1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween experience

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GayathriSundar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Yesterday was Halloween night in our neighborhood! Almost all of USA celebrated it yesterday.
    Of course there have been the endless Halloween costume parties at work and in my son’s day-care starting last week.

Lots of cute little monsters and princesses visited our door for Candy. First I just offered the candy basket to the kiddos to chose themselves. Most of these little kids were shy and polite and would take only 1 candy. So then I started to put a few candies in their baskets. Some of the parents accompanying the little kids were also costumed.

This is my son’s first Halloween but we did not dress him up. I just took him outside and watched the kids come and go. He was hugely interested in them!
    As the night progressed we saw scarier costumes and older kids. The last bunch to visit our house were boys in the age range 13 - 15. These boys really scared me and my son whom I was carrying. Though these boys were not wearing costumes but they were rude and pretty brash.

I wonder what is the age limit on going trick or treating!
    How was your Halloween night?

Gayathri

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007

2. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayatri,

I think there is no age limit or any kind of restiction to celebrate Holloween.But they dressed up scarily and play tricks in the parties only that too asking trick or treat.
    I think those boys might be a little bit rude in their behavior.
    If you don't want them to come and knock the door ,you can leave some treats infront of your door.We used to practice this when we were in states.

We too had been to part yesterday.I was scare dto see ghosts posters in the hall and my 3 yr old is enjoying with the other kids who were dressed up ,with her ghost mask on.I wonder how they are not scared of weird masks.

3. GayathriSundar

Hi krish22,
    Leaving baskets of candy outside seems a good idea. But we try to take this oppurtunity to meet the people of our neighbourhood. We are home only after dark in this fast paced life so it is nice to meet neighbours.
    Kids of your daughter's age are usually not afraid of anything. Fear is mostly taught by elders and experience...
    My husband also told me that I should not have opened the door. These boys were not from my area.
    Anyway here we turned off all the lights out front and no more trick-or-treaters.

Actually I am reminded of another story that happened a few years ago on my first halloween...
    Again older boys came knocking on our apartment door... trick or treat.. so I pretended to be out of treats and asked for a trick. The boys were pretty stunned and stared at me .... kahan se aagayi hai yeh... hmm I was surprised too... :idontgetit:
    Anyway gave the candies and got rid of the boys... :spin

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Gayathri
    For me Halloween is lots of fun. It is so for kids and family too. We plan for costumes
    and candy and such. Our neighborhood also celebrates grandly. But this is not
    the time to meet neighbors because everyone here is dressed in costumes
    its difficult to tell who is who. so far we have never had problems with kids of any
    age. Just wanted to let you know - the kids are supposed to ask us Trick or Treat
    and we have to answer Trick if we want to provide a Trick or we have to answer
    Treat if we are going to give Treat. Since you mentioned asking for Trick its the
    other way around. Hope you dont mind me telling.

5. GayathriSundar

Hi Anandchitra
    Clarifications are always welcome to learn about this new land.
    Some how I always thought that unless I provided candies I would be tricked or scared ....

Anyway it was loads of fun. I am expecting to be caught in the costume prep in the next years when my son learns to talk ...

Gayathri

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri
    I since went and researched about this and what I found:
    "Trick or treat?" The "trick" part of "trick or treat" is a threat to play a trick on the homeowner or his property if no treat is given. Trick-or-treating is one of the main traditions of Halloween. It has become socially expected that if one lives in a neighborhood with children one should purchase treats in preparation for trick-or-treaters.
    So you were right and i was mistaken. its o.k because as you know we look at the fun side and get prepared with candy. One thing I make sure is no candy will be stored at my home so after we collect I immediatley take and give to some poor or just donate. Like you say its more fun when your son grows up and takes an active part.

7. GayathriSundar

Dear Chitra,
    It is a good idea to get rid of the extra candy... it usually ends up in my DH!!!

Regards
    Gayathri

8. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Halloween night was celebrated in our residential complex. Although the temperatures have dropped down, it was remarkable to see the enthusiasm of children and there was no distinction. Both American and Indian kids with their parents came knocking on doors singing some song and I gave them candies. Today in our office also many people have kept candies on their tables to be taken.

9. GayathriSundar

Hi TDU,
    I think the most scary part of Halloween is seeing candies at work the next day. The candies are irresistible and beckon me to sample 'em... and I do and ... it all ends up around my waist!!

Gayathri

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Gayatri,

Halloween went off well here too. Mostly kids from age zero to aults go trick or treating. Like AC said there is no age limit. But i do find that, kids who come for treats, the oldest is usually around 16 or 17. Once they are off to college, the whole halloween scene is different in the form of parites etc....
    Well, last year as treats, i had handed out packets of cheetos, doritos etc.... and all the kids who came this year, asked me for the same. I was amazed that these kids remembered what i gave them last year!!

Yes if we keep the candy at home, it is going to end up in our waistline:eek:mg:

vandhana