1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Green Leafy Vegetables in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nivedi, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

I don't know Blondie, I am not too fond of sweets, so anything tasting sweet used to avoid, now I will start experimenting.....Thanks for more Ideas.
    Tulasi

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hey Blondie,

Good!Yeah even i do use "frozen cooked chinese potato" from indian stores many times..I forgot to mention this in my recipe.The same curry tastes good with spinach-yam too!

cheers,
    vaishu

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

HelloAll
    Blondie just saw your photos of kanda bachali recipe. your pictures look good enough to eat.
    nice notes about all the green veg. and leafy veg. but not sure in winter what will still be available.

4. AmericanBiwi

AmericanBiwi New IL'ite

I often make saag with about 16 ounces of spinach and 10 ounces of Collard Greens. Somehow the two greens together are tastier than either of them separately. Many of my Indian friends have asked me for the recipe, and one of them even started growing Collard Greens in his garden for it!

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Nice to know that u prepare such a tasty dish.Why don't u go ahead and share ur recipe with us,so that we can feed new and tasty dish to our hubby and kids!

-Cheers,
    -Vaishu

6. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Yes AB,
    eagerly waiting for your recipe.......

by the way the same friend brought me some more bachali last night and I showed her my post & pics. She was tickled pink:tongue . This weekend I am helping her to bring in all of the gongura before they wilt in the cold temperatures.(keeping our fingers crossed)

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Yes please post the recipe using collard greens as i dont know any so dont use them a lot.

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I started cooking bok choy curry and kootu and it has become a hit in our family. The curry tastes very good if fried with onions.
    Recently, some neighbor gave me a spaghetti squash. It is very hard to chop into pieces. Later, I found out you just cut into two pieces, and microwave for 5 minutes or cook in the oven. When you take it out and scoop the inside, it really shreds like spaghetti. I cooked it like vermicelli upma and it tastes great. For some of us who are limiting eating pasta because of high carb, this is great.

Usha

9. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Chithra - here is what I make with collard greens. Buy fresh collard greens - because it is so much better than frozen. Chop into small pieces. You can make curry with this - couple of options; take about 2-3 tbs of toor dal and soak it - then season with mustard, add the soaked and drained toor dal and and add the collard greens. Unlike spinach, collard greens does not reduce a whole lot in quantity. Cover and cook till the greens are cooked. Another way that I cook this is like paruppu usli - instead of the traditional vegetables, you put this keerai. It tastes very good. You can also add it to adai - for this you can frozen, it is ok.

I also cook kale in the same manner. You can get very good fresh greens in whole foods market or wild oats market.

10. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Usha - thanks for the tip of using bok choy as curry - I will try it. Do you just fry the onions and then add bok choy - can you share your recipe??