1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Ornaments - Keep Or Sell

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Angela123, Feb 11, 2020.

1. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

First, I see gold ornaments as my last backup safety net, which I can use when in desperate need. The feeling of ‘worst case scenario, I still have that as a backup’ is worth it for me.

Second, sentimental values, like given by parents, grand parents, other family members which holds a strong value. Those i have decided to never exchange but pass on to my next generation.

Third, I actually do see it as an investment. From the year I bought to many years later now. I don’t think anything would have increased this high without 100s of risks involved to it.

Fourth, it still stays as ‘mine’. If I convert into cash, it will either be blown or just become another investment that’s made for the family. And all this strong feeling won’t be there. N I enjoy that there’s something that’s ‘mine’.

All in all, though I too barely get the chance to use it due to the distance, gold holds a ‘security’ feeling as well as a ‘sentimental’ feeling for me. So I keep it.

* You can check different bank lockers to reduce the price that’s being paid or also reduce the size of the locker.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Mistt and bhavani06 like this.
  2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I am not much of a gold person. I have my mangalsutra on a small chain, which is actually DH's and some minimal jewelry. My style is minimalistic, that is why I never brought them here. Also, desi functions I attend are 1-3 in a year. Not much of use to bring here more. Keeping in locker until I find another idea is the best I guess.

3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I do not think it as mine anymore. My parents paid for all of it except for one or two necklaces from MIL and few gifts from relatives and parents when the kid was born. Since it is already family jewelry even though majority is my wedding jewelry, there is no strong feeling of "it's mine". It is considered as an investment for the family already.

But like you said I will keep it as my last backup. It has good value, like you said.
    I am happy with the locker and locker price. I don't go to India very often, but when I go I try going to bank and make sure I my gold is intact:blush:.