1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Green leafy vegetables

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by cuppcake, Jan 1, 2013.

1. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

I have been trying to incorporate green leafy veggies in my diet, aiming for atleast a cup of them in any form. However, its getting to be quite a challenge because except spinach, coriander and methi, I haven't tried any new leafy veggies.

Can anyone suggest any recipes from easily available green leafy veggies in India.

Also, is it advisable to consume uncooked spinach (eg. in juices/smoothies/salads)..is washing the leaves properly enough precaution against microrganisms that may be on the leaves?

2. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Eating spinach salad or juice healthy too, provided you prewashed nicely. Also it's good if you buy packet available in stores, it would be under the name spinach salad. Those packets are trustworthy still you have to rinse slightly.

3. meenurani

meenurani Silver IL'ite

I think it is better not to have leafy veggies raw, unless it is organic,as the amount of pesticides used on them are high.

Below are some ways i include leafy vegies in my diet
    1. Make spicy dosa (gring soaked rice, coconut, red chilli, hing , turmeric,jeera grind it coarse. Add in chopped leaves, add as much leaves as possible. make dosa with it. make it crisy with some oil. it is yum)
    2. Make idli.Use the same batter in 1.
    3. Thoran - cook some pulse-moong,cow peas. Make tadka of mustard,hing,red chilli, garlic and curry leaves. add in leaves and cooked pulsed and cook for 5 mins. now add in grated coconut and turmeric. it will get ready in less than 10 mins.
    4. make spinach puree and knead chapathi dough with this instead of water

1 person likes this.
  4. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

thanks mehana

great ideas meenurani..esp # 2 and 4

5. reachingskies

reachingskies Silver IL'ite

You can even try Mint chutney for keep in Sand wiches....

Try lettuce, Kale....in salads.....
    you can steam Broccoli and have with ranch....

Boil parsley in water....drain leaves of parsely and drink......
    Parsley clears.....kidneys.....but pregnant and trying to conceive women should not take it as it may induce periods......

1 person likes this.
  6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

How about Methi (fenugreek leaves)? They have a lot of nutritional value as well.

Add chopped methi leaves to your chapatti dough with a pinch of turmeric, salt and red chilli powder. While kneading add a little curd. This dough makes very tasty methi parathas to have with curd or even you can make regular methi chapatis instead.
    Similary, by adding methi leaves and some spices in the dough, you can make methi puris instead of plain puris.
    Add chopped methi leaves to veg biryani. It will give a very distinct but yummy taste.

I also keep pudina leaves handy always and use it lavishly in most of my dishes. You can also make pudina parathas as above

Curry leaves are very good for digestion and to help keep the system clean. So do use them always

1 person likes this.
  7. Henrybishop

Henrybishop New IL'ite

Green Leafs which i have found are not into spinach family but its also called as Indian spinach,Red vine spinach,Malabar Spinach and so on.

It has a thick fleshy leaves.It is also called as climbing or creeping spinach also available in dark purple also.This Greens are high in Vit A,Vit C,Iron and Calcium and is also a rich source of Soluble Fiber.

It can be used in Dal's,Stews ,or along with vegetable curries.Tastes good with
    Potatoes.

If its interesting Try it...

Henry :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.