1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Shot Or Needle Which Is Best For Ear Piercing To Babies

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Janakinarne, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Hi my baby is 3yrs old,and this Wednesday is her head shaving and ear piercing fun which is going to be conducting in a temple ,and am very much confused with in which way o have to go to ear piercing,
    My baby won't go to strangers as quickly and won't allow any men to near her,so am very much tensed how it wil go ,and due tot he pain of needle I thought of going to gun shot where as it's not available in temples..can some one suggest me the best gunshot person or some one who can come to temple to do the procedure and wil give the extra money for that ..
    And some are suggesting gunshot is more painful than needle ,
    Plz suggest me which is the best way of ear piercing...thank u

2. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I would suggest the traditional piercing as that person will be experienced. They will also tell what to apply after the piercing. You have to hold the baby.

joylokhi likes this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, the traditional ear piercing method is still the best as the person as stated by Anisu, will be experienced, and nowadays you get an ointment for applying on the ear just 10 minutes before piercing, so that minimal pain would be felt. I do not remember the name of the ointment, but u can enquire from medical store, i think. The gun shot is preferable for slightly mature ear lobes like young girls in their teens or so. All the best for the function without any issues.

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Hi janaki,

We got traditional done when my baby was just 28 days old , as the ears are so tender they won't sense much pain . And my baby too just cried for 5 mins and she was okay after that . I kept applying cocunut oil and she was not in discomfort. I think your baby is 1+ year old . Older babies move a lot and it's difficult to make them sit on anyone and do the piercing by traditional method. Gunshot may work better in your case . Best is do all the rituals in temple , go to a doctor nearby and get a gunshot from the doctor . This is my suggestion for you .

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Janaki,
    I got the gunshot for my baby when she was 4 months old. It went well and no issues. Now that she’s much older and wants to wear her grandmother’s earrings and my earrings, it’s a big problem. With the gun shot her piercing is very tiny. Only single stem earrings like the fashion earrings from jewelry stores can get in. They can’t wear the traditional screw type earrings. Since your daughter is older, it’s going to be hard regardless of the route you choose. Maybe the traditional piercing is worth the effort. My mom wanted to get it done for my daughter later as she got older and wanted to wear our earrings but I never got to it. Why go through the effort twice!

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I got traditional ear piercing when I was 8 yrs old ( 4th grade, yes, it was delayed) . It was not painful. I think their experience helped a lot. I still have the ear rings I got that day. My dd wears that now. Her ear piercings was done when she was 8 months old, during our India trip. We visited a jewellery with that option and they did it. She cried, but was fine within a few minutes. They know how to handle the baby.

But, my friends daughter can't wear our traditional ear rings because of tiny opening due to gun shot. They got it here

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021