Guide me for my business on net for Handicrafts

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by uma510, Jan 5, 2008.

1. uma510

uma510 New IL'ite

Hi

I want to start a business in net. Which is related to Hand craft works. But i dnt have any idea. please help me in this regard

UMA
    Hyderabad

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma - welcome to IL. You have mentioned that you want to start a business online relating to handicrafts. Do you already have your own business and want to expand it? Give us more information about your plans, etc - folks here may be able to help you. Good luck!

3. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Hi Uma,
    Give us more info.
    You said that you are in Hyderabad. Do you already have a site? Have you already started your business ?
    The more info you give us all, the more we cal help/advise you.

4. uma510

uma510 New IL'ite

Thanks for giving me prompt reply...

I dont have any business... I want to start a new business.... I have a materials and designs and guidance procedure for Hand craft works like Stuffing Toys... Paintings and and other works... I also have exp as a Instructer of that courses... But I cant find the sources.. so that let me know requirements and permissions and loan facilities and ect.. If anybody knews... I'm a PG graduate from Osmania.... I want to give a chance to some other people also...

Thanks
    UMA

5. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

The thing is that I don't know abt how things work now in India.
    Hence not sure how to go abt starting a business in India. (loans, etc)

If I were you then I might first start giving a course abt Handicrafts, teach classes, etc and that way you can make contacts and grow from there. Teaching also would give you better idea of what might do well in the market, what are people looking for, etc.

Other IL ladies from India might be able to give some better advice :)

6. mdhv2004

mdhv2004 New IL'ite

hi uma,

i run wholesale imports,exports business of perfumes & handbags, let me know abt u r hand crafts i will give u advise according to that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  7. ashukrishna

ashukrishna Bronze IL'ite

hi mdhv2004
    i'm 4m chennai. i like to start a small home business. if possible can i join u. and help u in selling products. pls guide me... is there any business tips, tricks ,to have a home based business

8. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    Please count me in too. I too w'd like to start a new bussiness with handicrafts & absolutely clueless about where to begin,
    vidya

9. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi all

Observed that few of you are interested in business in Handicrafts. So thought I would share few common things that I know.

1) Determine why you want to do business (be it handicrafts or arts or whatever) - this is what will make you sustain in the business.

2) Know your market - Who are your targetted customers? Businesses like handicrafts etc. are more "Taste" or "Choice" based businesses. So in all possibilities, the woman or family next door might not be your customer.

3) If you are new to the business world, do learn the basics on cost, expenses, returns etc. It is not just making the craft and putting it on a site to sell. There is more to do....like marketing, selling, accounts etc.
    Also, lot depends on if you want to put up a shop or just do it from home or via online etc. Understand each topic to some extent before plunging in.

4) Do a lot of "googling" with all possible related terms to the line of business and see what is in the market already? what is happening & where? For things like Handicrafts or arts, just go to eBay and do a search to see what the trend is like. This would help you a lot to understand the market, position your products etc.

5) Of course don't forget to have short term, medium term & long term goals.

And many more like this......

Guess this would be a good start point for you people. All the best in your ventures.

Would be interesting to hear if you have made some successful progress.

Cheers!
    Jenz

10. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Hi Jenz

Excellent tips. One should be really clear about the kind of business one wants to do before taking the plunge. And of course, the points that you have mentioned are absolutely essential before starting a business.

I wonder if you are a business person too...you've hit the mark so well !
    If so, I'm sure everybody here would like to hear more from you .

I would say the first and the most basic thing to start with should be 'introspection'--- a deep and thorough thinking of what you really want to do and whether you have enough time and stamina to do it (especially the ladies who want to balance business with housework) . And from this point onwards, things begin to narrow down, step by step.

Good luck to everyone who wants to start a home business...