1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Habitual Blackmailer

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Oct 8, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda Finest Post Winner

Going back to the 'student days in the UK' story, I had bought a Compaq desktop for my thesis. They were supposed to issue some CDs free with the computer. It did not come for 3-4 days despite repeated calls (extremely expensive) and they played the same dirty trick - sent me on a merry-go-round of phone numbers. Nothing happened.

It was a Friday evening. I had not gone in to the lab as I had a severe migraine. Around 4 in the evening I picked up the phone and blasted the person on the other side of the phone. The migraine and the foul mood that it induced certainly helped!!! I told the person that we had many international students in the hostel who were also buying laptops and that I would make sure everyone heard my story.

On Monday morning the CDs were delivered.

It was a sad realization that all companies all across the globe were the same and needed to be shouted at to get a job done. Polite talk did not work. :-( So, no, running away from here would not necessarily help.

2. satchitananda

I don't normally buy from Pepperfry. Only once, 2 years ago, I bought some curtains from them. Mercifully, did not have problems with them. But thanks for warning. Shall be careful about going to them ever.

3. satchitananda

Talk of shouting. BESCOM, our friendly electricity provider. Every summer we suffer severe power cuts and they keep blaming them on transformer burst, incoming supply failed ...... every second day.

If it is summer, no water, no electricity. If it rains, too much of rains, trees fall on the lines (we send up 108 satellites but underground cables are still in the realm of 'rocket science'), transformers burst ..... Last night we did not have electricity from 10.30 pm to well past 1.30 am. Don't know when the power was finally restored. This morning it goes off again. Called the call centre and blasted the lady there. She tells me that BESCOM has informed about transformer fault. I thought they repaired it last night. 'It will be restored in 15 mins', she informed me. I told her that they were fibbing, they had just put off the electricity. I put down the phone and the light was restored immediately. Once more proved that only shouting and being uncivil seems to work. Really sad.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

So, you think this is all cunning plan, a scheme in the evolution, to make us tougher human beings ?

5. satchitananda

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nice story! :clap2:
    Just like a maid, one could hire a Phone/Internet/caller person to call the various service providers on our behalf. What a nice idea !!

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

It is interesting to read all the blackmail stories. I, for one, never faced a situation to blackmail any of the companies because most of them provided excellent services whenever called. Verizon, Whirlpool, Spectrum, Duke, etc. are extraordinarily courteous here in Florida.

Viswa

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Does it mean 'Don't complain about anything till you reach Florida'? I must take my wife to Florida and check the veracity of your statement!

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

You are welcome to the Sunshine State anytime and my wife and I will consider it as a blessing to have you both here at our home.

Viswa