Gifts For Family In India..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by swarnamary, Feb 21, 2023.

1. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

As we are travelling to india as a family after birth of my daughter we like to take some gifts for kids and my bil families.. for kids we are buying according to their needs and its all my husband choice as its only once in a while we visit, but what would be nice give to give to a family???? my co sis they are ok as i talk to them rarely only whenever i visit there or couple of times on phone not so so close but okay one of them is tooo tooo picky and gets in our very personal matters, thats different story.. but sake of my husband i want to keep this trip as pleasant as it can be and also to make myself satisfied i like to take them something, as i didnt take anything specially for family in this 14 yrs of marriage.. (very first time my husband visiting them i bought dresses for girl from mall,they didnt like them so i stop buying of my choice and let my husband figure it out)..please pass on some advices/suggestions...

what can be given for teenage girlboys,college girls...

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: no suggestions..... is everyone already busy packing up for summer vacation..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Why don't you ask the kids on what they want than giving them something which you think will be useful but they don't care about it.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

Problem i think is when we ask kids what they want and they give us a list which might be beyond my budget as now all the kids all on lot of gadgets than elders , instead of going in that direction i like to get some ideas from here.

I remember when i was a kid, someone visit us from USA (as all my relatives are here) its like more than festival they get us the goodies,new clothes,new things and more over we get to see them be either cousins,aunts,uncle, and mostly my grandparents who use to visit back and forth so much...those memories are so sweet..

i remember we use to get one candy a day only that too foreign candy hahahaha... it was starburst hahahahha...

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I hear you.

Having received and given gifts, less than 20% of the gifts are satisfactory. I would replace it with experiences instead.

When I look back, the memories of having spent time with people are what I cherish.

Try to carve out 3 to 4 days for a trip somewhere and you can spend money during the trip for fun and being together. The bond you create will live much longer and deeper than what a gift can do.

Still get something simple and unique, but find time to be together. I always do this and have never regretted.

How old are the kids and what is your budget.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Leave husband's side gift purchases completely to him. No matter how much time, effort and money you put into buying, returning, packing ... the chances of any appreciation from your husband or the recipients is close to zero. That is how it is. No one really gets the amount of time it takes to look for gifts.

Practically anything you get in the U.S. is available in India now. Except for Apple products perhaps, it hardly makes sense to take things from the U.S. to India.

My friends now take smaller generic items to gift. And, in India, they take the family saree shopping or other mall shopping.

For the generic items, portable personal fans were a big hit with young and old alike. "O2 cool" is a good brand. Their 5 inch battery fans and USB fans are powerful, quiet and sturdy. Of course, similar items are also available on amazon.in.

In my last trip, I did one personal fan plus one box of chocolates per family. For the older people, I took the soft Lindt truffles (white).

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

May be laptop/tablet backpack bags, which can hold some books and other stuff also.

swarnamary likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Was the case for us too. The 3-4 day trip with whole family, or a local one day thing with the teens are remembered fondly years later by all.

Looks odd to go empty-handed so take something small as a "gift" to give but more money goes on doing things together in India.

Thoughtful and swarnamary like this.
  9. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

yes we are planning to do something together.. kids are college going boys,girls..one is 12 yr old.
    we already got laptop for one of the kid.

my husband is going to get something or other for kids here or there, my thinking is for the family as i cant take gift for everyone

i will add this to the list as they are college going kids... thank you..

you said it exactly no appreciation..
    personal fan idea is good will look into that...
    family saree shopping is good too with all the ladies. and a big hole in our purse....:thinking::thinking::thinking:...just kidding but good idea too...
    chocolates are must too...
    this is what i am trying to do i dont want to go empty handed.but have good time with family is must too as i want to kids to know their cousin... especially my 10 yr old....

now what to take for my MIL:number_one:
    she is good hearted lady....:sweatsmile:

KashmirFlower likes this.
  10. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

i dont have any budget on mind but if i find something i think they can use it i buy it.
    say like 50 dollars...

Thoughtful likes this.