GMAT scores

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by asuitablegirl, Feb 19, 2009.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I'm going to take the GMAT this summer and I need at least a 500 to be admitted to the Masters of Accounting program.

Did any of you take the GMAT yet? If so, what were your scores, how much did you study to achieve your score, and what is your overall verbal and mathematical background?

I'm trying to get an idea of how much I need to study and what score I can expect. Thanks everyone!

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ASG,
    Good Luck on your GMAT exams. I did take up GMAT but this was in 2006, things may have changed.
    I can't find my actual score card but I did score in the 97th percentile. The Essay score was 6/8(I'm guessing).
    I'm ok in verbal but I do have a bachelors in Comp Sc,Math and Stats so the Math portion of the test was a breeze for me.
    I studied for about 2 hrs a day for a month.

Btw, from your writing skills, the verbal part should be very easy for you(also the essay). Not sure of math but I'm pretty sure you'll ace the test :thumbsup.

Good Luck.

L

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Btw, ASG, I forgot to mention, some schools do consider only the GMAT general score and not the essay score. Do check to see if you need a particular score in the Essay as well.
    Oh, and I studied only from the Barron's GMAT book. I did the sample tests at the end and the actual exam format was similar to that. They did have a CD to go along with the book but I didn't find the time to try it out. I've heard from friends that the CD is a close simulation of the actual exam.

Good Luck,

L

4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

asuitablegirl,
    GMAT score is depends upon the school you are targeting at. Essay score is not that important. the average is 4-4.5 out of 6. Kaplan is a good resource for essay.

Other than that, Verbal and Quants parts. Quants - 37 questions - 75 mins.
    Verbal - 41 questions - 75 mins.

You can easily get 500. Its not a big deal. GMAT original guides will help you understand the strategy. Also, MBA.com is providing two free practical tests which are similar to the real GMAT. Whtever you get in those tests, you'll definitely get 50+ or 50- from that score. Most of them will get the same score.

All the best. Let me know if you are looking for more information regarding this.

5. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Thanks ladies!

I'm good in verbal, not so good in math. I'm in accounting and people think you have to be soooo good in math, but actually I really struggle if the math goes beyond basic algebra. I guess I need to practice this.

My school only requires 500. So that's why I was interested to know how hard it is to achieve that score.

Uma, I'm aware of that website because that's where you have to sign up to register. I've taken a look at the practice tests and the math looks hard, that's why I'm nervous! But you say 500 is easy so now I feel a little less worried... thanks!!!