1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grocery Shopping, an Extreme Sport

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Natpudan, but dont you feel the pinch of the extreme sport when you pay the bills or do you just let your wife have a free run of the credit card? Or are you among the diminishing number of people like me who are old fashioned enough to make cash down payments? The wives insuring husbands and then sending them off to do grocery shopping is a great idea but if the insurance companies get the drift they will include lude a clause that they would not be liable to pay insurance if the DH dies during grocery shopping.

2. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

hi balajee
    I went yesterday for my monthly grocery shopping and well.. bought only what was required and had made a very tight no wastage or extra list and when i came to billing counter... well the amount was 10% more than usual and I was protesting with the shopkeeper to re-check!!!... inflation is really hit the food prices big time!!!
    and yes i second you that we should all carry our fitness certificates whilst shopping as its a dangerous sport indeed!!!
    K

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sri, At least in Delhi it is cheaper to buy frozen peas than fresh ones.As for Paarthal Pasi Theerum, it would be a lot better if our hunger and nutritional needs are satiated by just looking at the food items!

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Meenu, for your information, the moong dal mentioned in this thread was bought at a government cooperative store and it cost Rs 143 per kilo. So queuing up at such stores does not make much sense. The cost is only marginally different. In a new years Idli may be considered a luxury item!

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viju I DID buy a kilo of sugar but alas, nothing dramatic happened after that. The secret of staying on your feet while buying sugar is buy it along with other commodities and pay the total price without checking for the price of individual items,. At least in my case it worked.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamla, I did go grocery shopping after that but survived by not bothering to ask for the price of individual items. That would have given me a heart attack.!

7. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    Nice to meet you. Wonderful writeup yaar. Payatham paruppu vela koodinathukku....... ivvalavu buildupaaaaaa :biglaugh
    the health ministry should make it compulsory for shopkeepers to have a sign outside their stores declaring that shopping for groceries is injurious to health ......... this is really :rotfl.
    Hope you never do grocery shopping with your DW.......:biglaugh. Learn from your DW , how to stay healthy heart....:thumbsup.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Feduptocore, shopping is life-taking for men and should be left to ladies who according to doctors are less prone to heart attacks. They also get a kick out of shopping price be damned.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Susri ladies get a kick out of shopping prices be damned. Men on the other hand tend to count every paisa. They feel the pinch of inflation more than the women. Also men are more prone to heart attacks than women, according to medical studies. So it is safer for the women to shop than men.As for the buildup over payitham paruppu price hike, the price soared to stratospheric heights and therefore needed such a buildup.

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

balaji sir,
    enjoyed your write up...
    not only dhals, vegetable prices also shoot up as sky level illayaaa..

after seeing veg prices, i follow bhargavi method to buy veg in less quantity..