1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gravity - Movie review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by vanijay, Jan 27, 2014.

1. vanijay

vanijay New IL'ite

Weekendhad a chance to watch the movie ‘Gravity’. The story was simple. Ryan (SandraBullock) and Matt (George Clooney) were the sole survivors of a space mission. Theyshuttle was hopelessly damaged, the crew was dead, all the telecommunications werelost. Will they survive? How?

The first and foremost thing that needs special mention is that,this movie has just two characters. And in most of the scenes it is just onecharacter versus the audience. One may wonder how a movie can keep the audiencehooked till the end with such limited characters. Yet, this movie does thatexactly. How ? Through the clever handling of characters Even at the brink ofadversity, Ryan and Matt constantly talks, giving us the hints of what kind ofpersons they are. When Ryan talks about her daughter and later when Matt asksher that she should learn to let go of things, we can empathize with thecharacters. We sincerely want Ryan and Matt somehow to find a way back toearth.

Since the story is just about two characters and their survival,set in backdrop of space, we watch the entire movie as is we are set loose inthe never ending dark pit of stars and planets. In fact, even after watchingthe movie, for couple of hours, I felt like I was floating somewhere. So thatproves, the movie was captured indeed splendidly. Through the eyes of thismovie, we get to see the beautiful outer space and its astounding mystery whichthe fragile human mind constantly trying to grasp. It was beautiful. It wasmenacing. It was baffling.

Ofcourse, all the epic has its place where it goes down. Whenthe movie thrillingly takes us to its ending with series of unimaginablehurdles, I had a strange feeling, Is that all possible? The ending was too goodto relish and too absurd to believe. I guess that’s where the movie becomescinematic and transports us back from the space to the reality.

2. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

I really loved the animation and technical stuff of the movie

3. vanijay

vanijay New IL'ite

yes the movie has the top notch animation.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the review vanijay :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

Fantastic and must watch movie. However, there were some logical errors in the scenes like sun was yellow in colour. It used to be white in colour from space.

6. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I'm i'm just.....out of EARTH!!!!!!
    Searching for words to give exact expression
    ONE of the PUREST form of amusement,astonishment,with little humanity touch.

Watched many times and lastly last night in 3d (Our ultra new samsung smart tv)along with DS.
    Ds being a astronautical student,gave some extra info in each frame.:biggrin2:

We have been already into plenty of fanciful falsehood movies,and have accepted them as fantasies.
    and GRAVITY is also just an imaginary hi-tech thriller with SOME truth(s) IN.
    Only at this Point Gravity movie grooved with black marks by experts, as it was filmed in a such a way its REAL,with 100% reality,but the truth is its not...(there are some contradictions to real space world)

Astro Experts throwing recrimination "there are many technical and operational inaccuracies in Gravity movie .."

More views here.....
    Leroy Chiao: 'Gravity' Works, If You Don't Focus on the Physics | Space Film | Space.com

5 things that couldn't happen in 'Gravity'
    5 things that couldn't happen in 'Gravity' - CNN.com

BUT NO one is cared about this impact and everyone is enjoying the movie as entertainment.

May be the experts in space field zoom out the errors,but we the ordinary specs Just wipe those minor errors for SPACE's sake.:) and enjoy this spectacular technical FLICK.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  7. vanijay

vanijay New IL'ite

@Yashikushi, Thanks for sharing those links. Sounds interesting. The visuals of this movie is just out of world experience. In fact I am planning to research further on how they actually shot the movie..with characters just floating around..must be a great challenge.

1 person likes this.
  8. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the link Yashi!

Checked out the comments and I think its okay. That's all can be done if movie has to be taken. Some things have to be compromised.

1 person likes this.
  9. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Wait for some more months,all tech secrets will be revealed.

I'm too curious to explore the behind scene tech details,but dropped the idea as it may minify my enthu towards the film.[​IMG]

For your giving you this rough details from Wiki
    Gravity (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.......A big challenge for the team was the question of how to shoot long takes in a zero-g environment. Eventually the team decided to use computer-generated imagery for the spacewalk scenes, and automotive robots to move Bullock's character for interior space station scenes. This meant that shots and blocking had to be planned well in advance in order for the robots to be programmed...

Most of Bullock's shots were done with her inside of a giant mechanical rig...Getting into the rig took a significant amount of time, so Bullock opted to stay in it for up to 10 hours a day, communicating with others only through a headset...

..Cuarón-film maker, said his biggest challenge was to make the set feel as inviting and non-claustrophobic as possible.

..The team attempted to do this by having a massive celebration when Bullock arrived each day. They also nicknamed the rig "Sandy's cage" and gave it a lighted sign reflecting this....

:) :) :)

gravity-o.gif

1 person likes this.
  10. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I watched it last week. My friends watched this in iMax theater. It is definitely commendable. The movie made me feel that I was also in space. It was definitely out of the world. I had this movie impact for a long time. I started assuming if I was in her situation what would I have done. I would have done nuts! Not sure if I would have the strength to come out. The fear of being left out would have killed me. It would be more or less living hell.

I felt this movie indirectly also emphasized that there is a powerful energy than we humans and so called advanced technology.
    Thank you Yashi for the links. This movie also made me do some research.

1 person likes this.