Gift Suggestions For Close Friend - Range $1000-2000

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looking for gifts to buy for a childhood friend and neighbor who was my sister's classmate. She and her family helped out a lot with our parents in the last decade. Her husband and she are visiting the U.S. for their niece's arangetram. They are high-level executive folks in India who have everything and their lifestyle is way above mine. My budget for the gift is a total of $1500-2000.

DH suggested an 'experience' rather than a gift item. Like, arrange for their stay in a luxury hotel if they are stopping over on the way to the U.S. Or if they are going sightseeing in the U.S. gift an expensive experience like an aerial tour. But looks like they are both busy professionals and coming over only for a week or so.

As always, the lady is easier to shop for. A unique piece of jewelry or purse will do in a pinch. The man -- I am not sure. DH said how about an expensive wine bottle ... I think if it is that expensive people will keep the wine for ever and not have it. : ) Plus, I cannot ask the lady if she or they drink wine. And cannot wait till they come over and offer it and see if they take or refuse.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi ,

Some of the options for men that i could think of :

1: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...izeAM-_-skimlinks_phg-_-True Content-_-305950

2: https://www.barneys.com/category/men/accessories/sunglasses-eyewear/N-9mv7p0

3: https://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/b...hqQPkQTfmRo2geFQGRfpFqbGoOPaizky4Kah.jsession

4: https://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/m...hqQPkQTfmRo2geFQGRfpFqbGoOPaizky4Kah.jsession

5: Nordstrom

Experiences are better than gifts i think specially in the U.S . But besides that , gadgets that are not yet readily available in India could be an option as well.

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  3. EightKittens

EightKittens Silver IL'ite

You might want to look at getting a nice leather briefcase or laptop bag from Brooks Brothers. Most nice items from Brooks Brothers will run into the $1000ish range.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I would recommend buying a gift only for the lady, and not the man. Men are difficult, especially if an acquaintance has to buy a gift. In America we buy them socket wrench sets for Christmas:frown:, and it is always accepted with perfunctory thanks.

If they are going to be met face to face in a "stop-over" in/near your city, it is best to put them up in a five star hotel (have room service bill you) and give a gift to the lady. If they are not stopping over, then buy the gift to the lady, and send them both a profusely thanking card where you might say how fortunate your whole family is to have such good benefactors...etc.

sokanasanah, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Luxury handbags, perfumes or watches for the woman.
    For the man - Cufflinks, perfume, or pure leather belts.
    Or if they are hale and hearty how about sky diving!!

Laks09, Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

12 Bottle Case Elouan Oregon Pinot Noir 2017 w/ Free Shipping

Oregon in the USA specializes in Pinot Noir wines. One may take a holiday with visits to two or three wineries a day, and a stay in a beach resort hotel. These wines are reds with a light body (higher light transmission than a heavier bodied wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah). They react quite fast with air (oxygen) when poured into a glass (use a Pinot Noir glass), and offer a new bouquet(smell)

Goes well with many lightly flavored meat dishes. Spicy hot (Andhra style) foods would require a thicker bodied wine.

Now that you are in the mood to splurge, buy this for the man you know well. And share.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Don’t ask. Just scan their social media profiles if it’s available :grin:

Amica, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Wish I had known this atleast a day earlier ;)

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Why ... did Oregon go into the pacific in an earthquake or something ?

Pinot Noirs from various regions are also available at your nearest Trader Joe's.
    Riedel brand has reasonably priced Pinot Noir wine glasses.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Laks09 and shravs3 like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Nah actually nothing related to Oregon but wine selection :tongueout:

Amulet likes this.