1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hallucination!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I was there doing the thing that I hate most - waiting for my turn in the clinic. Not that I was sick, but someone dear to me considered me a bit 'mentally disturbed'. And I went to a psychiatrist after a few more 'suggested' me strongly. This man appeared in TV channels occasionally and advertised that big. And looked as if he was just out of a cartoon to me.

I went in after an eternal wait. Actually the receptionist had to say my name aloud - for I had dozed after poring through the medical journals there. How long can you pretend to understand something that you don't? I wanted to see if I can get the old issues at a cheap rate or for free - very good sleeping pills those - without side-effect. The doctor was there, in a jovial mood and asked me what exactly was my problem. "Nothing Doctor!", I said. "All patients who come here, say that, Sir!", he said. Then asked me a lot of questions. Nobody asked that many to me before.

Then I narrated that wonder moment. "You see Doctor - Two days before, I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I could not even move my limb or even toes. Alarmed, I tried to shout. Alas, no voice came. Then, I was surprised to see my body lying there on the bed and I was seeing it from a distance. Then, after quite sometime, I was asleep again. I tell you - I've never slept that better in many years!". He was smiling all the time, which irritated me. He laughed now and said, "Thats what we call a hallucination!" and went on to explain so much about it. "This man is better than those journals!", I thought. Then he said, "Its a small issue actually. Take these pills for two weeks! And don't think too much about yourself!".

"Thanks Doctor!", I said, though I wasn't sure whether it was hallucination or not hearing my own voice, "You too!".

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

It is a very hilarious description of a visit to a psychiatrist. I understand the frustration about reading those medical journals while waiting and it was so funny that they are sleep inducers in a natural way. You are absolutely right.

I liked that last punch line, "You Too" telling the doctor not to think too much of himself.

Viswa

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Viswamitra. Actually, I was really wondering whether it was either complex or on an offensive note that it did not elicit any feedback so far. And I am glad that you liked it. -rgs

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl:rotflSuper humour touch rgs.

Perfect punch line. :thumbsup Should have told him openly, then he would have become a villain instead of cartoon :)

5. rgsrinivasan

Just to clarify, this is only a story, Pallavi. Its all about how a common man with a bit of an ego reluctantly goes to a psychiatrist. He feels intimidated by all that arrangement there, irritated for being kept waiting and frustrated when the doctor did not take him seriously. And just like any of us, he retorts when ridiculed. Thanks for your appreciation, Pallavi. -rgs

6. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Yes rgs. I understood it is just story. What I meant is even in the story if we would have told the same then the Dr. would have become villain. Thats it.

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Pallavi. And sorry if my explanation was deemed unnecessary. Just to ensure that I don't let one of my reader to get a wrong direction after reading the blog. Besides, I am yet to reach that level where there is no explanation required. -rgs

8. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Good one rgs! Liked the way you ended :)

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Vidchakra for your appreciation. And very happy to receive your feedback after a gap. -rgs

10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one rgs, I am never disappointed coming to your blog space :)

Thank you,
    Akila