1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Granola bars

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Varloo, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I have some queries to ask regarding health and nutrition. Those who knlw the answer, please post it.
    1. I was hearing so much about the rice bran oil, I bought it last week. When I fried pakodas, there was slight frothing. Is it normal?
    2. The colour of the oil was like gingelly oil. Ok?
    3. I bought NATURE VALLEY granola bars, manufactured by General Mills Marketing Inc., USA. The pack says this contains oats, nuts-all whole grains. I send one pack (2 thin bars) for my 15 year old son's mid afternoon snack. He says that it is very filling and he feels satisfied with that. Is it a healthy snack to give to children?
    Thank you,

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

Yes Granola bars are quite healthy. I always think of them as the US verion of Pori urundai. you say that you send two bars for Aravind. Just check the serving size on the pack. I think if you send one bar with a fruit that would be far better. usually granola bars tend to have a lot of sugar.( since that is what is used to bind all the ingredients together). But yes i love them and eat them all the time for a quick energy fix.

Hope this helps

Vandhana

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Caution!

Dear Varloo,

I agree with Vandhana in that Granola bars are deceptive in the sense although they are nutritious, they are laden with calories. So take care how much your son gets to eat. I would substitue one granola bar with a fruit of his liking, apple being the best and practical for snacking purposes.
    If you are looking for some other snack ideas...how about steamed food such as dokhlas , pruppu urundai, rava idli etc? Also wholewheat sandwiches with nutritious filling of his liking comes to my mind. These are easy to make and have no fat and reasonable in calories. Just a thought.

L, Kamla

4. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Hi Varloo

As Vandhana and Kamla say, I too endorse the G bars. When I am in a hurry, the next best alternative to a healthy home made food would be this. I would prefer my hubby to have G bars in the mornings rather than a toast or a bagel or just coffee. I also have the same brand and relish the taste. This is one of the exceptions where health and taste go hand in hand.

hopefloats

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    thanks for the immediate replies. The bar is 42 gm wt. It tastes little bland and dry only, not sweet at all. There are two thin bars in one pack, I send that for him. I forgot to mention, my son leaves at 7 in the morning and cooked snack may get poiled by 3 in the afternoon. That is the reason I am sending this G bar. Chihra had suggested some simple snacks (cooked) which I am about to try. I feel that there should be variety otherwise he will get bored. Thanks and any other ideas also welcome.

6. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

Where can you get granolabar in chennai

My SIl lives in chennai and is suffering from ulcer.She is a bank officer and has a hectic schedule often does not find time to eat. Granola bars would be a good snack in this case I think. Would like to know which stores in chennai carry these?

Thanks & Rgds
    Sree

2 people like this.
  7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Sreekulu,
    Granola bars are available in Nilgris Departmental Stores at Mylapore, T.Nagar, Anna Nagar etc. There are also more branches. I found them good for my son.

8. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

HI
    GRANOLA bars, now available in India too, are very nutritious indeed and filling , 2 bars good enough for lunch.
    My friend once brought a sweet , called "Antundey" in Kannada language, from Bangalore. Very similar to Granola bars. Made of nutritious grains , cereals and dried fruits and very tasty. It was from a shop called " Kamat Loka Ruchi" . But I am sure it can be made at home.
    Can anyone from Karnataka give the recipe ?

Manjula

9. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

Thankyou

Thankyou for the help Varalakshmi!

Sree