Gifts for various Religious Functions

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by gvi, May 2, 2007.

1. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,
    After seeing your post with beautiful photos of various gift items, I am missing chennai and Kumbakonam(Where I am basically from ). Next time when I come to channai I have plenty of ideas to shop around. Thanks for your wonderful tips.

Cheers,
    Birundha

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Birundha,
    4 yrs back, I went to Kumbakonam & I was fascinated by the shop Swaminathan & Co. I bought many brass items there, urulis, lamps etc of various sizes! I use those urulis for keeping flowers in water, very regularly ! The lamps, plates make good gifts !
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi everyone
    hey chith wen u tell me abt urulis.the shops near kapali temple sell terracotta urulis in various sizes i think the smallest ones are really great for gifting only drawback is that they need careful packin.
    but even vijaya stores has got various stuff for giftin purposes white metal vilakkus and kunkuma chimizh nice ones which are stone studded.
    i think if we have small children or teenagers cumin we can select seperate thamboolam for them like givin them a set or the in thing now is these slender golusu without the trinkets in silver u get them in sukra close ones u can give them that with scrunchie clips pottu rubberbands etc.
    and for babys ofcoz u wud get dolls there if they are boys some car bommai or sumtin of their interest.
    though i have posted this late hope it wud help in the cumin functions.
    and senior people please do comment if i am right with my suggestions.
    chith those bags were really nice did u get all of them from queens?
    have to do my research coz i will be back for navaratri.i have decide wat to give.
    luv and cheers
    pavi:wave

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear geetha,
    dont forget to add the thazhamboo kumkumam of madurai, u get it in chennai also it is a great hit, and i pack a kg of it for my aunt whenever she comes, sathya helps getting it for me from madurai....regards sunkan

5. Chitvish

Dear Pavi,
    The blue & red churukku pais are from Queens (they stock them only during festive season) & the rest are from Sundari Silks.
    All your suggestions are good. But terracota urulis start looking old, very soon ! So I suggest metal ones are best & worth the money.
    Love,
    Chith.

6. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

thats great.
    i have heard that givin lamps is suppose to be auspicious is it true?
    and chith those bags were really cute so will keep them as one option.
    luv
    pavi:)

7. Chitvish

Dear Pavi,
    Yes, gifting lamps is auspicious, from the theoritical point of view !
    But practically, we get lamps of all sizes, shapes & metals, that much against out sentiments, we reluctantly start the game "passing the parcel".
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  8. vidyavenky

vidyavenky New IL'ite

Hi,

Every one have given very beautiful ideas. You can also give incense sticks holder (uudupathi kozhal) which comes in white metal with some desions on that. It really looks fancy and very useful to store the incense sticks. I got that from blr last year for navarathi.

vidya.

sindmani likes this.
  9. umaganapathy

umaganapathy New IL'ite

Hi All,

I could see so many wonderful ideas for Thamboolam gifts. Here are some of my ideas.

We can give jewellery purses which comes in different variety of cloths with works on it, its very convenient for travel and to even keep in lockers, it has lots of zipped packets for more organised storage in small space.

We can give God/Goddess north indian style decorative ornaments made of zari and cloth. Set contains Crown, dresses, necklace and bracelet. This comes in different sizes and colors you can pick the size you like.

We get these in Gift Shops in Parrys behind Pookadai Police Station Bus Stop, Chennai.

Regards,
    Uma

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  10. umaganapathy

umaganapathy New IL'ite

Hi All,

I could see so many wonderful ideas for Thamboolam gifts. Here are some of my ideas.

We can give jewellery purses which comes in different variety of cloths with works on it, its very convenient for travel and to even keep in lockers, it has lots of zipped packets for more organised storage in small space.

We can give God/Goddess north indian style decorative ornaments made of zari and cloth. Set contains Crown, dresses, necklace and bracelet. This comes in different sizes and colors you can pick the size you like.

We get these in Gift Shops in Parrys behind Pookadai Police Station Bus Stop, Chennai.

Regards,
    Uma