Gifts for the Festive Season

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by prabhanc, Jul 13, 2015.

1. prabhanc

prabhanc New IL'ite

Hi
    With Ganesh festival, vara lakshmi pooja, navratri and deepavali around the corner, i would like to urge you all to think about giving handmade things as gifts - be it a small decorated lamp or rangoli, an embroidered kurti or a crocheted pooja thali cover or table mats, place an order with a craftsperson or a work from home lady and support them. Havent we all had enough of blouse pieces/ steel trays and plastic dabbas? what do you all say? think ahead and place your orders now for your favorite handmade things - handmade takes time to make but your gift will always be cherished.
    regds
    Prabha

1 person likes this.

2. charischandraka

charischandraka New IL'ite

you can also think about dry fruits in decorative bags/boxes. gift bhi health bhi :)

1 person likes this.
  3. prabhanc

prabhanc New IL'ite

I agree Charischandraka, for diwali gifts. But I am talking about simple stuff that is given to women who visit your home during these festival, stuff that is given along with haldi kukum and flowers and a fruit or a coconut. In the south, a blouse piece is usually given with haldi kumkum and ask anyone, and they will tell you that these never get used and are simply passed around.It is true of stainless steel bowls, trays and dabbas too.

4. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

For the past few years I have avoided plastic, stainless steel. Since it is auspicious fto give piece of cloth to elders, I give blouse piece of good quality to elders. I know it will be given away, but dont give too much thought towards it. It is a feel good factor for me. Nowadays, I get small handicraft works like toran, brass lamps, decorative items made of brass, shell work, kundan kolams, terracotta lamp, embroidered pouches etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. prabhanc

prabhanc New IL'ite

Good idea Nirmala. torans, kolams and embroidered pouches will be used far more than blouse pieces. Lamps do get used a lot during the festive season. I prefer to make something useful like a cell phone pouch or a pooja thali cover in crochet and I usually start in july/august so that i have the required number of pieces ready by navratri. One year i made telephone mats/center table doilies in different colors and i still see them being used by my friends and neighbours who received them. I also take orders to make them for neighbours and many have commented how happy the receivers were and how the handmade pieces are treasured .

1 person likes this.
  6. prabhanc

prabhanc New IL'ite

Good idea Nirmala. torans, kolams and embroidered pouches will be used far more than blouse pieces. Lamps do get used a lot during the festive season. I prefer to make something useful like a cell phone pouch or a pooja thali cover in crochet and I usually start in july/august so that i have the required number of pieces ready by navratri. One year i made telephone mats/center table doilies in different colors and i still see them being used by my friends and neighbours who received them. I also take orders to make them for neighbours and many have commented how happy the receivers were and how the handmade pieces are treasured .

1 person likes this.
  7. pinkytyagi92

pinkytyagi92 Bronze IL'ite

I'm completely agree with @prabhanc ! We all must follow Indian culture as well as think about hand made gifts like prabhanc suggested us. Indian is a great country where all Religious people live together & there are many festival of each Religious in every months. So we should more to hand made gift to present on festivals as well as on any casually festival, events etc.

Indian prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi also discuss about it before with peoples & request to use hand made things.

8. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Very true Prabha. We should go for handmade things.

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Good idea regarding hand made things.Thanks for suggesting.

10. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Thanks for idea for suggesting hand made items