1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grocery Shopping, an Extreme Sport

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Mindi, if women find shopping of any kind a chore, household expenses would come down considerably.

2. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Balajee
    I just got back from the provision store and hid the credit card slip under my woollies in the cupboard as the husband was bang in the middle of another Dangerous Sport viz : reading the monthly credit card bill. Delayed asphixiation is as virtuous as delayed gratification.
    One gratification was not only delayed but had to be cancelled totally because, though i came back with a wedding -thamboola- paper- bag of provisions thats going to cut into our retirement funds, i had had to forgo buying the ingredients for Pesarattu requested by the husband for tonight's dinner. The poor man ! It will take time for him to come to terms with the fact that we cannot afford luxuries.Sigh ! We are only going to have Farfalle with Camembert, and a dessert of Tiramisu . No persarattu ! Boo-Hoo !

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Balajee,

Wow what an experience. Enjoyed reading. Great.

Wives can insure husbands for a hefty sum & then send them on to this Extreme Sport and make sure they themselves can go out on their own for the rest of their lives. They can get rid of the pain & enjoy shopping too. A two in one solution that seems to be.:)

I never venture into this sport and I am happy that I never ever remember the price of any thing. So it's never a shock for me. I pity my wife, she can not get rid of me & enjoy the claims.:bonk

Once or twice I have had to run unavoidable errands, I ask her what she wants & she will snub saying you go to the store and after reaching the section, give me a call, that much of confidence she has on my memory.

I will give a call even before reaching the section bcos I will forget the section. She will direct me, turn left, right, 10 steps ahead on the right on the 3rd shelf from the top, 1kg packs, next 500 gms and there it is, is my ordeal over, no - brand confirmation, packing date, then I will have to dig to the back end to get the latest packing (that's how they arrange).

Amazing these women are, what a memory and that's the reason they never forget any of our mistakes of the past.:crazy

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Balajee,
    Nicely and humourously pointed out the inflation in 'medical' terms.

Sure it is, sometimes I used to remember the song.."paarthal pasi theerum"..and leave the place without buying those items.

Not only dhals, but vegetables too in the same vicious cycle of inflation..:spin
    After looking at those prices, I either totally avoid buying it or if it is necessary buy in lesser quantities, which paves the way for a different menu for that day.
    Even the frozen veg. prices, canned ones...had gone high..

sriniketan

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jaya, you must be the first woman to consider shoppng as an extreme sport. Otherwise for many it is an addiction like heroin or cocaine addiction. .

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

KAMALJI THAT IS A VERY FISHY OBSERVATION. IF VEGETARIANS TAKE TO EATING FISH THE PRICE OF FISH WILL SKYROCKET AND YOUD START THINKING OF MOONG DAL AS A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE. aND HARSHA WILL DEMAND MONEY FROM YOU EVERY DAY FOR PROVISIONS.

7. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Hi Balaji
    An apt blog in the present scenario presented in an interesting manner.Also that shopkeeper customer conversation is no more supposed to be dramatic.In our last vacation we were surprised by the prices.A hundred Rupee has become nothing for a middle class family now.Urad dhal now cost more than 100/kg.So having Iddly /Dosa will be a luxury in a short time.Also no need to talk about moong dhal or vegetables .We can see the long queue in cooperative soceities or government subsidied shopping centres.Hope government will take some action

8. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Balajee,
    Next week, do NOT go out. Or your wife may ask you to buy a kilo of sugar... and you may collapse right there... Be warned! Keep an ambulance handy if you dare to shop for sugar in the coming weeks!

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

What a world! Even pesarattu is becoming a luxury!. When you shop with credit card you just don't realize how much you're buying. You feel the pinch only when the bank sends in the statement! We use credit cards only to buy petrol for the car otherwise it is cash down payment. That way one tends to spend less.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

My urgent request to you...please, never ever go grocery shopping again. I fear for your health and we need you hale and healthy or else we will be the big losers...For...who else will throw us into the fits of laughter and mirth even while reading matters of how our world is spinning downwards?!!

Yes, lets all take an oath to give up on pesarattu, pongal and kootu and try to make do with Camembert and Tiramisu and fish (for those who eat fish)!!!!

We (as in housewives-we) keep a look out on the deals of the week/month and even pool in a car to cross miles to get that buy one get one free deals from the Indian stores..It is another matter that the price of that one bag covers both!!:)

Hilarious!!

L, Kamla

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010