1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going through a separation period - how does one deal with it?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by desilady13, Oct 15, 2013.

1. desilady13

desilady13 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,

A while ago, I posted something about my married situation and that I have planned on getting separated from my husband. Right now, living with my parents in another city from where I used to live. I haven't even filed for a divorce yet, as I am waiting to get in a better position than I am now.....and this may take upto 4-6 months before I can file for divorce..plus I am positive that my husband won't file for a divorce himself, as a) this will cost him money, b) being a typical nacrcisstic, and an emotional abusive person, he doesn't think absolutely anything is wrong with him.

I am almost done with all my crying already (when i wasn't sure what i should i do, and had mixed emotions about my marriage from the past 2 years, thats when i was crying almost daily). These days, I am trying my best to be strong during this period - getting myself occupied with my baby, watching lots of TV - comedy movies, etc etc..But still, there are times when I don't know what to do, questions like why is this happening to me, I had put in everything in my marriage, kept giving chances, tried my best, changed myself, did everything required to 'be happy' in my marriage...at some point I guess we do come across questions like 'why me' how do we deal with such emotions? How has one dealt with such emotions?

Morever, I know my parents are very strong as well and extremely supportive but being an Indian mother after all, there are times when she talks things like - "I am worried about you, your future, if you will ever get remarried again, how will raise your kid alone, we will be there for you always, but how long" I mean, she is very supportive and all in my decision, and I know she's genuinely worried about me, but such thoughts get into me as well, and I end up being depressed all day. She understands that I don't want her to worry about me, but just be happy that one day everything will solve and we all will be happy again....

Also, from my previous post I had mentioned how my husband was going around telling 'our couple friends' about me, bad mouthing me etc. They were my friends too...It's almost as if I lost all friends I had (maybe they weren't friends after all)...Friends could get judgmental, but all you sometimes expect is just a positive response, encouraging words that's all, right?

I think life is teaching me a LOT of things at once! Too many things to handle at the same time. Being straightforward and not manipulative doesn't work in this world. It almost makes me cry (tears rolling as I type this), if there is truly even one person who understands me....btw do I really need at least one person who understands me outside my family?

How did anyone else handle such tough times? I feel I am going more and more into isolation thinking I don't care about the society, the world around me, don't care what people talk about me, I am how I am...but don't we all have to live in this society? We keep saying, I don't care, I don't care, but how strong and confident can we stay, when there is so much negative happening around you? At some point, don't you feel you are going to give up?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

2. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

1. Donot badmouth your husband.
    2. Do some constructive analysis
    3. Wait for a turnaround- some men are worser.

3. dark

dark Bronze IL'ite

Hi dear

sorry to hear about your story.
    I separated from my husband 2 years before and i can totally understand what you are going through.
    believe me this time too shall pass and later on you will feel relief.
    do not worry about society , where was society when you were going through a hard time with your husband?
    you do not need to prove yourself to anyone , you only need to prove yourself to you and only you.
    your life is your journey once you will take responsibility of your life , everyone will keep their mouth shut.
    it is better not to be with people who hurts your emotions.

4. Madhulatha87

Madhulatha87 Bronze IL'ite

5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friend,
    You are going through the normal process of self analysis, soon you will bounce back and turn into a new person.
    Whether you file for divorce or not you have to bring in changes in yourself , we cannot change others only ourselves. This change has to be positive so that there are no repeats of previous incidents.
    If a DW is working/studying then she will acquire her own social circle.
    Please join some hobby classes, gym, visit parks , take walks or volunteer so that you spend a few hours away from home and start making a new life.
    Your Mom is just airing her concerns for you thats all.
    In case of separation the man continues with his routine and carries on with his life as he stays in his own house, has a job and waits for the DW to return and apologise.
    The wife has to face major upheaval and be roofless , depend on others for everyday things for self and kids while H leads a free bachelor life.
    You have to make fresh beginning with or without H , sooner the better.

6. shubhi21

shubhi21 New IL'ite

Hi dear,

I am feeling really bad for you.though i am new to this forum and this is the first time i have got to read about you,as u have mentioned above that you have shared your condition earlier too..

First of all,i want to say one thing to u,dat u can trust me and see me as a trustworthy friend.A friend who can understand you,who can understand your feelings,and your pain..i wish i could give you a warm hug..because you rightly said..family k alwa ek bhi aisa insaan nhi h jo mujhe smjh ske..and i too feel the same..family is part of you..they will alws support you but sometimes for your confidence you need someone else out of your famly..i don't know if my words would be able to make you realize that i can be your gud frnd. Now the decision is all yours.

now if i talk abut your life,situation..then m not the one who has gone through this situation in life..but still i can understand...being a women..i know how do you feel...thinking abut yourself,abut you life is not at all wrong..its necessary,according to me.if you are not happy,how can you keep your husband and child happy...if you are not alive,,your relationship is already dead. you should take care of yourself first and you gott to be strong enough to take the right decision.

its very difficult,but not impossible...it might take time for you to understand your life and its strategy but once you understnd you will be able to take it. i dont know if i am making sense to you or not..but i know you can do it..if you have given every try to save your marraige..den give a try to your own life now..and be strong..do whatever you like to do...go for shopping..treat your slf wid your favrt dish...cook something good for your parents..laugh out wid your child and your parents...go out..spend sometime with nature...do be afraid of spending time alone...i know dats d time when you get all the negitive thoughts,,,but if you are not able to tackle that time,,den it would be hard for you to live even. coz u can be happy with yourself,then no 1 can keep you happy.

please excuse me if i have said something which is irrelevant to you..these were just my thoughts,,thought of sharing wid you..coz i found out 2 common thing between us 1) giving 100% to your marriage.
    2) tears are rolling down while writing this.(your statement).i could so relate to you coz whenever i write my heart out..i feel the same..and that's why i said i can understand you,because i know when does it happen.

Regards,

1 person likes this.
  7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Your location says United States.

Are you filing for divorce in US or India?
    What do you expect from spouse for your child? Child support etc.?
    Can you both mutually agree for divorce for the benefit of child?

His badmouthing about you to common friend(s) shows his poor character and weakness. No worries regarding that. All of them will not abandon you. Do not counter your husband by badmouthing about him. You don't need to.

It takes far more courage to say and act on - "Hey, this marriage is not working out for me. Perhaps, I can make the most out of life without this marriage.". While you are going through worst of your emotions, these are one time feelings and you will be done with once for all. Be thankful that you have the support of your parents.

Please take care of your health and appearance. Gain confidence about yourself. Do not go through divorce process with an intention to take revenge on your ex-husband. Instead focus your energy on your self. Look ahead and find a new, better and compatible partner this time around.

2 people like this.
  8. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

Hugs to you my dear. What if i don't know you personally, you can count on me.

I know this is a very difficult phase for you, coz I have and still going through this phase. i will tell you some of my strategies which worked for me.

1. Don't keep on dwelling as to why this happened and stuff like that. It's of no use. On the contrary it will make you depressed. Whats happened can't be undone. As they say yesterday was history, today is your present and again tomorrow is a mystery. So live in day tight compartments and make each day happy by doing your best in whatever you do. i mean don't spoil your present.

2. I found this very liberating. Earlier I used to curse my ex as to why he spoiled my life. Then I thought that he was that way since beginning, it was my mistake that i got associated with him. he must be a devilish person prior to marriage also, but why I brought him into my life. So I am bound to experience pain. It was my bad luck. i am responsible for my plight. Hope I am making sense?

3. be occupied and busy. other than your work, do something which makes you happy. it could be anything my dear.but do it daily- gardening, helping someone, reading, blogging. Get busy with your kid.

4. And don't get bogged down by thinking that what will happen after your parents. God has send you alone in this world and you will go alone. Our existence in this universe doesn't depend on anyone. people have survived and will survive without anyone. At least you are lucky enough that you have an internet connection. millions of women in India have to think about their next meal.

5.Thank God that you are free from the clutches of your wicked husband who made your life hell. “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
    Dr. Seuss

6.Last but not the least, It's quite normal to feel sad and lonely when you see happy couples, but always remember now you have nothing to lose. Start focusing on what you have to gain.

All the best and feel free to vent. :thumbsup

7 people like this.
  9. varah

varah Silver IL'ite

Dear desilady13,

I have been through all these "all alone". Nothing can substitute this loss. I would call it fate. Try looking at the big picture rather. Its more than 3 years now. I am much more better than I was past year. I regained peace through being spiritual, silence.

Out of sight is out of mind. Please don't keep anything around you that will trigger old memories. I did not anyone's pity on me including my friends. It's purely a personal thing and I would let them know if there is any genuine intention. No one would understand what I went through and i do not want to go to justification mode. Moreover everyone has their own life to take care.

You will take your own time to get there where you will accept and move on. The mind wavering is ought to be there and unfortunately nobody can help, its just you who can help. The stress of what would be my future is bound to be there.

I don't know to tell you what you should be doing but these are the things you shouldn't do - skipping meals, unplanned leaves at office, back logs in baby care, forgetting to pay bills, avoiding prayers, keeping the house untidy and mising schedules.

Divert your complete attention towards the child. If the marriage is irretrievably broken down, its broken down. There is no use crying over split milk. Whatever it is, the If something is to happen, it will happen. What we could do is face it head-on.

This community has seen worst of the worst cases and people have gained lots of mental peace. I bet you going to be far better than you are today in next couple of months. May God Bless you !

2 people like this.
  10. desilady13

desilady13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for such an encouraging post. It's just the beginning for me now, so I know there are bound to be those days when I will feel down, isolated even despite having family around. It's def a blessing to have support from family, but then some days I just feel like talking - not talking about what happened and who's wrong but rather talk about "why some things happen in life", about destiny, about weather I was simply stupid to have continued in my marriage for so long or just did the right thing by being patient knowing things weren't right, you know - many many of such thoughts. Sometimes, all you need is a listening ear, not someone to show pity, I don't want pity, but just someone to hear me out....

Sometimes I think we try to give our everything in our marriage, fail to realize you cannot change someone, then you try and change yourself, but then you realize you are losing yourself in being someone you aren't...despite whatever the situation is, sometimes when 2 people aren't compatible, they just aren't! I keep thinking, I only wish, I realized this sooner..before I had the kid...

These days, I am def turning more and more spiritual, believe in Sai Baba, reading lots of his books, but then again if I go to the temple, there will be days when I see a happy couple with a kid, and unknowingly tears flow down, something's like that cannot be controlled, but I try my best to look at the reality again and focus on issues at hand.

Again, what you said is right varah, kid needs to be fed, diapers need to be changed, bills to be paid, exercise needs to be done, whatever it is that needs to be done, needs to be done.

I know I have put in 8 years in this marriage, although I want all the legal stuff to be over in a day, so that I can move on, it won't. I must accept reality. I just generally wanted to find out from other women who went through something like this, how did they handle themselves during this legal separation period, and how long it took for someone to try and be relatively 'normal' again?