we should say we did it to our ability I like this a lottt :))

1 person likes this.
  8. Anandchitra

Dear knbg
    A lot of thanks dear for these nice words of appreciation.. really so so happy:):)

1 person likes this.
  9. Anandchitra

Dear Anita
    i know how Jill must have felt in home improvement! Really what is with Men and Tools?! Must be a Macho thing what say/:biggrin2:

Anyho I do admire him when he has all his tools around him and asks me to pick up some item and I stand clueless and he helps.. romantic na?! :wink:

Above all in the midst of it all he will forget his glasses and we both spend a lot of time searching for it.. and eureka!!! it was in the midst of the tool clutter all the time too :)) haha..:biglaugh
    thanks for stepping and sharing my fun buddy :))):bowdown

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear AC,

I have nothing but admiration for your husband for being always prepared to fix things around in the house with a tool kit. I am totally incapable of fixing anything at home other than simple door locks and handles. The cartoon in your post reminded me of the situation I faced when my wife and I moved into the US where everything we need to do ourselves. After a few years, I slowly started building a good list of vendors who provide all kinds of services and now I am very good at calling for help in a moment's notice.

Even though I still the same person I was before, I am still a superman for my wife thanks to the best list of vendors I put together.

Viswa

1 person likes this.