Hai moving from chennai to Malmo, Sweden

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by priyarag, Jan 5, 2011.

1. priyarag

priyarag New IL'ite

Hai everybody

I am Priya from chennai, India. I am moving to Malmo, Sweden with my husband for his job there by the end of January 2011. I am totally new to europe and finding difficult to plan about the packing and all.

I would like to know whether electrical items like mixer grinders bought in India will be suitable there. Should I fit some adapters and all for those electrical items. Please help....

Are there Indian grocery shops in Malmo or Lund? We will be probably staying in Lund. Are there Indian friends in Lund?

Would also like to have details of things to be brought from India, which will not be available there.

Hoping to get a reply.

Priya

2. viji1234

viji1234 New IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    Welcome to Sweden. I am also from Chennai Mylapore, living in Copenhagen almost 15 years. Malmø is a very nice city close to Copenhagen and Lund is perfect place to live. many of our friends live in malmø and work in Copenhagen. Many things u get here, but i will definitely recommend u to bring a good mixie. Other thing u get here. There are lot of Indian shops here in Copenhagen and in Malmø.
    Take care,
    viji

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. priyarag

priyarag New IL'ite

Hai Viji

Thanks a lot for replying. Its a relief to see your reply because didnt get a reply for a long time after posting a thread.

Happy that a lot of indians are there in malmo and copenhagen. Bringing a small mixie and cooker and some basic things.

Will keep in touch and happy that got a friend close by.:)

Thanks once again for replying.

Priya

4. MaliniKarthik

MaliniKarthik New IL'ite

hi priya,
    this is malini. welcome to sweden. my husband works here in Lund and we live in lund for less than a year.

5. VAISHVIVA

VAISHVIVA New IL'ite

hi
    we too are planning to move to stockholm by end of june2011. in case you are alrdy there can you let me knw about some indian grocery shops? like what is not available and any food restrictions at the immigation..

6. MaliniKarthik

MaliniKarthik New IL'ite

hi vaishva,
    abt stockholm i have no idea. but almost u get every groceries there i think. when v speak abt masalas v get only north indian brands here.

7. priyarag

priyarag New IL'ite

Hai Malini

Thanks for the reply. We are still in chennai. Our Visas are getting delayed. Anyway how is the weather there? I am happy that you are in lund and I have got a friend so nearby. How about the apartment rentals there? Any idea? We are still in search of one.

Priya

8. MaliniKarthik

MaliniKarthik New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

In malmo apartment for rents available from 8000 SEK. i have no detailed idea. the weather here is in minus degrees. I wish you come soon.
    bye.

9. myaccount

myaccount New IL'ite

Hi Vaish,

I live in a city near by Stockholm. You do not have to worry about Groceries there. There are couple of Indian stores over there. If you are particular about Home made Masalas/Pickles you can bring....

Thanks,
    Komal

10. suhanilakshami

suhanilakshami New IL'ite

Hi all, I too live in Stockholm and would like to add one important thing to the list for those who are moving to Stockholm. Bring Pressure Cooker :) There are no pressure cookers available here in Sweden, only rice cookers are available and when you bring pressure cooker do not forget to get extra gaskets and rings if needed. :) Good luck.