1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gifts From Mother

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Jun 6, 2016.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

The things in the kitchen are so attached to the women using them. I am sure most of you will agree. Though we manage if we go to some other place and have to cook, we sure miss our vessels and our kitchen. The most difficult adjustment among them is the dosa kal. At home we make the crispiest dosas but the minute we go into someone elses kitchen, we struggle to make dosas in their dosa kal. It takes a while to get used to.

When I got married the Mixie that was most popular was a brand called “Sumeet”. I too had the same. It lasted me so many years that the need to change it never occurred. Like all good things coming to an end, so did my Mixie. It konked and the mechanic said the motor was gone. I lived without a mixie for a while. Times change everything, so also the trend of the new mixie. We see so many ads for Mixies on TV. But your mind is so set on what you have used. Similarly, my love for Sumeet was so strong, that I did not want a change, though this was outdated. The new mixies come in so many designs. Finally, one evening my husband decided he cannot do without his chutneys and bought a mixie, without informing me. It was “Preethi”. I was first angry that he did this without telling me. But the need for grinding was more. So started using this. Though different from Sumeet, it was good. I got used to this and used this for almost 10 years. Then slowly it became very noisy. I wanted it serviced, but my husband was adamant. He said it has served its life and to buy a new one.

This time though he left the choice to me. All women will agree that we are more cost conscious than men. We are not impulsive buyers. So the mixie buying venture began. I went through Amazon , Flipkart visited a few shops etc. Compared prices. I felt all prices were high. A branded mixie cost more than Rs. Four Thousand. In one of the shops I saw the “Phillips”. It said low sound mixie. The sales man gave a great talk. He said it Is the best in the market today. I don’t know if I fell for the sales talk or the Mixie I purchased it.

A few days after this my office boy asked me for one day leave. He said Amma is giving a grinder and mixie and he has to go to his home town to collect it. I asked him what he was going to do after collecting it. He said he needs the grinder, but will sell the mixie for whatever price he gets. I was very, very sad. I had missed the chance. Had I waited one more week, I would have got a Government approved/ made mixie at a through away price. Really, Really sad, Sulked and sulked for a few days.

Now my sister had visited from Australia. She wanted to buy a mixie and when she heard people were selling “Ammas” Mixie at throw away price she bought it. Fully packed probably with “Ammas”photo on the carton (I Don’t know because I did not see it) carried it all the way to Brisbane.

Yesterday we were on skype. She said she has to grind something. I then asked her how is her “Ammas” Mixie. She said it is in her car shed. She said when she grinds in it , it is like running a jet engine. So loud that you cannot stand near it. Deafening. So she is using her old mixie.

I was beaming with happiness. Glad I escaped.:grinning:

Don’t they say “Kasu ketha paniyaram”

(You get your bread as per your money)

VaniVyas, Amica, LuvLadoo35 and 5 others like this.

2. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

Ha ha ha.
    The title should 've been gift from Amma:roflmao:

umaakumar and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha wondering what would be the status of scooty? See how disrespectful 'Mother' word has turned into ... Do Amma's kitchens use those deafening mixie? Glad you escaped. Feel sorry for your sister though

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Except the bicycles all Amma's gifts are either in the car shed or loft.It is Amma's gift,Has to be preserved as a memory only.Table fan also makes lot of noise making even neighbours wake up.They use the cheapest motor and other accessories.As you say,kaasukku etha pandam.

In olden days they had bronze pots of various sizes for cooking rice, pongal etc and they lasted for generation.Even I have two such pots unused in my loft.

But now we have to change Pressure cooker for every five years,mixies, grinders,fridge and A/C for 10 years and washing machines even earlierWe have to invest at least 5 times in all these things-too scarry to add up the amount for a middle class family.
    We can't live without them.
    "vendiyum irukku. Vethanaiyaavum irukku '.What to do?
    Very much enjoyed the snippet.Spoken everyone's mind.
    You have echoed the feelings of all women.Thank you.
    Jayasala 42

jskls likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@umaakumar, I loved your snippet! Congratulations on your new Phillips mixer and especially on escaping Amma's jet engine. :lol: