1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gowri

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Apr 11, 2023.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

Thanks for your comments.
    Those days there were no psychiatric treatment available. Like you said everyone did what they thought best. But it is sad.
    This is the reason, throughout my narration, i have not blamed anyone. No one knew how to handle such situations.

Thanks
    Uma

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: The post and the concluding part to-day arrived a tad early. But I thought there would be many more interesting chapters including the scenes involving Gouri rejoicing in the company of near and dear.

A perfect word - good choice of word for the look devoid of expression.
    Have seen a few elder men & a old lady too in orphanages after recovering from Psychiatric diseases - autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, major depression and schizophrenia.

persons well matured would always do that. A good perfect thought.

Rihana likes this.
  3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    For Gowri to gain confidence to visit her near and dear ones would require many more years of counseling. That is why I did not write beyond her recovery.
    From what I read mentaly disturbed people once rehabilitated can go back to their old self, when they feel disturbed. If Gowri had revisited her Village I could not imagine, how she would react to the villagers talking about her past
    By the time she was treated Gowri was old and the last years of her life, I wanted her to smile a lot.
    Hence the ending.
    The reason I wanted to write about this is the pathetic way mental disorder was looked upon.
    Even as late as 1970's people did not take it seriously. My nephew had/has a mental problem. When he was 2 years old, no one could understand he was mentally sick. All he would do is keep walking up and down. Never sit down. He was beaten, so that he would stop. They called it hyperactivity. Very sad.
    Today he lives in an institution.

Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.