Going Back To India For Retirement

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by EagerForInfo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Ya my daughter is married an American here in USA. I have my brother and family in USA. We have some assets in india. We don’t know what to do. Should we settle in USA or india. Can u guys help me and suggest

KashmirFlower likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The answer you will get from people is to do what makes you happy. In your retirement, if you want to do things like live in a place where you have all your relatives, attend events, visit temples, go for any small or big celebration etc go to India. If you prefer being around your kid and future grandkids, travel the US and other countries, have an idyllic retirement, live here.

What I think you should do is first of all look at your finances closely. It isn’t cheap to retire in the US. You do need a lot of money to live here and maintain a decent lifestyle. The first question you ask yourself should be if you can afford to retire in the US without relying on your daughter for financial support. If you do not have sufficient funds to live for the next 20 odd years without working in this country, then it’s best to relocate to India when you are physically able to. You should be able to move and set yourself up without having too many health related dependencies.
    Now, how much money do you need to retire? That’s a million dollar question. You will probably have to work with a personal financial consultant to figure that out. Depending on your lifestyle and age expectancy they have a way of predicting this.

Regarding property and assets in India, if you make the decision to live in the US, then it’s best you dispose off your property in India one by one and slowly move parts of the money to the US, where you will need it for your retirement. When/how etc you need a plan. It’s a long process to consolidate assets prior to retirement. It’s best to have a plan a few years before retirement and start working on it so everything is in place when you actually retire.

3. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

I think give more preference to medical facility availability while choosing a place. Climate issues can be solved with an a/c and considering the current whether in South India only few months are very hot.. rest are cold or rainy days..

anika987 likes this.
  4. indubalram

Ya but I’m afraid to leave my daughter alone here! What do you say for that?

5. Laks09

Alone? She has a family of her own. You should make your decision without being too emotional. Even people who move to India travel back and spend time with kids and grandkids yearly.

6. indubalram

But she has married an American

7. Laks09

Good for her! She found what she wants and from what you say, seems like she is having a good life.

8. indubalram

Oh ok

9. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Though I am not in US, I have always had this curiosity to know, how many indians retire in US and dont come back to India. Wanted to know how hard or easy it is. dont know why I am curious about something which is not related to me and I couldn't ask people I know in US for the fear of being blamed nosy.Thanks for this reply laks. Now I have some picture. Have always liked your responses. There is always something to learn and always seen in you a genuinity to help people

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    KashmirFlower, Laks09 and indubalram like this.
  10. indubalram

thanks a lot for your response but I have another fear.
    I have a fear about the relatives what would they say about my daughter s marriage and all that.