1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Great Men Exude Humility

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, May 7, 2020.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Godly qualities make us dearest to all. Testing times in our lives are the times for our true nature to blossom. Great people's greatness flowers on such occasions.
    An example;
    When Abraham Lincoln became the President of America, the whole American aristocracy was very much shocked that they had to live under a shoemaker 's presidency, because Lincoln 's father was a shoemaker. In the Senate, there were all aristocrats -super rich people. The first speech Lincoln delivered on the inauguration of his term was interrupted in the beginning by a man, very arrogant and egoist, standing up and showing his shoes and saying, "Mr. Lincoln, by accident you have become the president. But never forget that your father was a shoemaker. In fact, in my family your father used to come to make shoes for everybody. The shoe I am showing you is made by your father. "
    The whole Senate laughed; they thought they had humiliated Lincoln. But it is difficult to humiliate people like Lincoln. There were tears in his eyes, and he said, "I am immensely grateful to you for reminding me of my father. He was a perfect shoemaker, I know I cannot be that perfect a president. I cannot beat him. But I will try my best at least to reach closer to his greatness.
    As for your family and the shoes my father has made, I can inform the whole Senate that there may be other aristocratic families that my father used to make shoes for. A little bit of shoemaking art he has taught me too. If his shoes are not working well -if they pinch you, if they are too tight, or too loose I can always mend them I am my own father's son. Never feel embarrassed -just inform me. I can come and do my best. Of course, it will not be the same as my father, but he is dead. "
    There was great silence. ....the Senators could not believe -what mettle is this man made of? You cannot insult him. He can turn your insult into great respect. And he is so humble, how can you humiliate him? Only arrogant people can be humiliated.

Lincoln stands tall in history!

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Good example....

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Isn't it? We read or hear so many episodes of how great people conduct themselves and yet we don't endeavor to lift ourselves from our mundane existence.

4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

And also we never hear any story of very common man who never did anything extra.

Cheeniya likes this.