Grave Of The Fireflies

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, May 12, 2016.

1. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I've not written any movie review till date. I never felt compelled to write one. While prowling on anime forums, I chanced on a thread where members were discussing favourite movies. Mind, these folks are hardcore anime aficionados, the ones who suss out and connect trivia like the back of one's palm. I did not expect to recognize even a single flick. Surprisingly, most of them quoted Grave of the Fireflies as their all-time favourite along with Spirited Away in a squeaker. Why is a Japanese animated film from 1988 better than Spirited Away (2001) ?

Grave of the Fireflies is an animated war drama film written and directed by Isao Takahata and animated by Studio Ghibli. It is based on the 1967 semi-autobiographical short story Grave of the Fireflies by Akiyuki Nosaka. Set in the city of Kobe, Japan, the film tells the story of two siblings, Seita and Setsuko, and their desperate struggle to survive during the final months of the Second World War.

There are many award-winning war dramas. There are many poignant films merited with a bundle of tissues. There are few that have such an impact on you that you whisper 'Life is worth living' every time you lock eyes with your shadow. Then there are those rare films, those transcendental films that compel people like me to open a thread, spread the word, and declare this film as a must-watch. I cannot piece apart and select any particular scene from the film that stirred me, but all the "fruit drop" scenes bled my heart.

Here is the iconic poster of the film. If you do get a chance, please watch the film.

Poster.png

kaniths and rgsrinivasan like this.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I haven't heard about this film yet. Will surely try seeing it. Thanks for a crisp one. -rgs

Cimorene likes this.