1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gossip Is The Name Of The Warning Bell, This Time!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Dec 22, 2006.

1. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Not nourishing for our brains

Dear Sridhar,
    What you have written is so true. I always believe that one who 'gossips to you will also gossip about you'. I always wonder how famous people deal with it. I am sure they also pay a price and their privacy is invaded. I always think that they are human beings too. Thanks for your wonderful post.
    Vidhya that was a wonderful poem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Love,

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

A li'l gossip from my side too!!

Dear Sridharji and friends,

Please don't judge me by the title of this post for I belong to your category too, the category of 'believers of gossip-less conversations'!!

Although I do agree that one of the most prominent virtues of a woman is the ability to hold a conversation for hours and still keep it lively, it is a known fact that atleast 30-50% of the conversation comprises gossip(no source for the statistics, just my experience-so please don't quote me elsewhere!).

Time for some gossip:tongue :
    I have (almost) lost a good friend only because I rejected the idea of joining an 'all-girls group' when I learnt that all they do is party, gossip, whine and talk ill about others! Mind you, this just happened recently - so I haven't let my imagination run wild to build a story here- it is all factual! I am in the process of losing another friend because of the 'SAME' reason!!! Guess what, it does hurt me that I am losing some friends, but hey, I have just enough time to manage productive things in life - unproductive/futile activities can sure take a back-seat!

Sridharji, the story you have mentioned in this context is horrifying! I'd like to forward it to as many people as is possible, so atleast the little part of the population I know would hopefully realize and get cleansed!!

A meaningful write-up Sridharji and an apt poem Vidya!

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gossip - DEVIL's Character

Hi Mr. Sridhar,

I read your article. Bravo ! It was very nice and 100% truth. Its good for building up(??) a healthy community. I am habituated to say the truth on the "Face", who ever it is. But no one in todays world are ready to listen to this. Every one likes people who talk very sweet before them and are not cared about what they would talk about her(/him) on their back. This is because, the people who like others talking in sweet manner to them, themselves are the ones who act the same way as the one they are talking to.....I mean to say, ALL ARE GOOD ACTORS. No one likes to say the truth, as by doing so they will lose the other's company and they will not be able to hear 'Mirch Masala' of others ! In other words, no one has gutts to hear their "Dark Side" (actually their real side) from others.

"Everyone wears a mask, metaphorically speaking"

According to me,

Gossipping means : Peeping into other's house . because all the Devil in the mind, has no work all day.

The root for Gosips is not in the friend's circle, but in the Relatives itself ! Let m take my case.
    (This is somewhat a long story, please read)
    I got married to my mother's last brother (my matrimonial uncle, MAMA). So my grandmother suddenly became my Mother-in-law ! But, in my MIL's view, she considered me as a Grand daughter and so did my 3 Sister-In-laws. Because of my MIL, my SILs did not join me into their group (??), because when ever they talk it will be about My Mother and Grand Mother. So they have nothing to talk with me, but always keep talking among themselves.

My MIL and FIL, i.e. my Grand mother and Grand father, will admire me because of my open , face-face talking. They would insist upon the other 3 SILs to be like me, and hence the had some vengence on me. They thought I was closer to MIL and FIL than them eventhough i was youngest, which is true. But I was proved wrong by my MIL and FIL within 6 months from my marriage or so, they started looking at me as a DIL rather than Granddaughter and they did not like my frankness ! But I dont know the reason for this change (till date).

I have had this bitter experience with my parents also ! But my biggest PLUS point I have my husband to support me. He not only preaches this, but also follows the same. He, too, believes that truth always wins, even if it not today, may be tomorrow or the other day.... Now a days, even my son is also like this. Due to obvious reasons, we have limited (but true) friends.

As Aishu said,
    I was both happy and sad to read your contribution. Sad because this is not only happening in house but also at workplaces. Happy because, I have met (atleast read about) the person who is of my Frequency :).

As Kanmani wanted to put an end to gossip, every one of us want to. But as the saying goes
    You all will be surpirsed to see the concept behind which Gossip spreads like "Forest Fire". Its due to a process called "Binary Fission" in the Nuclear Reactor. We all know that a Nuclear Reactor has a rod called "Conrol Rod" that actually controls the rate of Fission. But this ROD is missing here. And the Nuclear Reactor is "MEGA SERIALs"

So, what I want to convey here is, we should have a control rod as in reactor for Meag Serials. We cannot ban them. But we can avoid them. (As in the case of Nuclear Reactor, they need PERFECT control meachanism)

FYI, We (my family) have never seen any serial (so called).

Vidhya, your poem was very apt for this place.

Shal, I would like to tell you one thing. People who are straight-forward are like Ashoka Tree (X-Mas Tree). They have a little or no branches. But we too have a day (Month?) where only X-Mas tree can be used, Christmas. And it represents GOD.

Now-a-days, my SIL's have started understanding me. Even my MIL and FIL, in their last days, felt that I was (and will be) better that their other SILs.

So Shal, again I am telling you, dont lose heart. What u r doing is perfectly right.

Krishnaamma:wave

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  4. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

imp topic sridhar..thanks

Thought provoking write-up by Shridhar and an equally good add on by Vidya.

The best way to avoid getting into a gossip loop is when we hear any evil talk or back biting, we must halve it, quarter it, pulp it and throw it and then say nothing about it to others it seems. If we follow this rule, when unwanted 'things' go into our ear, they won't come out all mixed up with spice from our mouth.

We all should remember this adage-
    " Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you".

Very important topic you have chosen sridhar..thanks
    regards
    ambika

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

dangerous disease

Hello Sridhar,

this thread is surely required here - we ladies are known for gossip...ing
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]But women are not the only ones who have been found guilty of this sin. Gossiping is dangerous & the potential hurt that results is something we never imagine at the time of sharing secrets of others.

[/FONT]BTW, who has time these days for gossip??? I thought everyone is busy & workin over time. Times have definitely changed according to me - atleast most of the women are busy juggling between work & home with no time for themselves.

I just don't entertain such ladies, Sridhar. If I'm forced to spend the time then I try my best to change topics OR sms hubby to call & take me immediately. I don't ever go by others words - so no gossip will affect my judgement.

If each & everyone of us try & keep such useless talks at bay, this world would be a wonderful place to live in.

tooo good a post.

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I am Overwhelmed Ladies!

Most Gracious ILites,
    When I started writing on this topic I did so with some kind of trepidation. I was not sure whether a topic like this will be well-received. And for my part it takes all the audacity in the world to write in an all-ladies forum about women gossipping. And you ILites have proved for the nth time that IL is a different community and it is one large family. You have also proclaimed to the world, that we ladies are ready to welcome any opportunity for introspection even if it is as uncomfortable as a male preaching against gossipping. I am proud of you, ladies. And I am proud that I belong to this community.
    A few ideas to supplement. (Individual replies will come later. But honestly each one of your posts are complete lessons in itself that I dont think a reply will in any way do justice to your wonderful thinking).
    Men do gossip and at times they are worse than ladies. A few years ago, I belonged to an international service organisation. We used to have weekly meetings. In every meeting people will be talking in groups of say, 3. The moment the third member walks away for charging his glass or plate, the remaining two will start talking about him. I had to resign my membership in sheer frustration.
    Another point I wish to add is that Gossip enters our conversation even without our being aware of it. Even if we were to say,' My God, that lady is the biggest gossip in the town.' that itself amounts to gossip.
    As somebody pointed out none of us are angels. We are all human beings born with all possible faults but of course with a potential for divinity. Let us realise this basic fact. Let's not fall into a saint or sinner syndrome. Let us realise our imperfections and try to improve our quality and our character every day.
    One more idea I want to put before you is that many times a subtle feeling of jealousy is the root of all gossip. When we see a person who is a better specimen than ourselves, be it in the looks department or knowledge or whatever, there is an immediate urge to puncture that persons fame or name. And it gives raise to gossip.
    Once my friend was talking about all the cinema actors and actresses. He deplored their immorality in very strong words.
    He was a chartered accountant like me. Hearing his strong words of condemnation I had an idea forming in my mind.
    I told him, agreed that cine actresses are immoral. But my dear friend, we are all moral and honest, because of the lack of opportunity. We are in an all-male profession (at that time CA was like that) and the only figures we see are those on the books of accounts.
    But see the condition of cine artists. They have to work day and night standing close with the members of opposite sex. It is very difficult to be chaste under these circumstances.

As I clinched my arguments I told him, "My dear friend, I don't know about you. But I can talk for myself. Given the same set of opportunities which our friends in movies have, I will be at least twice as bad as they are."
    The friend appeared dazed for a moment. But called me next day to tell that his comments on the cine-world's morality was more prompted by his jealousy. Very nice of him to have accepted that.

Just wanted to plant the thoughts in you all.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for IL.com

Hello Sir,

I am very happy to see your posting again speaking the truth. What you have told is exactly correct. YES, JELOUSY IS THE ROOT OF GOSSIP. Really to day I want to thank again for this IL.com. It helped me to vent out my feelings through your article. Thank you for writing such wonderful article. I am a new member and definitley go through your old articles and I will reply you.

Thank you Mr. Sridhar Sir,
    Bye,
    Krishna amma:wave

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  8. varalotti

Why Working Women is subject to gossip?

Hi Kanmani,
    Gossip is independent of the gender though the world generally blames the women more for gossip. Before we dismiss this statement as prejudicial, we should observe one thing.
    Gossip normally comes in when one cannot fill up the day with hours of productive work or creative pastime. In those days, I mean, several decades ago, women did not work and had much time to kill.
    But now days have changed. In any house the woman, especially if she is a career-oriented person, has more work to do. Apart from her office work, she has to take care of children's education, manage peer-pressures at office and also put up a bold front before others. She simply does not have time to gossip.
    But a multi-faceted working woman becomes easily the subject matter of gossip. Because she is highly empowered and others seeing her develop a mild tinge of jealousy and they try to vent out this feeling picking up on her.

Gossip affects our mental and physical health and robs our time as well. As you rightly said, let's put an end to it - here and now.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

What you are doing is right, Aishu!

Hi Aishu,

What you are doing is right. But let me just temper your views with my experience, of almost 23 years, in different types of work places.

We should understand the basic facts of the world. In any work situation a majority of the people love to gossip. Now you have the practice of saying strongly the defects right on the face of your team mates, what will happen is those gossip-mongers would team up against you. And though you hate gossip, you will become the subject matter of it.

I have heard an old sanskrit adage which says,
    satyam bruuyaat, priyam bruyaat
    na bruyaat satyam apriyam

The second line is very important. The first line is straight advice. Speak the truth. And talk sweet.
    Second line says, dont say the truth which is unpleasant. That does not mean we should lie. Because the first dictate is to speak the truth.

With gossip we can do nothing; similarly, by saying right across the face that so and so is wrong, we can do nothing to change that person. Here we need some tact. Many persons are incapable of seeing the truth, of understanding it and of accepting it. So truth has to be given in small doses with a large sugar coating and at correct intervals. If you practise this not only you will be a popular team leader, your team will be the best in your company.
    all the best,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

My topic now has the stamp of approval, Kamla!

Dear Kamla,
    I left out the menfolk because this is not the forum to discuss that. And if we were to condemn all the menfolk ex parte (in their absence) that would again amount to gossip.

What you are saying about those associations is painfully true. The same thing happens in the various flat residents' associations as well. Nobody does any work; but gossiping is all time high.

Though I hate to gossip, I learnt one thing the hard way. When you are involved in activities like the associaitons and you have lot of friends, you cannot afford to be totally innocent. Without harming others or indulging in gossiping, one needs to have some kind of political skills to manouevere through the intricacies of complex human relationships.

I am happy and much relieved that this topic has met with your approval, Kamla.
    Thanks for the participation.
    regards,
    sridhar