1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift Suggestions For Seemantham

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by PurpleRoses, Nov 7, 2023.

1. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Gold IL'ite

Hey all,
    My cousin sister is 7months pregnant and her MIL is hosting traditional seemantham in coming month. I am invited ofcourse.
    Need help with suggestions as to what should I gift her.
    Budget for gift in mind is around ₹2,000. (Please don't judge for the low budget. We are middle class and I do not believe in show off with expensive gifts)
    She is almost 10yrs younger to me so not that great bond or closeness with her. Only our communications are limited to the yearly family meet-up or WhatsApp festival wishes.
    I wish to gift her something she would love to have it and it be useful for her as well.

She is comparatively well off than us as her husband n his family are well settled. So I am confused on what to give that it won't look or give impression of cheap instead would genuinely be useful to her and she understand my genuine care for her in that gift.

Current ideas in my mind are -
    1. new born baby clothing/essentials set (but I feel it's so common n she may get it from others too),
    2. the mom's co skincare gift set for both mom and baby
    3. Silver item like goddess Lakshmi idol or Bal gopal Krishna idol ( my husband has problem with this. He says we shouldn't give lakshmi or Bal gopal idol as gift to others.
    But I can convince him ultimately if i finalise on this.)
    4. Silver kumkum box/small bowl/kamakshi deepam

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When you are not close to the mom-to-be and her husband, in-laws, it is prudent to avoid any gift that can be misconstrued by anyone in the family or at the function. So, skip the goddess or Krishna idol idea. Same for any items for the baby. Some people don't buy any baby items before the baby is born, except the most essential ones.

A silver item like Kamakshi deepam is best overall.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  3. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

If you are not that close to her, you may not have an idea of her likes/dislikes. Why don't you just gift her that amount in cash so that she can get herself something that she will use?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I usually give a set of nice muslin swaddle cloths or bibs.

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yes, at least if they are doing Seemantham and are traditional - this would be a no-go area - please do not buy anything for the baby.

Anything the mother can use would be helpful!

Memory foam pillows/cushions to make her posture easier in the next couple of months comes to my mind - Check some that can be re-used after birth also - while holding the baby/ feeding etc
    A bed-table could be useful right now to work/read over her stomach - but later can be used while taking care of baby..
    A spa-voucher or amazon voucher for the amount would ensure she does something for herself....

But Silver deepam is safe - as is a silver bowl or glass

Keep smiling
    HR