1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Goddess Laxmi in western clothes..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Arunarc, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

An incident happened with me during Diwali time which I would like to share it with you all. I know this is my 1<SUP>st</SUP> post in snippet and I am writing this becoz of my friends who want me to share this here. As I am not so good writer so do bare with me.

When we stay aboard sometimes such incident happens and nothing is in our hands. We should learn to adjust and pray to God to forgive us. As I am sure that She will understand our situation.

During Diwali I usually do Laxmi pooja. Calling all my friends and have a gala party at home but this year becoz of some personal reason we are not to celebrate any festivals this whole year so have celebrated all my festivals in a very simple way.

This not celebrating it grandly had made a home in my head.:)

For the Pooja, I usually take a kalas and decorate it with mango leave ornaments, with haldi kumkum, flowers, and I keep 5 types of fruits, money in one dish, five types of dry fruits, prasadam(any homemade sweet as Prasad) and new clothes. Before one week for Diwali I was not aware that I did not buy new dress this time for the puja.

As not celebrating festivals in grand way had made a place in my head that no celebrating any festivals made a home. I went twice to India but still did not buy any new dress. Even what I had purchased I left it in India that I will need it when I come back. But this offering to Goddess just slipped off my head. The day came and I got panic thinking what will I do, spoke to my DH. As usual, do puja without the clothes I said no way from last 20 years I am doing this pooja and this year I cannot miss even one thing in puja. Then he told do what you want are you going to keep pants and shirt for Goddess?? :rant

I said no no, no way... how can I do that She will be angry with me...:crazy

Now I knew only one person who is going to come to my rescue and that is my mom...hehe
    I called her and told her my condition, 1<SUP>st</SUP> she started with her blah blah what is this?? what are you going to do now?? how can you do puja without clothes and all......

Suddenly she remembered that when I went in September to India I had brought a silk saree she asked me what you did with that?? That saree is not here in your cupboard I think you took it....
    I told her yes Amma I took it but kept it in Mumbai (becoz my tailor who stitches my blouse is in Mumbai) she started :bang. Now what are you going to do........

I told her you cool down I have something cooking in my head I will tell you and you tell me if that is fine......
    Mom...shoot
    Me... see we wear long skirt and blouse that is also an Indian dress isn’t it..
    Mom..yes
    Me...I know it is not of silk but cotton but I think that will be fine na..
    Mom...Ya that will be ok...but from where are you going to buy long skirt and blouse .. now don’t tell me T-shirt is ok..:rant
    Me ..no no I will buy something like a Indian blouse loose not tight one.
    Mom...ok but see to that skirt is simple and not very fancy and the top too simple one
    I said ok and kept the phone.

Now I had to hunt for a long skirt and blouse here and I know most of the clothes here are all with frills and what not. Suddenly thought of Bella Donna who has simple but good clothes. Was waiting for DH to come home. As soon as he came I told him about mom, and told him we will have dinner fast and go out for shopping. Poor guy who came home fully tired had to come again with me. Went to BellaDonna and asked her to show us some good skirts that lady started with some zigzag skirts I told her I want something very simple and elegant one. Then she got me some nice coloured skirts I bought one of them. Now hunting for the blouse poor damn the sale girl showed so many matching tops but nothing was matching which I can offer it to Goddess. I told DH I think let us try in the next shop. At that moment from somewhere she got one top it was beautiful and the colour too was good I told her whatever the price is just pack it.

So my dear friends this is how I had to offer My Dear Goddess Laxmi with western clothes.:biggrin2:

And with such naughty devotees of Her, She wore it happily.:bowdown

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

2. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Aruna dear......firstly I can understand what tension you must have gone through since you have been celebrating Lakshmi Puja for so many years without any interruption....but I strongly believe in one thing.....that if the goddess/god wants something he will come in any avatar and take what is reightfully hers/his......

See, in your puja also, she wanted to take the role of a modern woman.....and taken her gift from you......

I really loved the way you had described the whole incident and best wishes to come up with more interesting snippets........am damn sure that you can write very well my friend......

3. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

hi
    very nicely written.....!
    at last found and offered goddess laxmi the best outfit.....!

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aruna,
    Well written yaar...........Goddess Laxmi n Western clothes just imagining I am laughing:rotfl Hope Mother Lakshmi doesnt mind this:hide:

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

aruna dear
    nice post and hilarious too.the thought of offering matters more rather than what we offer.we are offering whatever is hers and she would definitely accept.lord krishna says he wants only total devotion and even few tulasi leaves and water would be fine.anyway happy that you could perform the puja without fail and get her blessings.

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear EQ,

A very good narration. I was with you shopping for Diwali. SHE is our Mother and knows her kids too well. Hence no problem once in a while she too can wear western clothes na.. won't she get bored of the same pink silk saree always?

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Laltha,
    You hit the nail yaar:rotfl

8. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

Hi Delite

Incidental Lakshmi Puja you had, i like it.

Everything is in one's perception , it is up to us to contemplate and do rational thinking.May be some traditions we would like to do to what we have been told.When in Rome be a Roman, so that applied quite well to you dear.Whatever we offer with a pure heart and mind is good as Gita says.

Good day
    :cheers

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Aruna,

Very nicely narrated. I can totally understand the situation you were during the puja.

Dont worry dear. I am sure, She must have enjoyed the new western outfit

:cheers

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Aruna,
    [JUSTIFY]
    Im so suprised to see you snippeting.I just recalled my memory whether you have written before but good that you mentioned its first time otherwise I would have blamed my poor memory.Hmm seems lakshmi became ultra modern bcoz of you.I couldnt stop laughing about the skirt & blouse hunt:rotfl.'What an idea Mam ji' :)I liked your intention & the rapport you shared with her for 20 years:cheers.Hope you will share lighter stories such as these in future too.
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010