1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grandpa LBWed!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Aug 29, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Grandpa LBWed!

Adi sheruppaala!!’ (Whack him with slippers! Effect lost in translation??) muttered Ranganatha Iyer as he watched Sehwag being caught out in slow motion action replay. ‘These buggers are good only for advertisements,’ he muttered in disgust while groping around for the remote control as continuous replay mauled his patriotic feelings. Watching cricket on a plasma TV was a treat but it did make Team India’s flop show larger than life! Bad enough when I watched India lose out on a 21” TV! These new-fangled gizmos make it worse…
    Pulling the remote control ( Are they so christened as they hide in the remotest places possible? ) from under the cushions, he started surfing channels. A coverage of the Miss World pageant caught his fancy. What shameless hussies! muttered, Ranganatha Iyer… How can they call this a coverage when young shameless girls hardly cover parts of their bodies? He chuckled at his dexerity with words! Still, jokes apart, this muster of emaciated peacocks set standards for beauty! He could not believe it. His idea of beauty was his wife Amudavalli- with all her dusky charm, her traditional buxom looks and madisaru podavai…. How he used to force her into wearing nine yards of saree when they were newly married, just to steal glances at the flash of her calves as she moved about in the house. It is what you don’t see that tantalizes you more than what is exhibited or flaunted, he felt. If he were in the panel of judges he would definitely give them the toughest question. How will you drape yourself in nine yards of material to bring out your beauty? That’ll floor these stick figured peacocks!”
    ‘Paati! Paati! Thatha is watching aamanathondi pondugal ( nude women ) on the TV!” His grandsons were yelling on top of their voices. SHHH...! The whole neighbourhood can hear you, he said as he hurriedly switched the TV off…but not before he encountered the blazing eyes of his 75 year old wife who declared… Kandraavi!! Kaadu vaa vaangaradu… Veedu po pongaradu… innuttum manushyanodu aashaya paaru! (rough translation… You are in the last innings of life, yet your yearnings have not subsided! Or something to that effect). Ranganathaiyer sighed. Innakku rathri rava kanji thaan!

sindmani likes this.

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Twinsmom
    That was awesome!
    :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

A typical scenario.

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi twinsmom,
    Sema post adhu, patti thatha, kids comment ellam super. I loved the kids innocent remarks though. Thatha sapadula "mann".
    Where do you get such swell ideas, wonderful language too.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

really hilarious viju,
    as usual u have brought out the humour, but u know it is because of this attitude in woman that men keep running behind this tv and so many other visuals, no harm if a wife can sit down next to him, and join in commenting then they may not enjoy that visual so much, and our children will also learn to love rather than get ready for a fight at the drop of a hat, as they have grown up looking at that more than the emotional scene of their parents & grandparents, it is our culture that is being followed blindly and frustrating blindly, with no result...nice write up. :thumbsup :rotfl sunkan

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear TM,
    Pavam mama. Akkampakkam (peranai) kavanikkama, ippadi kannaik kottamal rasichirukkaare !
    Anal, pattikku ithu porukkaalaingarathum, justified thane ?
    Innikku "virundukku" chance poye pochu !:mrgreen:
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi friends...
    This was something I immensely enjoyed writing... and I can see that helpless situations can be so hilarious...
    I tried posting this ten times earlier... but some technical glitch put the spanner in the works each time... finally I managed to do the right thing! Reminds me of the hindi adage...Intzaar ka fal meetha hotha hai!
    Thank you...

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom
    You were never privy to my personal life and yet you seem to know this incident in its minutest detail! Are you endowed with any ESP?
    It was like a page from my personal diary!
    Sri

8. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Sri,
    You a grampa? Nah! I can't believe that! :-D

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Twinsmom
    A grandson towering over me at 6 feet in his 10th and two extremely sweet grand daughters!
    Sri:2thumbsup:

10. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi

That was a great story......... through ur narration u make the person visualise and bring the picture in front of the eyes..........

Have a great art of writing....

On the lighter side of it ..... it need not have to happen to Grandpas/Gmas.... It also happens to couples after 45+........

Keep writing.......

Veda