1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guru- Shishya goodness Bhava

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Teachers are that something special in our lives, a fact many of us realize very late. In fact, what I miss most in my life today is the discipline and the unconditional dedication that they bestowed upon us students. They are a constant reminder to us of what we really are, should be or could have been.

Teachers form a very valuable part of a student’s life. And, a student can be just about anyone. In the same manner, a teacher can be just about anyone who teaches us something. All the people who have blessed us or enlightened us with some knowledge are our gurus or teachers. We are too engrossed in our own busy fast paced lives to acknowledge and appreciate the value of such people in our lives.

The dearth of dedicated and devoted teachers is a like a big vaccum that is hard to fill. The children of today's educational institutions suffer a great deal because the kind of teachers that existed yesterday just don't seem to be visible in the modern radar of education. Of course, there are teachers who do belong to the age old tribe of selfless devotion and professional caliber but they are hard to find. And this makes the situation all the more saddening when we see our future citizens imbibing wrong values and absorbing half baked knowledge.

Educational institutions today, have become commercialized leaving the students in the lurch.No wonder when the students step out of school, all that they have is a frenzied, mad, competitive, half baked training of subjects, something which a loving devoted teacher would certainly not have done. A real pity!

Let's hope and pray that the coming year will bring about a change in the standards of education and in the guru-shishya relationship.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,
    A short and a sweet tribute to the teachers. I have been a teacher for some time. When I started practice in 1984 I could not make both ends meet with my professional income and hence I had to take classes for CA students. Only then did I learnt how thankless a job it was.

I am in touch with most of my teachers especially the ones who taught me at the college.
    We have lost good teachers because we don't recognise them. As Bernard Shaw said, "We are a bunch of hypocrites. We praise the teachers but pay the cabaret dancers much more than the teachers."

A statement to ponder over on the Teachers day.
    love,
    sridhar

3. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks. I am so happy to know that we both share another profession - that of teaching. Of course, I haven't taught for long still....

I loved your Bernard Shaw's quote immensely. :thumbsup

Nice Day
    Shail