1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

grinding rice + boiled vegetables

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by ADAP, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ADAP

ADAP New IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm grinding rice and boiled vegetables in mixer to feed my 9 months baby.one of my friend told that you should not grind the rice,is there any problem in grinding rice. I tried giving mashing with hands or spoon.. He's not eating. Please give your feedback.
    Thanks in advance

2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

You can try rice to water ratio as 1:8 first, then slowly as 1:4 and so on. If you grind then they will just swallow.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@ADAP,
    grinding rice makes it too pasty and they don't like the consistency. This what i do for my DS and he loves it.
    On weekend, i take rice (3/4 white + 1/4 brown). soak brown over night and white for 1 hour, dal (i use moong now) 1/2 cup soak for 1 hours. I wash them, air dry then (in India u can sun dry). One they are are dry, roast them individually along with some jeera and balck paper (you can skip spices if ur baby is not used to and add then gradually later) and make a powder.

During his feeding time, i take 1 cup of water and add 2 TBS of power and cook, while cooking i add some ghee and pinch of salt and once its cooked, i add cooked and pureed veggies like carrot, squash, beans, beets etc (made on weekends) and heat through.

Some time instead of water i user plain tomato Rasam or vegetable stock.

hope this helps.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

If this is the only way your baby has the rice there is nothing wrong in it. My mother tells me that my sister refused anything but the bottle for a long time. My mother would puree all the food, pour it into the bottle, snip the nipple and give her. She is perfectly fine 45 years later :)

5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

If your kid is eating this, do not bother. However in course of time try the rava method which viki123 has postedd. This is to make sure the baby gets used to various consistency of food. I did the rava method for my kids, they loved it

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I used to grind rice and give till 7-8 months. Then I used to pressure cook the rice with lots of water and till its a little thick and mushy. You can try that. Later I added moon dal, the ratio would be 2:1 dal to rice. More dal and less rice at first. This too I cooked till mushy, like kichdi. Then I would do tempering with cumin seeds and hing, it gives the rice flavor, you can add ghee or oil. By nine months, babies like to taste different things.

At one year, I make moon dal-rice khichdi, cumin seeds, hing, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin-coriander powder and garam masala and very little salt.

Cooks

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

The important thing is that your baby should eat , so you stick to what works for baby .

no problem in grinding rice and feeding . In between start giving him small pieces of idli , dosa , roti , other small soft food ,then you can start feeding him without grinding .

there is no point stressing over. . They will start eating normal food sooner or later

8. ADAP

ADAP New IL'ite

Thanku all.. I will try moongdal and rice..Which fruits I can give now? Can I give any biscuit in the evening time? Any suggestions?

9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

You can give banana, strawberries, custard apple(with seeds removed), chikku,mango, papaya or any other soft fruit.

I wouldnt give biscuit in the evening time, they have sugar in it, so the baby might have difficulty settling down and sleeping at night. Maybe some puffed rice snack (lightly sauteed in oil,turmeric, salt) or sev or pauva.

Cooks

10. ADAP

ADAP New IL'ite

Thanku cook...