1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

growing pain or... (something of a rant)

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tikka, Jul 26, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

... is it the short achilles acting up. K has been complaining almost every night of pain in lower legs. He wakes up crying often and it has become really difficult to get him to sleep. Yesterday, it was 11 pm :drowningand I feel like the sleep disturbances of infancy are coming back, mummy!
    How do I differentiate growing pain from his issues from toe walking constantly? Wont growing pains affect other limbs or other parts of legs like thighs? K complains only of pain in his lower legs and shin area (there are no muscles there right?!?)
    I feel silly going to the paed about this (not really a medical issue) but K's behaviour through out the day is quickly deteriorating with a lot of hitting and aggression and frustration and tantrum all coming in to the mix. The in-laws are suggesting calcium supplementation (K is now drinking a little milk here and there without any issues, yippee!). But I read there is little connection between supplementation and pain relief? Anyone has had experience managing this without medicines/supplements? thanks in advance.

2. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

Hi tikka,

I remember DD having faced some similar thing when she began walking n used to walk n run around the house all the time she was awake out of excitement of the new learning... As she was kind of allergic to milk, I did give her Calcium supplements but what I cared for most during those few months was her massage and leg exercises for her.... I used to massage her in bed right before sleep with Olemmessa oil in summers mixed with the dabur lal tel...and in winters I used I used the above or at times Olive oil..... and I observed she got relief...
    I'm not really sure to what extent are you and K facing this as even DD used to always keep telling that her legs are paining and always wanted me or DH to keep massaging them...Later we realised that she was just getting used to the relaxation as she would run n play all day long and IL's said she never said of leg pain to them.... I would once suggest to you that there's abosultely no harm in consulting the paed. Be it a mosquito bite doubt.....never take any doubts or risks for your kids....I never did !!

Supriya.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I go with the grwoing pains theory for this one Krithi. Massage, warm water soak (with a little salt aded to the water) and elevating the legs on a pillow or two help quite a few kids. I used to have this all the time and these things helped me. i dont think calcium supplements are of any use.

V.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks V, SupSam. The thing is K is not a very active, sporty child. He refuses to run or climb trees or ride his tricyle or go up on slides. He is happy to be sitting in one place and looking at the children play. He will walk around a bit and then complain of an achy leg. Yesterday, I did massage with iodex (teeny tiny amount) and sent him off to bed, he kept tossing and turning in the night and woke up crying a few times. Is it cramps? That said, he has shot up a few inches since starting school and I have had to replace with bigger shoes and shorts for him the last week.

5. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

Tikka..I wont recommend using Iodex for a kid... you can use dabur lal tail as it has some effective herbs in it...The idea of elevating the legs with pillow beneath is good but I doubt a child would remain in a particular position in sleep. If you are really feeling that as per his age, K is less active, you should definitely meet his paed. THis can just be your perception out of doubt and fear and it would be ruled out once you meet the doc. May be K is just being disinterested within. DD Sam gets these mood swings quite often and it takes us a few days of attention and proper handling to work it out. May be he is missing on something bcos kids this age can feel everything but cannot express most of it. You should talk to him..get personally invloved with him in plays rather than wanting him to play with other kids...May be your personal attention will imrove his mood and interest. Just a suggestion bcos this is common with DD and mine and DH's personal interaction gives it a lift...like I play hide n seek with her..DH would take her for kite flying...we play ringaroses or kho kho....and if once you and DH does this and you find K is enjoying then that means he needs you.

Supriya.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tikka,
    My DD had it all the time as a 2-3 yrs old. Started around the time she weaned and I thought in the lines of lack of calcium as well. Her pediatrician at the time didn't think so. He was more of the opinion that it was growth related. I used to massage her calves and feet with baby vicks or tiger balm and then give her a warm bath right before bed time. That helped a lot. I also made our weekly oil massages a bi-weekly affair. I don't remember when she actually outgrew it :( It did recur several times before she outgrew it totally!
    I would say if it does not improve in a couple of weeks, no harm in checking with the ped.

Regards,
    Laks

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks Supriya/Laks. Let me see if I can get some of wintergreen oil instead of do plain old iodex.

8. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

hey tikka ,

Its a growing pain only.

My 2 yr old daughter also cries of pain in lower legs and knees at times and asks me to keep massaging her legs.

I have consulted the doctor and given calcium supplements.

Dont worry this stage would pass away soon. Just make sure the kid doesnt skip any of the meals and see to that he doesn't go to bed tired.

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

uggghhh I wrote a big reply but it vanished..

keeping it short now - P has the same problem.. he complaints of pain in the lower leg, calves.. and sometimes says he cannot walk because of the pain.. when I tried to ignore and let him walk behind me, I could see he is not faking it.. he just could walk properly.. he could not lift his legs enough to walk.. also if he trips down, he couldnt come back on his feet.. this is happening for past 2 - 3 weeks.. worried me a lot.. I did gentle massages with oil or sometimes soothing creams and warm water bath with gentle massage on the thighs, calves and ankle in the evenings helps..after the bath, he is fine.. maybe as other say, it is growing pain (news to me). try such baths in the evenings and do come back with how K is doing.. have you tried Jhonsons baby Lavendar Bedtime cream.. it works well. just massage him with gentle strokes all over the body especialy arms and legs and toes.. this leaves a very soothing effect, relaxes and improves night sleep.. if you dont find it in stores nearby, let me know.

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

AD, so probably it is an age/school related thing given how many moms of 2/3 year olds are saying their kid too is going/gone through it.
    I bought a bottle of lavender moisturising lotion for K, he is simply intolerant to J and J products, eczema flare up and what not. Thanks, thanks, thanks. You reminded me that I have a bit of Lavendar Oil left over from his horrible sleep days of infancy. I am somewhat desperate because I have had a relapse of the flu (or something quite potent) from last week because of poor sleep.
    Tks Sarajara, his eating his poorly now. I will keep an eye on it.