1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Goddess Laxmi in western clothes..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Arunarc, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Aruna
    What a deliciously refreshing story! And hilarious too! And congrats on your hit debut!:thumbsup
    Probabaly Goddess Lakshmi wanted to try western clothes and through you she got her wish finally! There is a first time for everything you know! Now that She has accepted your skirt and blouse I am a little curious as to what you are going to get her next year..do keep us posted!

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

I just don't believe my eyes!! I noted this title while quickly glancing through snippets and remember making a note of it. Ofcourse, the absent minded me did not note your name! Today, I almost fell off my chair reading your name but was not sure if you have written in the past in Snippets.

So, this IS your First Snippet offering and must say you have done an excellent job!:thumbsup The title itself is a rocker!

I totally empathize with the dilemma you faced this Diwali! It is a bridge that I crossed many many years ago. Well, my beloved Laxmidevi welcomes your western attired Goddess Laxmi, only, She too will be in T's and shirts and pants!! Yes yes and She is quite comfortable in it.:) :)

L, Kamla

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry friends for late reply my net is not working well so all this delay

Thank you Viji for telling that this is a hit....:bowdown
    You know I borught a saree but left it in Mumbai with my cousin whom you have already met...hehehe
    When yours and Goddess blessing are with me then sure to write next one soon.:crazy

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Arunarc

K2S not kalam da, ungliya ghuma diya hai key pad per now....hehehehe don't know what further.:hide:.....You know those forces na who are so strong until action taken will not allow you to breath...haha
    Sure sure actually na I have many stories about this place but those just needs to be put in words well.

5. Arunarc

Thank you Kamala[​IMG]
    She too needs some change na every time if you make her wear the same indian dress or saree she too will feel bugged[​IMG] , so asked her to change from this year...hahaha
    Oh next year I will have to compensate with her will have to offer her a grand saree....
    She cannot dance on my tunes everytime na, She might get angry with me.:)

6. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Dear Aruna,

you forgot the main crux of hinduis - it is way of live. you need not hunt fot dresses - ambal will wear what ever we offer. have'nt we heard that goddess live in forest also - so you could have offered clothes made of leaves or bark. what pa you forgot IL - must have asked us some suggestions - Sudha dear would have designed a small skirt and given it to wear - remember she has penchant for all these things - there is some saying in tamil... kaielai vechundu .... oru poora suthina [ having it in hand searched every where]
    it is so nice of you to write this as some time in life we too would have this problem. in mumbai - my mom faced similar problem - we did not get termeric leaf for pongal pane - hence we used some krotons [ kal vayazi] leaves.those red/yellow colour flowers.
    So when ever you have some sort of problem drop a letter in IL and we will silve your problem
    So now goddess lakshmi has unconditionally accepted your western outfit.thanks dear for sharing this

7. Arunarc

OMG look who's in this thread super duper moderator our dearest Kamla Habibi:bowdown
    Oh no hope you are not hurt, reading about this post...hehehe:crazy
    You are right when we stay out we try and do things with what we have. sometime there are no coconut, and another time you don't get flowers and another time with something like this but still we try and do it and make the festive season to come into our houses, and brighten us up.
    Thank you so much for being here. It was a real surprise to see you here.:):cheers

8. Arunarc

:biglaugh :biglaughNitya my Dear
    If I will offer her clothes that are made of leaves and bark then later I will have to wear the same...hehehehe
    But Nitya in ours whatever we offer it to God we have to wear it or have it ourself. We don't just make them wear the clothes and keep them aside. Even the water in the Kalas is to be taken by the family members as thirtum.
    If I had nothing that was my last solution that I will make a dress small one with my hands and make Her wear it, and later leave it in the river or sea. But how can Goddess accept such an offer from me which I had not done to Her for 20 years na so she gave me this solution and accepted this offering from me...:)
    You are right Nitya all of us have different things to offer our Lords but we need to do some such adjustments in order to perform the rituals which will make us satisfied and also the God.

9. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Aruna dear - there are ways that god can get things - keep flowres instead of gold, instead of flower give water. i belong to a very orthodox brahmin family. both my grand father were having tuft [kudumi] and both worked for british people. my mothers fathers was a treasurer in salem and appas father was working in killick nicson in mumbai- hence nothing could be given or shared with our school friends. i know thatha when amma offered coffee to a mulsim friend of appa - he used to shout at her for touching it. they failed to realise realities. when puja finishes my appa used to say that some daan to be given and as a brahmin he has right to take the offering and in a giffy all of us used to gush it down. life is like that because even today nobody feels that we [ me- and my sisters] are brahmins but a mix of hybrid parents.and we have a haughty laugh to see so many hypocrites within the social frame

Today when i recollect it makes me laugh- did i travel these paths. hence in the end as you say satisfaction is most important. rituals are like yoga these when followed in the correct prospective it will give us immense satisfaction because most of the rituals end with dhan to be given to others- modern day we unconsciously invite friends - so the process of dhan is accomplished - do we do this ?? so at the end of the day it is i-me-myself - thanks dear i did not mean to be serious but reflected the thought - modern day offerings

10. Arunarc

Na na Nitya I am not the person who take things serious. I liked what you have added here. I know how the Brahmins where when we were small kids. But today even these people are changing if they don't it will be difficult for them to survive in this world.
    Yes making dhaanam is one of the impotant rituals to all human beings, whatever caste, religion or community they belong to.
    Nice to have you once more here dear.